Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Is My MicroReel Normal Or Broke...........???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is My MicroReel Normal Or Broke...........???

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
    Rick, can the micro explorer be plugged into a wall outlet for more power or if the battery dies?

No.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      If you are dealing in Cast that much I would get a Mini reel.... The issue with the micro lighting CI has been discussed a few times that I remember... I know I have mentioned it before

(see the last post in the very first thread introducing the microreel )

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighting&page=3

Yes, it was your post that had me asking questions about the lighting before I bought it. I didn't hear of any other bad lighting complaints.

Comment

Add a power plug to the better bulb list.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

What would it have took/take for Ridgid to beef up the lights ?

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            Rick, can the micro explorer be plugged into a wall outlet for more power or if the battery dies?

oficially no, since there is no adapter that ridgid makes for it.

unofficially, it should be pretty simple as it's a low amp draw and the voltage does vary from charged to discharged.

i think a battery elimator would be a wise choice as the factory battery takes a good time to charge.

should be pretty simple to either strip out a burned out battery pack or install a jack in the cover.

of course this voids the warranty unless ridgid has designed and approved the adapter.

lets see if josh has some thoughts

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              oficially no, since there is no adapter that ridgid makes for it.

unofficially, it should be pretty simple as it's a low amp draw and the voltage does vary from charged to discharged.

i think a battery elimator would be a wise choice as the factory battery takes a good time to charge.

should be pretty simple to either strip out a burned out battery pack or install a jack in the cover.

of course this voids the warranty unless ridgid has designed and approved the adapter.

lets see if josh has some thoughts

rick.
              What's the run time on a full charge? Maybe come out with a 15 minute quick charger.
              Or have it charge when its plugged into the unit would be nice for when the battery is low or dies.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                That looks about right for 4" Cast...

If this is normal why are these being marketed for lines up to 4" when most videoed 4" lines are going to be cast ???

Comment

I had an idea once. Ridgid should make a battery operated skid ball with tiny LED lights to supplement the camera lighting

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I had an idea once. Ridgid should make a battery operated skid ball with tiny LED lights to supplement the camera lighting
                    You been reading minds again or just page one of this thread

"I have been working on a centering ring that has built in LED lighting to help supplement / compliment the micro's or any cameras limited lighting capabilities , The lighting ring would move the lighting away from the lens thus preventing the bleedover and would be capable of delivering much more light with a better pattern that could actually be made adjustable to suit each camera heads optical characteristics ...
                    ..(Josh if you would like info Call Me) "

Comment

Alright.. I wanted to put together some visual aids for this and put together a nice full explanation.
                      • The EXPLORER will never drive the lights as hard as a full Size monitor. Its a tradeoff on the smaller, lower priced CCU. Just not enough voltage to drive as hard.
                      • There is no AC adapter for the Explorer. (But this request has been heard for future generations )
                      • Battery life with Full LEDs on the microReel is approximately 90 minutes. (30 minutes with green bar, 30 minutes with red bar, and even another 30 minutes after blinking RED)
                      • While lighting in 4" Cast (with EXPLORER) is not great, you can still complete an inspection and identify issues in the line.
                      Suggestions for maximizing lighting
                      • Use the lighting level that the EXPLORER starts up with. The Startup lighting is the highest possible lighting setting. Adjusting the lighting will never improve on the startup brightness and sometimes doesn't allow you to get up to the max level again.
                      • Use a centering guide when in 4" dark pipe (comes with microReel)
                      • Keep your lens as clean as possible. Junk on the front of the camera will always reduce lighting. In dark situations its important to keep the lens as clear as possible.

MONITOR Vs. EXPLORER Sample Videos

Click here to see videos in ABS, White PVC, and Cast Iron with the EXPLORER and the same runs with the CS1000
                      Last edited by Josh; 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

josh, nice videos and explanation.

i tend to use the microexplorer with the microdrain and the dvdpak with the microreel.

dark/ cast, abs colors absorb lighting and lighter colors/ pvc reflect the light.

using the microexplorer on large dark pipe is not a good match.

thanks for jumping on this so quickly

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I don't know, my few experiences with 4" cast have been much darker than the sample video and the one posted here http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36976

I'm embarrassed to have the customer looking on asking questions when I don't even know what I'm seeing............

I didn't know I would need a $5000.00 CS1000 to get a half way decent video

I don't think the MicroReel should be spec'd out to do 4" lines as most videoed 4" lines are cast.

Just goes to show you can never do too much research on a product before purchase. I thought I had done enough

Anyone want to buy a MicroReel that only has about 100 feet of travel on it ?

Bumming...............

Comment

tymester

i like to jab you about drums, but we are both on the same page here. that's only good for a blind guy. joshies works a lot better. maybe joshie will see fit to trade you even up. only seems fair to me. but what do i know, i ain't nobodies groupie. hope this works out. hell as a last resort throw it away and claim it as theft on your insurance. breid..............

Comment

I have seen it in a action on 4" c/i........pretty sad

Comment

CS1000 isn't the only CCU that pushes the lights harder. miniPak, DVDPak, CS10, LCDPak, along with all our old monitors.

Cast Iron sucks up a lot of light regardless what you're using... My suggestions on my first post help in keeping the lighting as high as possible. 2 most important are probably just leaving the led level alone from startup (dont adjust) since that will keep your lights the highest with the EXPLORER. The other is to make sure you are using a ball guide.

I agree your video looks a lot darker than mine but it appears that you are either not using a ball guide or it is actually 6" pipe. When in dark cast iron it is absolutely essential to get above the water line with a ball guide so your not loosing half your light. Also... some of the darkest parts of the video appear to have junk on the lens of the camera.

Please try the above suggestions and let us know if you get some improvement.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X