X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-8/C-9 Question

Just got my new 5/8" cable (C-8)...man its so small and wispy...no wonder they don't offer a trap leader for it...what is the smallest drain you guys have use this on and what material of piping...?? Wondering if it can go thru 1.25" galvanized steel??? And does anybody use the C-9 cable and whats the difference between it and the C-8??
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: C-8/C-9 Question

i use the c-8 to cable 1.5" - 3" lines. I have cleared through a 1.5" glue trap for a tub with the c-8. Works awesome on kitchen lines! the c-8 is the perfect cable for the k-50 or k-60.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
      Just got my new 5/8" cable (C-8)...man its so small and wispy...no wonder they don't offer a trap leader for it...what is the smallest drain you guys have use this on and what material of piping...?? Wondering if it can go thru 1.25" galvanized steel??? And does anybody use the C-9 cable and whats the difference between it and the C-8??

c-8 is the open wind cable..real flimsy....Right no trap leader needed..I have one length of c-9 real tight wind and heavy..11/4" doubt it but miracles have happened ..Anything smaller than 1 1/2" I generally use the drum adapters..If the trap leader is needed guess what I use
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Maybe I should clarify...what application would you use C-9 over the C-8?

Derek

Comment

Oh...the c9 would be a good first cable for a decently hard stoppage
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Oh...the c9 would be a good first cable for a decently hard stoppage
            So having 90 foot of C-8 cable and 60 foot of C-9 won't be overkill would it?

Derek

Comment

i seldom use more than 60' of 5/8'' on a kitchen line. on a 2'' c/o i can use 7/8'' with the reverse auger

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                Maybe I should clarify...what application would you use C-9 over the C-8?
                When your branch line is backed up and you can't figure out if it's in the 2" or the 4" that it's tied into.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use the C-9 or C-7 as a leader on Kitchen/Laundry lines.

Around here most old houses have the Kitchen and Laundry on 1 stack with an old cast iron "F&W" fitting in the basement (an old school fitting that creates an 1.5" vent stack along side the 2" stack for the kitchen sink. These lines will typically go to a catch basin. On these lines I often have to rod from the 1.5" galvanized arm that takes the laundry tub and go through the F&W which has a baffle in it, into the 2" cast iron for about a foot, then 4" cast iron underground and then 6" clay outside of the footing to the catch basin. For these lines the 7/8 reverse auger is too big for the 1.5". so i use a c-7 or c-9 as a leader so that I have less chance of flipping in the larger pipe. I use all c-8 behind the leader. I've even cut some light roots with the C-7 (once with the c-8 by accident )

I rod 4" floor drains with C-8 cable all the time.

The C-8 is my bread and butter. If you have to do a lot of lateral lines 3-4" soft blockages (NO ROOTS) then the C-9 in K-50 would be a good choice. A K-60 will give you more power. The C-9 will give you the ability to put a cutter on in 2" clean outs if that is all you have.

My rule of thumb is that I use the K-50 for all interior lines up to 4" and the 1500 for all exterior lines. The K-60 bridges the gap for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    I use the C-9 or C-7 as a leader on Kitchen/Laundry lines.

Around here most old houses have the Kitchen and Laundry on 1 stack with an old cast iron "F&W" fitting in the basement (an old school fitting that creates an 1.5" vent stack along side the 2" stack for the kitchen sink. These lines will typically go to a catch basin. On these lines I often have to rod from the 1.5" galvanized arm that takes the laundry tub and go through the F&W which has a baffle in it, into the 2" cast iron for about a foot, then 4" cast iron underground and then 6" clay outside of the footing to the catch basin. For these lines the 7/8 reverse auger is too big for the 1.5". so i use a c-7 or c-9 as a leader so that I have less chance of flipping in the larger pipe. I use all c-8 behind the leader. I've even cut some light roots with the C-7 (once with the c-8 by accident )

I rod 4" floor drains with C-8 cable all the time.

The C-8 is my bread and butter. If you have to do a lot of lateral lines 3-4" soft blockages (NO ROOTS) then the C-9 in K-50 would be a good choice. A K-60 will give you more power. The C-9 will give you the ability to put a cutter on in 2" clean outs if that is all you have.

My rule of thumb is that I use the K-50 for all interior lines up to 4" and the 1500 for all exterior lines. The K-60 bridges the gap for me.
                    Wow, that's great...I have the K-60 and have already ordered the C-9 cable...I just wanted to make sure that I would have a use for it and everything you guys have said helps out....Once again-Thanks!!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                    X