X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeter gets it's butt kicked, cable saves the day

I jet everything, but the jetter failed me on this one...

4" service, cast iron underslab, goes to pvc at the footer, then to clay just before the main, though all I knew was the iron at first.

Access via interior c/o and/or pulled toilet. Tried jetting, got nowhere and was starting to flood, tried the 100' 1/2" cable I carry, shoved it all the way in and got nothing. Went back to the jetter as 100' is all the cable I carry unless I'm doing something specific. Hauled wet vacs for an hour, dead in the pipe making no progress at 125' with any nozzle.

Gave up, went home, returned the next day with the 3/4" machine and a helper. That thing has bit me before and I won't run it alone anymore, especially as I had to have it 6' back from the hole and run the cable through a piece of pipe as the doors were too narrow to get it any closer at either access.

Shoved the camera down as it had drained down overnight just to see if I could see what I was fighting. Black puddle ~ 5' before problem. push up too it and locate just to see. it's right near a manhole, which I pop and it's the top of the main (end of a cul-de-sac). No access there.

Run the 3/4" in, hit the problem and grind on it for a long time, binding the snake up til it almost springs in the drum, backing out, trying again. Finally get a bit through it, and fight on for another 10' or so. Pull back and there's a few roots on it, nothing special. hmm... just roots? fighting this hard?

camera in to see, and yep, big wad o roots. It's draining now so I can see I'm in pvc, and cant push cam through the roots, but I've put a 2" dia blade through it, so I figure I'll root ranger it and that'll be it.

no go. can't get into it with any nozzle. step up to a 2 1/2" blade and same battle, get through finally, pull back a few more little roots, repeat jetting failure, with extra added fun as the rr hooks in a bend and I have a scary 1/2 hr trying to get it back.

go up to a 3" bit, same huge fight, get through it, and cam in to see what the heck is going on. Still a huge root ball at same spot, but now I can cam through it and think I see the main mayebe 10' down. Crawl in the manhole and look down the pipe and, sure enough, there is my camera peeking through a big pipe-shaped wad of roots extending from the service across the 8" and wedged against the far side. Go jet again, this time the warthog as I'm now afraid of the rr in this line. Finally cut all the roots out after multiple passes and checks with camera.

The whole time there has been this rubber doughnut gasket rolling around in there I've been seeing and ignoring as I figure I'll deal with that later after an initial abortive attempt to hook it out. Looked like maybe a tank to bowl gasket, or maybe a doughnut from a waxless toilet seal. Last run with the jetter dissappeared that too.

2 hrs first eve, 6 1/2 x two men the second day, all just for a 10' wad of roots. Never had my but kicked this bad before. Thought for sure I'd find something broken. Nope. Just roots.

Line had huge falll in it. House on a pretty good slope, probably 20' of fall in the ~135' service. Figure they'd been in there for a while getting happier and happier and more dug in and weren't noticed as it would strain down through them with all the head on it. Grew in at the pvc/clay interface ~ 10' up from the main and packed that 10'.
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 04-26-2011, 04:26 AM.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: jeter gets it's butt kicked, cable saves the day

People have a bad habit here of knowing theres a problem but putting off calling me to correct it. They have clay sewers with bad joints. when the pipe cloggs up the water leaks through the joints and leaves sludge. They will continue to use the sewer by not washing clothes or using alot of water for a few days.....it drains down through the joints and it works again. This is repeated until it will not drain down anymore and its packed with sludge.

I've dug the lines up and its packed solid. Under the joints and around the general area the ground has a bio-mat and is sealed like a pond bottom. Grey/black color soil and slime. In these same sewers(clay) I have broke sections and found them packed solid with white grease so hard a hammer would not break the grease. When the pipe breaks from around it you have a solid chunck of grease.

Back in the winter I posted pics of a city ramjet truck that cant even power through the grease without blowing the pipe up. Now they charge you for any lateral clogged with grease....dont pay it and they will remove your water meter.

I enjoyed reading your post ACE..thanks for the post.

Comment

alex, was the line a 6'' or 8'' lateral in the street?

do you think if you had an exterior c/o you would have continued jetting knowing the run off is outside the house?

had one last week, that was surfacing from the sidewalk as the head pressure was a good 90 steps up the hillside to the house.

last time i was there was 5 years ago.

fired up the jetter and fought it at 84' for a few minutes and it cleared.

are outside c/o rare in snow country

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

WOW what a read ! Please Re Title
        "Rocky Balboa Vs the Russian in the Underground"
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

As a matter of interest, what are your jetter specs and hose size?

