Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing a sewer cable on the truck. NOT!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing a sewer cable on the truck. NOT!

This morning I attempted to repair a broke .66 magnum Spartan cable using my Thermal Arc 161 suitcase welder being powered by the Ames 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter mounted on my truck.

I was attempting to stick weld with a 3/16" SS rod. (The welding shop said this was THE stuff. Would stick to spring steel, and any dissimilar metals. Strength 120,000 psi. Also picked up one of those auto darkening welding masks. Good stuff.

While it would arc just fine the inverter would trip off when the stick stuck. (I'm admittedly very rusty). After a couple of trip offs I ended up just using an outlet from the garage.

In the end it the cable termination wasn't pretty but it held an hour later when I stress tested it.

I wonder if a 2000 watt inverter would have tripped as quickly.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Repairing a sewer cable on the truck. NOT!

Now that's being self sufficient! Nice work!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
      Now that's being self sufficient! Nice work!
      Thanks Trent. I would have been happier if I didn't have to use power from a house instead of the inverter on the truck. I have several more cable ends to fix when I get a bit of time. Maybe I'll have better luck with the inverter when I'm more proficient after some practice. (It's only been 30 years since I stick welded)

Comment

i use to arc them. then i mig'ed them, now tig.

honestly, i've never had one unscrew, even without welding.

the cable digs into the coupling and will not back off even in reverse.

a couple drops of red locktite if it worries you.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

How did you break the cable ? It looks almost new ???

Comment

Rick, I think you're right regarding other manufacturers cable connectors, as other companies have threads that fit the twist of the cables, but not this Spartan connector. This Spartan end does screw into the small inner cable but is not threaded into the outer cable at all. This particular connector absolutely needs to be welded in place.

Asstyme: I've broken two cables in the last few months. Both were the result of believing I was in a lateral sewer but had extended into a much larger sewer main. Both cables were darn near new. One time I was provided with incorrect information, the other I made what seemed to be a quite reasonable assumption which was incorrect.

Comment

That is a good looking repair on the double wound cable there Geno. Yes the weld may not be pretty but you got the winds to stay flush with each other.

Rick as Geno said this cable end needs to be welded. The double wound cables use the inner core cable as part of the torque build up. So the ends screw into the inner core cable and the two outer wound cables which is wound the opposite of the inner core need to be welded. This way when you get into a blockage the inner core is trying to unwind as the outer cables tighten, building up torque 40% faster than standard wound cable.

When the magnum (double wound) cable came out lots of guys where breaking ends off due to over torquing. They feel the rod bind up and where used to spinning the drum 20 full revolutions before pulling back to free the cable, but with the magnum cable the same o amount of torque is achieved in around 8 to 10 full revolutions. Once they learned the difference they love the cable over the standard stuff.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                That is a good looking repair on the double wound cable there Geno. Yes the weld may not be pretty but you got the winds to stay flush with each other.

Rick as Geno said this cable end needs to be welded. The double wound cables use the inner core cable as part of the torque build up. So the ends screw into the inner core cable and the two outer wound cables which is wound the opposite of the inner core need to be welded. This way when you get into a blockage the inner core is trying to unwind as the outer cables tighten, building up torque 40% faster than standard wound cable.

When the magnum (double wound) cable came out lots of guys where breaking ends off due to over torquing. They feel the rod bind up and where used to spinning the drum 20 full revolutions before pulling back to free the cable, but with the magnum cable the same o amount of torque is achieved in around 8 to 10 full revolutions. Once they learned the difference they love the cable over the standard stuff.
                Ron, I don't think I could count revolutions like that. I normally wait for the drum to start bogging down. When it hits a certain speed, or when I hear the motor working hard. (It's hard to describe) at some point I start backing off a bit.

Comment

I'm happy with the double wound cable so far. I try not to over torque the cable any how. I just go at it easy and grind away.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                  X