X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange drain clog

This one had me stumped. Single level house. 4" CO at front of house. Bathroom with the worst problem is maybe 15-20ft from the 4" CO.

So, here's what happened. Toilet and shower are both clogged in the one bathroom, 4" CO shows no standing water (there are roots in this line but it still flows....kinda...). Decided to pull the toilet and go in from there. I got in maybe 3' and I couldn't push anymore...it sounded like I was scraping against the pipe (possibly a backward fitting in my opinion). Going in from the shower was no better.

So after I figured out that I wasn't getting in from there, I went up to roof and in through the vent. Cable got all the way to (and past) the 4" CO out front, but toilet and shower refuse to drain.

I'm just having a hard time visualizing what kind of plumbing would allow my cable to get from vent to main sewer while completely bypassing the clog that had the bathroom backed up.

Any input? Ideas?

OH, and no camera right now, camera head leaked and then I really messed things up when I tried taking it apart. So, as a side note, anyone with a spare mini head for a Gatorcam2, let me know if you want to sell.
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Strange drain clog

Cable went right though the sludge ???

Did you try reverse and different cutters when rodding from inside ?
    Last edited by AssTyme; 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

What makes you think it's not stopped between the basement toilet and CO?

Even a backward fitting shouldn't stop your cable from going somewhere. 3 feet isn't very far.

Sucks not to have a working camera when this happens

Comment

Is there a Cottage Tee that picks up the shower perhaps?
        Does the lav back up into the shower?
        I had something vaguely similar the other day: 2nd floor bathrooms back to back. Both toilets backing up, no other fixtures backing up. Tried to rod from both closet openings but cable either went across (I think it is a Cross on its side) or back up stream and into the 2" for the shower in one of the bathrooms. I ended up clearing the blockage from the Shower drain that I kept going up using the 5/8" reverse auger. Cleared a massive clump of dental floss that had dammed up at the outlet of the cross. I could see the blockage from either closet opening with the mini cam but could not get the cable to make the turn.

Maybe try the shower drain just to see if you can punch it open?

Is this bathroom in a basement or on slab or is there open space below it? Would the shower be 2" or 4" underground?

Cast Iron or PVC?

The reason I asked about the cottage tee was that if there is one, I could see how rodding from the vent stack would miss the blockage
        Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 04-21-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          Is there a Cottage Tee that picks up the shower perhaps?
          Does the lav back up into the shower?
          I had something vaguely similar the other day: 2nd floor bathrooms back to back. Both toilets backing up, no other fixtures backing up. Tried to rod from both closet openings but cable either went across (I think it is a Cross on its side) or back up stream and into the 2" for the shower in one of the bathrooms. I ended up clearing the blockage from the Shower drain that I kept going up using the 5/8" reverse auger. Cleared a massive clump of dental floss that had dammed up at the outlet of the cross. I could see the blockage with the mini cam but could not get the cable to make the turn.

Maybe try the shower drain just to see if you can punch it open?

Is this bathroom in a basement or on slab or is there open space below it? Would the shower be 2" or 4" underground?

Cast Iron or PVC?

The reason I asked about the cottage tee was that if there is one, I could see how rodding from the vent stack would miss the blockage
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            With the K-50 I might add God how I love that machine

Comment

The most frustrating part of all this is that this is a single story on a slab. No crawlspace to see what's happening with the piping under there but I was told the house was flipped prior to the HO purchasing so I'm guessing they probably used a handy hack that made a mess of everything.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

aram, 2 things.

#1 don't forget about dinner this saturday at cheese cake 4 pm sherman oaks

#2 remember you wanted to ride shotgun on a jetter job you've got sludge and roots with an unoccupied house

line it up and we'll jet it clean. don't worry, you don't need to stand at the machine to control it, i've got the rick remote 60 now

call me

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  aram, 2 things.

#1 don't forget about dinner this saturday at cheese cake 4 pm sherman oaks

#2 remember you wanted to ride shotgun on a jetter job you've got sludge and roots with an unoccupied house

line it up and we'll jet it clean. don't worry, you don't need to stand at the machine to control it, i've got the rick remote 60 now

call me

rick.
                  well now theres your answer JCK (just call rick)
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                    This one had me stumped. Single level house. 4" CO at front of house. Bathroom with the worst problem is maybe 15-20ft from the 4" CO.

So, here's what happened. Toilet and shower are both clogged in the one bathroom, 4" CO shows no standing water (there are roots in this line but it still flows....kinda...). Decided to pull the toilet and go in from there. I got in maybe 3' and I couldn't push anymore...it sounded like I was scraping against the pipe (possibly a backward fitting in my opinion). Going in from the shower was no better.

So after I figured out that I wasn't getting in from there, I went up to roof and in through the vent. Cable got all the way to (and past) the 4" CO out front, but toilet and shower refuse to drain.

I'm just having a hard time visualizing what kind of plumbing would allow my cable to get from vent to main sewer while completely bypassing the clog that had the bathroom backed up.

Any input? Ideas?

OH, and no camera right now, camera head leaked and then I really messed things up when I tried taking it apart. So, as a side note, anyone with a spare mini head for a Gatorcam2, let me know if you want to sell.
                    my first question is what size machine are you using 3/4" cable or what k-50 with 5/8" did U try going in revers which blades
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                    X