X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rick remote for a big us jetter

had a full day of jetting today including a 5 hour project at a big beverly hills spread and 3 other jobs.

my jetter didn't come with a factory wireless or wired remote for control of the 4000psi / 18 gpm flow that it puts out.

so i made one factory wanted over $3500.00 for a unit that is similar to the one i designed and built and that price was less than normal as my jetter was already setup for a remote from the factory.

i have a 4 channel wireless remote control that i use 3 channels for. they open the water full flow, 50/50 bypass flow and no flow, 100% bypass.

along with the wireless remote, i mounted 3 push button switches on the control box i made and a 100' wired foot remote.

so today i was able to give it it's first real job and boy did it work

i might package this to other jetter users under the name of the rick-remote 60

rick.

the grey box with the antenna atop and 3 push buttons control the linear actuator and 3 port high pressure ball valve i installed.

linear actuator and 3 port high pressure ball valve i installed along with the mounts. removing 1 nut allows for full manual operation with no other changes. my setup allows for full 18gpm/ 4000 psi, 50% high pressure and 50% bypass. i can also program it to a different ratio.

'
    wired foot pedal that's on a quick connect jack with 100' of cord.

my 4 channel remote. 3 channels used with 1 channel for future engine shut off.

the key chain remote is clipped to the foot pedal for comparison purposes. it's normally clipped to my belt loop.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-20-2011, 01:55 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: rick remote for a big us jetter

Nice work Rick!
    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

The remote is a must. I like your 50% option. Just be careful not to accidentally turn on the flow!

What did it cost you in the end?

Still using the Medical Alert key ring I see, that must be the only one in the US!
      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

How long did it take you to come up with the idea?

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
          The remote is a must. I like your 50% option. Just be careful not to accidentally turn on the flow!

What did it cost you in the end?

Still using the Medical Alert key ring I see, that must be the only one in the US!
          thank's bill.

i figured the 50% flow/ bypass would allow me to pull back the hose while still flushing the line i think big ben would have liked this option last wee when he came out to watch, learn and help he struggled with the pull back at full flow

not only do i use the medical alert key ring which is very cool, i also wear a medical alert usb bracelet that contains medical info , contact info and insurance info. all you do is plug it into a computer and it opens up all the files in a read only mode. my brother in law who's a director of an er. thought that was a very cool idea. it allows the medical people to know everything about you, even if you're not responding

my cost for the components, including the linear actuator, actuator controller, wireless 3 channel remote, 3 port high pressure ball valve, 3 water proof foot switches, 3 push buttons, 100' of 14-4 cord, jack, enclosures, antenna, asst wiring and connectors. was approx. $400.00

now if you need to duplicate the unit, i can take it on the road
          and remember the rick remote-60 is already taken

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

wow I just paid $200 for a new 3 way control valve alone. Will have to call and get some ordering info. Thanks Rick for posting this, it's what the forum is about!
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
              How long did it take you to come up with the idea?
              it didn't take long once i found out they wanted $3500

but i tinkered with it on and off for months.

the factory on/ off valve is not designed to be opened and closed under full pressure. they use a custom made valve with plastic seats.

most of the time and tinkering went into the valve and actuator working together and coming up with a mount that works.

the electronics was pretty simple as i made one for my old trailer jetter that actuated a high pressure solenoid. it worked good and was a simple design. but that was only 11gpm at 2500#

the us jetter doesn't use an unloader so a solenoid was not an option.

although i did install an unloader as it's a cheap way to allow for a foot valve on smaller hoses.

the us jetter is a beast of a unit and built heavy duty. but it's not user friendly and i feel it needs a little tweaking in the field.

the unloader is a no brainer and off the shelf parts beat factory exclusive parts. $3500. for a remote is very pricey and that's with the unit already coming pre wired and installed during the original build.

without an unloader, you can't use a standard wash down gun or shut off valve. they use a 1 time burst disk that burst even when you don't overload the pump. adding a relief valve and or unloader will solve that very simple.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I got to say I am impressed nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  you do realize dan, it's all your fault

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    you do realize dan, it's all your fault

rick.
                    Speaking of Dan, Rick have you worked out the the root-x injection system for the jetter yet?

Comment

yes and no. in my head yes on paper and installed no

i'm leaning towards a low pressure pump. jet the line with the high pressure plunger pump, then use a 3 port high pressure valve to pump in the root-x juice on the pull back. the jetter hose and nozzle will still allow enough coverage to disperse the chemicals and apply it to the walls of the pipe. i could even piggy back a second 3/8'' hose and nozzle on the primary 1/2'' jetting hose.

so the answer is yes and no

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                        Yeah, Uncle Dan this is ALL your fault! Mommy isn't as dumb as everyone wants her to be! She will properly thank you one day for this!
                        Born Free - Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          yes and no. in my head yes on paper and installed no

i'm leaning towards a low pressure pump. jet the line with the high pressure plunger pump, then use a 3 port high pressure valve to pump in the root-x juice on the pull back. the jetter hose and nozzle will still allow enough coverage to disperse the chemicals and apply it to the walls of the pipe. i could even piggy back a second 3/8'' hose and nozzle on the primary 1/2'' jetting hose.

so the answer is yes and no

rick.
                          If ya get bored take a look at a "hi-lo chemical injector" I found one relatively quickly that was capable of running 4000 psi @ 8 GPM with adjustable orificia which would allow you to further regulate the chemical feed.

Comment

those specs would require a good 27hp engine. don't really need the pressure as i'm not jetting with it.

i think just enough flow to squirt out the orifice jets. i'm thinking either 5.5 hp gas or 2hp electric.

the whole purpose of a foaming product is to get the chemical to the top of the pipe. but with a pump spraying the chemical directly in all directions, you don't really need a foam to get it to the top. although the foam would help it cling and stay at the top.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

VERY cool!!

Why don't you call it the Rick Remote 100 since you have it on a 100' cord?

What about the Turbo Rick Remote?
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X