X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sewer constriction

This morning I cleaned a 70' lateral sewer. Lots of roots. 6" clay sewer passing under a large oak tree. At 41 feet I kept hitting a significant restriction. My small cutter head wouldn't get it, my 4-6" electric eel expanding head wouldn't get it.

I kept going through the restriction though and to the sewer. But when I ran the camera I would see a "pot of stew". Standing water with lots of root balls. My camera wouldn't go through.

Finally after I ran the snake through about 8 times I was able to push through with the head of the camera. After that everything became clear. Why the cable and cutters would go to the sewer but not the root balls.

The original sewer contractor ran 6" clay lateral sewer 41 feet from the house and connected to a 4" cast iron lateral sewer stub in to the property line using a 6x4 clay reducing coupling. I'm just grateful I didn't break something else! No kidding, every sewer I've cleaned lately is an adventure in the odd and unexpected.

This customer could really use a liner in their sewer to eliminate the root problem but that option isn't viable because of the restriction.

I've never seen a restriction like this before. Anyone else? (BTW: The different footage numbers are because I reset the counter to zero at the sewer main to get a backward reading for the homeowner. All these images are of the same spot in the sewer.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: A sewer constriction

That just defies all logic!

You never know what those cowboys would do back in the day. If the sewer crew that installed got there after lunch you were guaranteed to get an crappy job (I've found a few 50+ year old pint bottles in the ditch over the years!)

I had a slightly similar situation last year where a 6" clay sewer seemed to open up to an 8" cast iron line in the parkway between the sidewalk and the for 5' and then go back to 6" clay at the curb. Weird...I'll try to dig the tape out.

Nice pictures Geno, what type of camera are you using?

Comment

this is where a jetter excels. the 4x6 is not a challenge for a jetter as the cutting action is jets of water. cuts and flushes all at the same time and cleans everything and each size it encounters.

tomorrow i have sch. 4 different job sites for my machine. from 3''-6'' storm and sewer lines.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Look at 1m:16sec on our web page link - left video.

http://www.mrdrains.com.au/elephant-pipe-liner

Yes, a jetter would be better Rick! The Root Ranger can slip into a 3" inspection opening and go though to clear a 9" pipe in one go!
        Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Swade, I use a MyTana camera. Color and self leveling. Although the self leveling isn't the best with this head. I think there's something "hincky" with the guts. (Probably all the banging into cement, lead, cast, clay, etc.)

Rick, I was thinking exactly the same thing RE: jetting.

If I did more sewers I would seriously consider getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Swade, I use a MyTana camera. Color and self leveling. Although the self leveling isn't the best with this head. I think there's something "hincky" with the guts. (Probably all the banging into cement, lead, cast, clay, etc.)

Rick, I was thinking exactly the same thing RE: jetting.

If I did more sewers I would seriously consider getting one.
            geno, if you had the jetter, you would be doing more sewers

the jobs i have sch. today, 1 large one is for another plumber, and 1 is a 5 year follow up from another plumber, the other 2 are my repeat customers.

since getting my new jetter, it gets a full days workout every 1 to 2 weeks. i would rather sch. 1 full day than 4 small jobs. i also bid out a 12'' and 8'' storm drain cleaning at a new college complex for the general. they use me to do their dirty work that their subs don't do

jetting is the future of drain cleaning. the city of la public works is almost 100% jetting of their sewer and storm drains. rodding is used for an emergency.

rick,
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              This morning I cleaned a 70' lateral sewer. Lots of roots. 6" clay sewer passing under a large oak tree. At 41 feet I kept hitting a significant restriction. My small cutter head wouldn't get it, my 4-6" electric eel expanding head wouldn't get it.

I kept going through the restriction though and to the sewer. But when I ran the camera I would see a "pot of stew". Standing water with lots of root balls. My camera wouldn't go through.

Finally after I ran the snake through about 8 times I was able to push through with the head of the camera. After that everything became clear. Why the cable and cutters would go to the sewer but not the root balls.

The original sewer contractor ran 6" clay lateral sewer 41 feet from the house and connected to a 4" cast iron lateral sewer stub in to the property line using a 6x4 clay reducing coupling. I'm just grateful I didn't break something else! No kidding, every sewer I've cleaned lately is an adventure in the odd and unexpected.

This customer could really use a liner in their sewer to eliminate the root problem but that option isn't viable because of the restriction.

I've never seen a restriction like this before. Anyone else? (BTW: The different footage numbers are because I reset the counter to zero at the sewer main to get a backward reading for the homeowner. All these images are of the same spot in the sewer.
              I have hit the same thing you have posted on a few sewers Thought I kept hitting a learge root ball. Put on my eel expanders and would go by it back up hit it again Send the camera and seen the same thing. One was a 6 inch clay reduced to 5 inch steel steam pipe Others were reduced to 4 inch cast Iron What were they thinking even found 4 inch cast iron stack line reduced down to 3 inch PVC
              Attached Files
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                I have hit the same thing you have posted on a few sewers Thought I kept hitting a learge root ball. Put on my eel expanders and would go by it back up hit it again Send the camera and seen the same thing. One was a 6 inch clay reduced to 5 inch steel steam pipe Others were reduced to 4 inch cast Iron What were they thinking even found 4 inch cast iron stack line reduced down to 3 inch PVC
                Its common for moron here to do that 4 to 3 crap...I still am amazed every time...
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

jetting is the future of drain cleaning.

rick,

Rick Jetting is the dumbest idea ever. Thats just silly that a stream of water could do anything worth while. I'll just stick to what I know. Future of drain cleaning my a$$

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    Rick Jetting is the dumbest idea ever. Thats just silly that a stream of water could do anything worth while. I'll just stick to what I know. Future of drain cleaning my a$$
                    saysflushable: Speaking of a stream of water.. Yesterday I had Mexican spicy chicken burrito for lunch. The top of my head was itching and sweating it was so hot. Anyway, to combat the extreme heat when it was coming out the backside I used the not heated water on the Coway bidet seat. The water coming out of the tap is about 38 degrees right now. I'll just say my rear end was burning hot and freezing cold all at the same time. Sheesh! Not a pleasant experience! I'm giving up Mexican food.

Comment

I had one the other day 6 inch clay to 4 inch PVC. These cowboys have been good for business. They hit a water main with the sewer opened up. 4 inches of mud in the basement of the closest house. Two years later the city is still finding stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        geno, if you had the jetter, you would be doing more sewers

the jobs i have sch. today, 1 large one is for another plumber, and 1 is a 5 year follow up from another plumber, the other 2 are my repeat customers.

since getting my new jetter, it gets a full days workout every 1 to 2 weeks. i would rather sch. 1 full day than 4 small jobs. i also bid out a 12'' and 8'' storm drain cleaning at a new college complex for the general. they use me to do their dirty work that their subs don't do

jetting is the future of drain cleaning. the city of la public works is almost 100% jetting of their sewer and storm drains. rodding is used for an emergency.

rick,

All good things in time.

Comment

Working...
                        X