Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is My MicroReel Normal Or Broke...........???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is My MicroReel Normal Or Broke...........???

Your still stuck paying another 2,000 just for the smallest monitor.
    For a better picture quality? That's crazy! The micro explorer should have been beefed up with a stronger battery for sewer inspections. $3,500 is a lot of money for poor lighting.
    How bright are the lights on the explorers light vs the see snake head?
    I know josh and his team will fix this issue. A.t put all trust and money in this unit.
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Contrary to what Josh said I get better lighting in cast iron WITHOUT a ball guide. Now I don't see much up top but mostly what I'm looking for is at or below the flow level of 4".

Root intrusion from the top is still easily spotted if you go slow enough.

Still looks like 6" to me? but ill go on your word its 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        CS1000 isn't the only CCU that pushes the lights harder. miniPak, DVDPak, CS10, LCDPak, along with all our old monitors.

Cast Iron sucks up a lot of light regardless what you're using... My suggestions on my first post help in keeping the lighting as high as possible. 2 most important are probably just leaving the led level alone from startup (dont adjust) since that will keep your lights the highest with the EXPLORER. The other is to make sure you are using a ball guide.

I agree your video looks a lot darker than mine but it appears that you are either not using a ball guide or it is actually 6" pipe. When in dark cast iron it is absolutely essential to get above the water line with a ball guide so your not loosing half your light. Also... some of the darkest parts of the video appear to have junk on the lens of the camera.

Please try the above suggestions and let us know if you get some improvement.

Thanks,

Josh

I have tried both large and small guides but was using the larger ball guide when the video was shot and I'm 100% sure it was 4" cast as it was under a basement floor. The video was from the 3rd time I have used the unit. The other two times (4" cast) were just as bad. The lens was also clear. I was fooling around with the 15 foot run for almost an hour trying to get better results.

ThanX for the help Josh.

Comment

there are times even with the seesnake mini reel that 4'' cast is difficult to id.

dark/ black pipe absorbs the light.

try the same experiment with 4'' pvc pipe and see the difference.

the white reflects light and will be very easy to spot.

also see if you can borrow a plug in monitor or a larger battery pack monitor like the dvdpack.

eventually you will have to move up to a full size camera and monitor. the microexplorer is not a do all monitor/ recorder.

at any given time i carry 6 cameras in the truck along with assorted monitors. each one has it's strong points and weak points.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Don't own a microreel yet but is it possible those complaining about the poor lighting aren't realistic in their expectations? That's why ridgid has the full size and mini seesnake.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I think that my comment that I made in another thread about selecting the right cable and machine has some validity for cameras as well.

If a cable/machine is rated to a certain pipe dimension, it does not mean that you will get optimal performance of the product at the maximum rated pipe size.

My experience with the seensake plus and seesnake mini suggest that the mini is rated up to 6", but in CI and clay lines it is fairly dark and difficult see details, where as the plus is clear as day.

Perhaps CI is just a tougher variable that to deal with given the light absorption that others have mentioned.

A K-50 is rated to 4" with the C-9 cable, but that doesn't mean that you should go and tackle a major root blockage with it.

I understand your frustration AssTyme.

Also, I have to say that the pipe looks like 6" in your video to me as well. I'm assuming that the line is underground. If so, how did you determine that it was 6"? I have a LOT of lines around me that are 4" above ground and 6" below ground (some clay underground, some cast iron depending on age and town). On these lines all I see is 4" CI above ground and a 3 or 3.5" clean out. I'm not trying to second guess you, just tell you my experience. That's just how they used to do it in some places.

I don't think Ridgid is misrepresenting the micro reel. If I had one I would use it for many of the same lines that I use my K-50 for. (The mini would do lines that I use the K-60 for and the full size Plus reel would be for lines that I use my 1500 for, but that's just me. I don't own a camera, I rent Ridgid cameras from a rental house near me).

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                I think that my comment that I made in another thread about selecting the right cable and machine has some validity for cameras as well.

If a cable/machine is rated to a certain pipe dimension, it does not mean that you will get optimal performance of the product at the maximum rated pipe size.

My experience with the seensake plus and seesnake mini suggest that the mini is rated up to 6", but in CI and clay lines it is fairly dark and difficult see details, where as the plus is clear as day.

