help me pick a jetter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help me pick a jetter

Bill, what does "hiring equipment" mean?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Bill, what does "hiring equipment" mean?

Thanks.

J.C.
      renting equipment

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        renting equipment

Mark
        Thanks. If I understand correctly though, his comparison business will not work here as there is no hiring/renting company here that will offer a jetter, camera, locator, or press tool. Maybe I should open one! Other things listed are rentable here. But again, we are talking about jetters.

So the rate cannot be applied at all to match or undercut the rental companies to get this equipment moving like Bill is able to do.

Like I say, different things work differently in different places.

J.C.

Comment

That's it, I coming over to help start JC's Hire & Plumbing Co!

My wife said no.

Do you guys use Service Roundtable? The plumbers in Sydney who do are always ahead of the rest. We started using it this year and have picked up some good information.

http://www.serviceroundtable.com/
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Boone Plumbing View Post
            Thanks Bill, you are a true entrepreneur. I am confident I will use it, I had a smaller gas pressure washer conversion before, and I used it for small restaurant lines. The bigger jetter will do a great job on roots, grease and do it quicker and look professional.
            "Look more professional" That's a big plus. When I take one of our trailer jetters to a job the client feels more confident before I even start the job. I also say "If this jetter won't clear you blockage Mrs Jones, nothing will!"
            Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
              That's it, I coming over to help start JC's Hire & Plumbing Co!

My wife said no.

Do you guys use Service Roundtable? The plumbers in Sydney who do are always ahead of the rest. We started using it this year and have picked up some good information.

http://www.serviceroundtable.com/
              I have not & had not heard about it until now. I'll look at it. Thanks for the link and information.

P.S. I really hate being the negative person in this discussion. Hope everyone gets their jetter on and $$$ in pocket.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Does an 7gpm jetter do that much more then a 5.5gpm. Can it compete with a 12 gpm jetter?

Comment

Originally posted by Knight1 View Post
                  Does an 7gpm jetter do that much more then a 5.5gpm. Can it compete with a 12 gpm jetter?
                  slightly more. the more flow, the faster the cleaning.

of course the 12 gpm is in a different class of jetters than a 5.5 gpm.

5.5 can clean a 6'' line slowly, but not flush very good, unless you're going upstream. just not enough water to help wash out the line. the trick is to liquefy the stoppage and rinse it out. the time it gets difficult is on storm drains with dirt and gravel. that's when flow and going upstream works to your advantage.

the jump from 5.5 to 7 gpm is not much difference in water flow, but a lot of difference in equipment needed. the water supply will need a holding or surge tank, the engine will need to be upgraded and the pump gets much more expensive for the 1.5 gpm additional flow.

5.5. at 3500# i do with my 18hp. gear driven pump. it's been my big portable jetter for well over 10 years. beyond that i jump into a big, heavy, expensive us trailer jetter at 18gpm, 4000#.

of course i can turn it down to run lower flows, and only do that when i'm there doing larger lines. otherwise if it's all lower flow, i load the cart jetter into the van.

i seriously would think twice about the 7 gpm and stick with a more portable machine. then when you get into the larger commercial stuff, a trailer would be your next step.

unless all you do is drain cleaning. i doubt you want a gas operated machine running in your truck instead of outside your truck. 30 gallons is a surge tank, not a jetting tank.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I have used my jetter 4 times already in the past month.

I have come across drains were cement/grout is in the drain from construction workers during the remodeling or new construction process.

Comment

Thanks Rick, I think I might have been excpecting to much out of the 7-8 gpm cart jetter. Your post helped out alot.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise, I will stick to the portable jetter to stay on the truck and if I need more power I will get a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight1 View Post
                          Thanks Rick, I think I might have been excpecting to much out of the 7-8 gpm cart jetter. Your post helped out alot.

Dont sell 8 gpm short. Its the best bang for the buck. Get the right noozles on that unit and it will do wonders. I had a Harben unit with twice the flow. There time I wish I had the flow but if your not cleaning much pipe bigger than six inch and you dont need to pull a ton of sand rock out of a pipe it will be fine. Get a Root Ranger or Warthog and go to town.

Comment

I would think there would be a bit of difference between a 5.5gpm and 7-8gpm jetter, I know the pumps are different and more money. Going from 3.5 gpm to 5.5 gpm is a big difference. I still have not dropped the hammer, still researching.

Comment

8 gpm is a good flow. problem is supplying enough water to keep it happy is not so easy from most hose bibbs.

a surge tank is fine if you can keep it full.

the rootranger is very happy at 5.5 gpm. i have that nozzle and that setup too.

the warthog is a very expensive nozzle and i own 5 of them. but honestly when i want to cut the big and nasty, nothing compares to a root ranger.

the 5.5 is still a very portable unit. much more and it's not near as portable or affordable.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X