What The............???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The............???

Just pulled a toilet to rod an overhead soil line and as soon as the cutter touched the cast iron there were sparks and the breaker tripped

Grounding issues....???

Good thing I had my gloves on

Re: What The............???

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    Just pulled a toilet to rod an overhead soil line and as soon as the cutter touched the cast iron there were sparks and the breaker tripped

Grounding issues....???

Good thing I had my gloves on
    I've knelt before and touched a supply stop to repair a toilet and got a small shock...put my meter and there was 5 volts on the plumbing...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

That will wake you up quick

This message is brought to you by "Still wana do drains for $50.00?"
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Ground issue,

does your spartan have a gfci?

its happen to me before, its kinda scary!

If im in a old house i use one of those electrical tester to make sure there is a proper ground to the outlet, if i cant find one i will pull a cord from the generator on the van into the house.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
          Ground issue,

If im in a old house i use one of those electrical tester to make sure there is a proper ground to the outlet, if i cant find one i will pull a cord from the generator on the van into the house.

Yes it does have a GFI but it didn't trip, the breaker for the bathroom did. I then plugged it into the living room outlet and all was good.

Yeah, it scared the chit outta me

Comment

Had sparks fly outta a cast iron floor drain ..The cord on the k50 had a short in it Didn't know what the hell was going on ..I thought there was an electric line buried under the slab that was exposed contacting the cast iron...
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
              Ground issue,

Great idea ..I need to keep one in my cutter box..It just plugs into the outlet and tells you whats up..Running your equipment on a faulty circuit can mess your equipment up also

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                Yes it does have a GFI but it didn't trip, the breaker for the bathroom did. I then plugged it into the living room outlet and all was good.

Yeah, it scared the chit outta me
                You need to check to see why the bathroom breaker tripped and not your GFI.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Circuit was probably overloaded...Wrong size breaker..wrong size wiring ..

Comment

Sounds like your plug was not grounded and the neutral is not very good and it used the machine for a ground. I'm just guessing......its scary crap.....when I cut copper now I use jumper cables as a bonding wire. I got the pizz popped outta me a few times by cutting water mains in the yard. The house had lost its ground at the power box and was using the secondary ground through the copper cold water system until I cut it and became part of the circuit. Sholders hurt for a week.

When your cutters finsih the cut you get the blue arc and a shot of juice and it can kill you..... I hate that crap.
                    Last edited by TheMaster; 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      Sounds like your plug was not grounded and the neutral is not very good and it used the machine for a ground. I'm just guessing......its scary crap.....when I cut copper now I use jumper cables as a bonding wire. I got the pizz popped outta me a few times by cutting water mains in the yard. The house had lost its ground at the power box and was using the secondary ground through the copper cold water system until I cut it and became part of the circuit. Sholders hurt for a week.

When your cutters finsih the cut you get the blue arc and a shot of juice and it can kill you..... I hate that crap.

So you clamp on both sides of the cut...Until you're done ..Thats a good idea..Probably wont bother till I get popped a good one myself

Comment

Working...
                      X