Pressure:
          Flow
          Hose:
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

here the laterls are typically same size all the way to the main; was an 8" main (maybe a 10"; my eyes aren't calibrated for bigger pipe) and 4" lateral.

exterior cleanouts exist here, and are required on new construction. If you have one to use or not depends on when it was built and if you can find it under the snow. This house was actually two buildings, a main house even further up the hill and a garage with upstairs apt and downstairs powder room. service ran down from the house and poked through the uphill concrete wall of the garage/apt, then dropped underslab and ran out down drive. there was an ext c/o between the buildings, which I found and opened to verify I hadn't headed up to the house. unuseable for my puposes as it would have just flooded the powder room in the garage/apt.

jetter is ~5.5 gpm, 4kpsi. 1/4" hose.

the line ran down the drive to one side of the main exiting the mh, then somehow crossed over top of it and hooked in from the other side. The rr was getting hooked in the curly thing the line did to bend down and around and hook in from the far side.

Because the line was pvc til the 10' of clay before the main, and the era of the house (80's) and of the development (earlier), I think the service was stubbed in by the developer, then sat for a while, then tied onto when the house got built.

I was pretty embarrassed that it took so much time to do this; I mean, in the end it's just 10' of roots in 4", right? It was a tragi-comedy of things breaking and second guessing and shoving things in 125' and pulling them back out. I blew one jetter hose, broke the drive belt on another, switched good hose to the live jetter and blew up the inlet side of that, put that back together, etc. This was all on sat night and easter sun.

I wrote the guy a full fare bill and told him not to pay it unless his ins was going to step up, and call me if they won't. They won't. I cut 30% off it for him since he's got to eat it and since I spun my wheels as much as I did. He was a great guy to work for; pipefitter believe it or not, was right in there helping haul wet vacs, etc. Still think it was too much $ for 10' of roots, but I had 15 hrs in between me and Noah on a holiday weekend, and I've learned that if I fight one that hard, someone else was going to charge more and probably fail.
            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              here the laterls are typically same size all the way to the main; was an 8" main (maybe a 10"; my eyes aren't calibrated for bigger pipe) and 4" lateral.

exterior cleanouts exist here, and are required on new construction. If you have one to use or not depends on when it was built and if you can find it under the snow. This house was actually two buildings, a main house even further up the hill and a garage with upstairs apt and downstairs powder room. service ran down from the house and poked through the uphill concrete wall of the garage/apt, then dropped underslab and ran out down drive. there was an ext c/o between the buildings, which I found and opened to verify I hadn't headed up to the house. unuseable for my puposes as it would have just flooded the powder room in the garage/apt.

jetter is ~5.5 gpm, 4kpsi. 1/4" hose.

the line ran down the drive to one side of the main exiting the mh, then somehow crossed over top of it and hooked in from the other side. The rr was getting hooked in the curly thing the line did to bend down and around and hook in from the far side.

Because the line was pvc til the 10' of clay before the main, and the era of the house (80's) and of the development (earlier), I think the service was stubbed in by the developer, then sat for a while, then tied onto when the house got built.

I was pretty embarrassed that it took so much time to do this; I mean, in the end it's just 10' of roots in 4", right? It was a tragi-comedy of things breaking and second guessing and shoving things in 125' and pulling them back out. I blew one jetter hose, broke the drive belt on another, switched good hose to the live jetter and blew up the inlet side of that, put that back together, etc. This was all on sat night and easter sun.

I wrote the guy a full fare bill and told him not to pay it unless his ins was going to step up, and call me if they won't. They won't. I cut 30% off it for him since he's got to eat it and since I spun my wheels as much as I did. He was a great guy to work for; pipefitter believe it or not, was right in there helping haul wet vacs, etc. Still think it was too much $ for 10' of roots, but I had 15 hrs in between me and Noah on a holiday weekend, and I've learned that if I fight one that hard, someone else was going to charge more and probably fail.

Damn , thats very generous ..30% off your bill..After you told him that he probably didn't even call his insurance co..

Well sounds like you earned your money on that one or not ..Don't own a jetter but have been told they are more of a finishing tool..Again that's just what I have been told
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Somebody beat up Derek Jeter with a cable?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  Yes ROCKY
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                    No no no, Derek Jeter was getting his butt kicked but somehow a cable stopped the butt kicking. Maybe the butt-kicker tripped over a cable, or a cable snapped and sliced him in half - either way a cable saved the day.
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

All I know is 10' of roots tore a hole in two days for me, and I'm still not sure if I helped a guy out or beat him up. I sure know I'm black and blue.

Comment

alex, 10' of roots is no simple job. don't care what machine you have or use. that stoppage started before you were even in business.

now that you got it all figured out, i guarantee you the owner will be maintaining it on a regular basis now.

you stuck with it and the owner is aware of that. they know the other alternative would have been an expensive dig and replace.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Ace, you just described the last 7 hours of my day. (just got home at 9 pm). Except I had my MyTana head reverse itself in a 4" CI line with a 3" snowball on the head!!! (two gallons of dish soap and banging on the camera head with a large retrieval auger to loosen and lube it, solve that)

I finally got the line open but it's nowhere near clear. I pulled out enough roots to fill a five gallon bucket from one joint all by itself. The camera shows the last 5 feet are solid roots. Silver Maple. Ugh! I have a main sewer jetter coming in the AM to get the last five feet.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                          X