X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why A Rear Guide Hose Save Your Machine

I was working on a K-1500 the other day that needed the main shaft and pulley assembly replaced. While taking it apart, I noticed the big nut that holds the shaft in place was severely worn. Picture (1) shows machine as it was.
    The operator was using it without a rear guide hose, and instead of the cable being supported by the hose, it just hung out and rubbed against the back of the shaft. This wore the shaft down, and also the nut that holds it in place.
    There were only a few threads left on the shaft!
    When I replaced the shaft, the original nut was so worn that it looked goofy (picture 2).
    Picture (3) shows what it is supposed to look like. If it wore down the machine this much, think of how much unnecessary wear he was putting on his cables, too!
    Attached Files

Re: Why A Rear Guide Hose Save Your Machine

I was careful not to show pictures of my fingers this time because Rick made fun of how clean they are last time.

Comment

brian, thanks for the preventative tips.

did you get licensing permission from the owner of your avatar to use that image

don't want to get into a legal battle with the owner

just in case you missed it

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37387

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by bmitch00 View Post
        I was careful not to show pictures of my fingers this time because Rick made fun of how clean they are last time.

someone in your position has people. maybe even a hand double.

ridgid can't afford to have you get injured

where's the gloves

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I recommend if not using a guide hose to use the a34a bracket with a peice of hose to prevent the bracket from wear. They can drill a hole in the pin and put a cotter pin in so it does not falloff if they sometimes use a hose use a key instead of a pin. When replacing a pulley and shaft a new lock and adjusting nut should be used if there is any wear at all as the shaft will flair to match it and it will not come off marvin

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
            I recommend if not using a guide hose to use the a34a bracket with a peice of hose to prevent the bracket from wear. They can drill a hole in the pin and put a cotter pin in so it does not falloff if they sometimes use a hose use a key instead of a pin. When replacing a pulley and shaft a new lock and adjusting nut should be used if there is any wear at all as the shaft will flair to match it and it will not come off marvin
            I didn't even think about the shaft flairing out. That makes sense, though. I was only concerned about the sharp burrs left on the edge of the nut.

Comment

On the k-60 my wear is not the rear of the machine but the front of the machine, I have worn the front steel out to looking oval. But my concern was clearing the drain not saving the machine.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

the k-60 front guide is replaceable when needed.

the rear guide/ adjusting ring is a simple fix to prevent wear.

take a 1.5'' abs or pvc tailpiece and cut it approx 2'' long. hammer it in and this will act as a plastic guide bushing eliminating the wear from metal to metal.

now if you really want to beef it up. slide a short section of yellow poly gas/ hdpe, pipe into the rear 1.5'' bushing you just made and the poly will cause the cable never to wear from rubbing the rear adjusting ring.

also a 14' section of 1'' poly is a great rear guide hose that is cheap and never rust out. if you allow it to sit in the hot sun, you can get it to lay straight. or take a heat gun to it.

plenty of k-60 tips and tricks to make it the best all around machine out there

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X