X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moto Scooter strikes again!

I just got a Saturday Emergency call (oh well there goes my 1 day off) Lady needs a bid to repair or replace the sewer and it is broken under the driveway, sounds like a good pipe burst job so I role out to give a bid. Get there they point to the driveway say the moto scooter camera guy had left and had verified what their snake guy had said "major pipe break under the cement driveway 8 feet down" And they could start right away for 15k. It is a rental owner is going out of the country tomorrow just wanted a couple bids. I say I need to camera the line since no video was made or left. I say it's free I need to know depths and locations to give a proper bid. ( I love my seesnakes!) Anyway long story short I find a few small offsets none under the driveway that section was fine. No roots at all, no bellies, no build up of debris. They watched me camera it and asked questions while I did it. No emergency work was needed, they should budget for a future repair. They asked what my charge was since they just spent $800 on snaking and camera work, "I said nothing, call when you need me" She shoved $20 in my pocket for gas and said "Thanks! In the future I will just call you"
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Moto Scooter strikes again!

We had the same situation last week except the homeowner did not want us to re-camra it. We told him it would be free and he said sternly, "I know its bad just give me a price." Told $1,000, he jumped at it, they told him $5,000. Replace the line but did not see any problems with it. Some companies are not anywhere close to honest.

Comment

Cuda, You were blessed with wonderful parents . Well done!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
        I just got a Saturday Emergency call (oh well there goes my 1 day off) Lady needs a bid to repair or replace the sewer and it is broken under the driveway, sounds like a good pipe burst job so I role out to give a bid. Get there they point to the driveway say the moto scooter camera guy had left and had verified what their snake guy had said "major pipe break under the cement driveway 8 feet down" And they could start right away for 15k. It is a rental owner is going out of the country tomorrow just wanted a couple bids. I say I need to camera the line since no video was made or left. I say it's free I need to know depths and locations to give a proper bid. ( I love my seesnakes!) Anyway long story short I find a few small offsets none under the driveway that section was fine. No roots at all, no bellies, no build up of debris. They watched me camera it and asked questions while I did it. No emergency work was needed, they should budget for a future repair. They asked what my charge was since they just spent $800 on snaking and camera work, "I said nothing, call when you need me" She shoved $20 in my pocket for gas and said "Thanks! In the future I will just call you"
        How much does a camera job cost? You realize in reality you did a camera inspection for 20.00. If you normally charge 250.00 then you just paid $230.00 for that customer. Hopefully it will pay off. You really cant do that everyday tho just for e=anyone who calls. I guess you saw the potential of future work based off the conversation with the owner. I've had mixed results with doing things in good faith.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          How much does a camera job cost? You realize in reality you did a camera inspection for 20.00. If you normally charge 250.00 then you just paid $230.00 for that customer. Hopefully it will pay off. You really cant do that everyday tho just for e=anyone who calls. I guess you saw the potential of future work based off the conversation with the owner. I've had mixed results with doing things in good faith.
          I get $299 for the same job but I feel pretty good about leaving and not charging, besides she took a card and I would be willing to bet I get a lot of work out of it from word of mouth. I am not rich but I do OK doing business as I do, people actually like my company and I charge enough to pay overhead plus some profit and keep 3 guys fulltime plus 2 part time. And I have a real good sense of people a gut feeling if you will I know when to charge and when not to. I actually don't charge someone about once a month. It has hurt me a couple times when people wrote that on a few reviews about us then I got a rash of people looking for free work but that only lasted a couple weeks lol.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

cuda, i see that all the time. the first tip off is the company's m.o. the second is the lack of a video and the third is the high estimate and ability to start right away.

difference is i do charge for the sewer inspection and video. although you got a future customer, so do i and the 299. to boot

honesty is what they want, charity is reserved for certain customers.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have had many calls where I did something like a quick verify of the line, relight a water heater, clean an aerator, and much more, and never gave an invoice. Just gave them my card, and told them have a good day and keep me in mind for future more serious work.

I say 99% of the time they do call back and set up an appointment for me to do other work for them. My father yells at me for it but then praises me when we get a good long term customer out of it.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

If I ever do a 'love job' I always end it with a statement that sets up their subconscious.

"If you were happy with my service today would you mind telling your friends and family?"

In fact you can say this after every job and it works a treat!
                Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
                  If I ever do a 'love job' I always end it with a statement that sets up their subconscious.

"If you were happy with my service today would you mind telling your friends and family?"

In fact you can say this after every job and it works a treat!
                  Agreed. Always let them know how much money you just gave them by leaving an invoice that shows the amount, then at the bottom says N/C.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
                    if i ever do a 'love job' i always end it with a statement that sets up their subconscious.

"if you were happy with my service today would you mind telling your friends and family?"

in fact you can say this after every job and it works a treat!
                    great idea, never too old 2 learn ! Tanks tool
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

MOTO SCOOTER ??? Please, for those of Us out of Towners , what is a moto scooter Is This slang or a Co, Name ?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        MOTO SCOOTER ??? Please, for those of Us out of Towners , what is a moto scooter Is This slang or a Co, Name ?
                        I assume they are talking about roto cooter

Comment

How about:

cooter rooter

hooter tooter

robo booter

Comment

Cuda, glad to know that there is still a few of us out here that don't feel they have to charge for every thing we do. And that integrity is more important than lining our own pockets.

Here is a question I love to ask people who own their own business, "do you do what you do to make money, or do you do what like to do, and get paid to do it?" The answer to this question tells a lot about ones self and their work ethic. I really like what I do, and as a bonus, I get paid. Personally I think that to many people work to just make the almighty dollar and forget that our work is a reflection of ourselves. When I see shotty work, I don't see a half *** product, I see a lazy *** who cuts corners and only does what gets by to get money. someone who delivers a quality end product, and puts pride into what they do usually does it for the satisfaction of their customers and not just to make money.

I may not be rich, I don't charge nearly enough some times, but in the end I have happy customers. could I charge a customer for driving out to their house to "fix" a light fixture that was put in during a remodel I ran, yeah, but I couldnt charge the lady for coming out to swap out a burnt out bulb. she was embarrassed that it was a burnt out bulb. but, to this day, she calls me for everything, from a 60k entryway remodel to putting together a set of patio furniture.

integrity will win out in the end everytime Cuda! Congrats on probably cementing a customer for life!

God bless, and happy Easter.
                            Last edited by Alphacowboy; 04-24-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X