Perhaps CI is just a tougher variable that to deal with given the light absorption that others have mentioned.

A K-50 is rated to 4" with the C-9 cable, but that doesn't mean that you should go and tackle a major root blockage with it.

Also, I have to say that the pipe looks like 6" in your video to me as well. I'm assuming that the line is underground. If so, how did you determine that it was 6"? I have a LOT of lines around me that are 4" above ground and 6" below ground (some clay underground, some cast iron depending on age and town). On these lines all I see is 4" CI above ground and a 3 or 3.5" clean out. I'm not trying to second guess you, just tell you my experience. That's just how they used to do it in some places.

I don't think Ridgid is misrepresenting the micro reel. If I had one I would use it for many of the same lines that I use my K-50 for. (The mini would do lines that I use the K-60 for and the full size Plus reel would be for lines that I use my 1500 for, but that's just me. I don't own a camera, I rent Ridgid cameras from a rental house near me).

-Chris

The starting point was in a basement soil stack from which I ran the MicroReel 15' under the basement floor to the main cleanout. It was with no doubt a 4" cast pipe.

You guys can second guess me all you want I'm still a shade green

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Don't own a microreel yet but is it possible those complaining about the poor lighting aren't realistic in their expectations? That's why ridgid has the full size and mini seesnake.

Realistic............. ??? Did you watch my video ???

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post

-Chris
                    You can't compare a steel snake with a couple of under powered light bulbs.
                    The unit is rated for 4 inch cast. Lighting is simple my cell phone with two small led bulbs and tiny battery can light up a basement. My cheap sce camera can see 4 in cast iron perfect. And that only cost $800. The micro cost $3,500. It's a great idea for a camera lights need to be beefed up.as far as misrepresenting the micro reel in the thread it has a picture of josh using the micro reel in 4 inch cast iron!
                    Last edited by UnClogNH; 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM.
                    Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

once again. the issue is more with the power supply using the microexplorer than the camera.

the camera lights are adequate for 4'' piping. the push rod will push 4'' and the sonde in the camera head is powerful enough for putting out a signal through cast iron.

the microexplorer is the limiting factor here.

now don't even get me started with south coast equipment. they can't even refund a $120.00 check without it bouncing all the way to the bank. ebay threw them out and i was days away from suing them.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        once again. the issue is more with the power supply using the microexplorer than the camera.

the camera lights are adequate for 4'' piping. the push rod will push 4'' and the sonde in the camera head is powerful enough for putting out a signal through cast iron.

the microexplorer is the limiting factor here.

now don't even get me started with south coast equipment. they can't even refund a $120.00 check without it bouncing all the way to the bank. ebay threw them out and i was days away from suing them.

rick.
                        I can't stand sce either crappy company. I hope they go belly up!
                        Rod

Comment

I guess the big question is when will we see the micro reel with good lighting for 4 inch cast and abs become available or if it's already in the works? Like I said the design is great
                          If a camera can push 100 feet it better be able to see everything.
                          Rod

Comment

I agree with both sides. If the camera is marketed for 4” pipe as well you should be able to see the pipe good with any monitor.
                            But I have used other sewer cameras As well,
                            the main thing the micro reel was made for was smaller pipe. 1-3” at best in my mind 3” would be stretching it.

I have owned 4 different kinds of camera they all are lacking in one size of pipe or another.

I would also like to see if the micro reel would actually push a hole 100’ in a real would use cast. I don’t think it would.

Just my 2 cents.

My RS technical was great in 6” and up. crapy in 4” with any bends.
                            My Spartan I hated it. “ old worn out pos”
                            My won’t name brand “under $1000.00” broke on the first job. POS
                            My current cam intruder elite” all in all OK for what I paid for it.
                            Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                            1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              the issue is more with the power supply using the microexplorer than the camera.

Then the MicroReel shouldn't be packaged with the MicroExplorer.

I'm thinking mine has some issues ??? The other posted videos are dark but at least you can see half of what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                                Then the MicroReel shouldn't be packaged with the MicroExplorer.

I'm thinking mine has some issues ??? The other posted videos are dark but at least you can see half of what's going on.
                                That is the first camera combination I grab anymore but I would probably not use it on 4". Like anything there is not a one size fits all solution. Hopefully, the longer you're in this game the more options you will acquire.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X