Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K 50

Not scared to ask a a stupid question-
    I just bought a used k 50 (because I read too many of ricks posts) and spun it up. The cable did not seem to be spinning as fast as I expected it to and it seemed a little noisy with just the motor running. All of my friends use drum machines so I do not have another to compare it to. I can grab the cable end and almost stop it which I guess I was expecting my hand to get ripped off of my arm and then I would say that was dumb.

The machine looks new but before I unload my drum machine I wanted some input from some owners what I should expect from this thing, should I tear it apart and give it the once over or is there a part that wears quickly that I should check? Thanks

Re: K 50

noisy is not good if it's just running.

the clutch might be worn as there is no adjustment.

there are a few bolts that hold the motor to the main body. check to see if there is a lack of grease on the pinion gear. also verify the clutch is clean and not worn out.

the machine should spin the cable beyond your grasp.

i do like the k-50, it's marks favorite.

the k-60 is my baby

if you post a short youtube video, we can watch and listen. it's still a basic direct drive. i think a little cleaning and greasing should fix you up.

rick.

here is the parts break down link. http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/EE1CA3B...Machine_PL.pdf
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Drop the motor from the machine and run it there should only be a humm if the motor is loud it has a bad bearin in the motor. Next with the motor off turn the bevel gear without a cable. Then put a cable in and chuck down and see if it binds up with a cable if it does it has a bad bearing in the head there are 2 bearing both are the same. The big problems are these machines do not get greased and the legs are often put on wrong and the drains on the head get blocked and water goes in the motor marvin

Comment

Rick and Rod Man, Thanks for the replies.

I will do as suggested and see what I come up with. As far as the youtube video rick, It took me 15 minutes to remember how to post a question. I'm more mechanical than digital. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Keep a drum machine and you'll never lack torque

Comment

Guarantee that k50 is lighter than any drum you will ever use..The 50 is a pretty tough machine for it's size ..If I need to break out the 5/8" cables though out comes big bro ..You know what that is ..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by OLD1; 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM.
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i like to use the k-50 indoors on top of washing machines and inside large showers. the 7.5' cables are easy to handle without a guide hose.

if i get stuck on an inside kitchen sink stoppage which is always the messiest stoppage 1 can encounter. the k-50 with the 4 blade cutter or the reverse auger is the trick. of course if you can run water to help flush it out, then the cable comes back much cleaner.

that's why i prefer a vent on a kitchen sink. no mess to worry about and the ability to run water to clean. 50% of the kitchens have an outside c/o here

a mortar tray will hold the machine and the cables. i just let the cable loop in the mortar tray.

the k-50 is a great machine for the small stuff. i prefer the slower speed, smaller foot print and light weight of the k-50, over the k-60. but remember i limit the k-50 to 2'' and below. anything 2'' outside c/o and above will get the k-60 and 7/8'' cable.

so the k-50 gets the smaller lines and awkward locations while the k-60 gets the serious stoppages. of course those without a k-50, the k-60 will still do it all

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

'nough of the buyers remorse.
                The K50 was a good choice.
                They are not quiet machines nor do they spin fast.
                Caps on legs sometimes get knocked off.
                Tape 'em or caulk 'em.
                I would heed the above advice on lubing and maintenance.

I would read up on the posts on using sectionals and keeping the job site clean.
                Sectional cables bring back lots of nice black stuff from kitchen drains.

And cleaning that stuff ain't fun....

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                  'nough of the buyers remorse.
                  The K50 was a good choice.
                  They are not quiet machines nor do they spin fast.
                  Caps on legs sometimes get knocked off.
                  Tape 'em or caulk 'em.
                  I would heed the above advice on lubing and maintenance.

I would read up on the posts on using sectionals and keeping the job site clean.
                  Sectional cables bring back lots of nice black stuff from kitchen drains.

And cleaning that stuff ain't fun....
                  the sectional machines bring back lots of black stuff from the kitchen drains because they do such a better job of auguring/ cleaning the line

the real trick is to use water once you clear the line and before you pull back the cable. it's really the only way you have to flush away the muck. a real nasty kitchen requires water to clear the stoppage. otherwise you just drill through it and the muck stays put.

i trick is to get an aerator adapter and install a 1/4'' or 3/8'' poly tube on it. this can then be inserted into the nipple past the trap 90. a small tray under the 90 will catch any run off.

of course a roof vent is the way to fly

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Another trick is to disconnect the 5/5" cable right at the trap adapter with maybe two inches of cable sticking out. Attach the p-trap Assembly and flush the line with your cable in the line. Remove the trap and remove your clean cables.

Also remove the rubber feet from the k-50 legs and drop in washers or a nickel inside the feet to keep the pipe from cutting through the rubber feet. One thing we do is drop the motor once a month and clean inside the machine and the top of the motor and regrease the machine. I bought a machine off a guy that was not happy with it. He said the motor burned out on him and tole me to give him 50 bucks and he be happy. When I got it into the shop sure enough plugged it in and the motor was not running. Dropped the motor plugged it in and it ran fine. The trouble was so much dirt and crud was in the gear housing it was not letting the motor even start up.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      Another trick is to disconnect the 5/5" cable right at the trap adapter with maybe two inches of cable sticking out. Attach the p-trap Assembly and flush the line with your cable in the line. Remove the trap and remove your clean cables.

Also remove the rubber feet from the k-50 legs and drop in washers or a nickel inside the feet to keep the pipe from cutting through the rubber feet. One thing we do is drop the motor once a month and clean inside the machine and the top of the motor and regrease the machine. I bought a machine off a guy that was not happy with it. He said the motor burned out on him and tole me to give him 50 bucks and he be happy. When I got it into the shop sure enough plugged it in and the motor was not running. Dropped the motor plugged it in and it ran fine. The trouble was so much dirt and crud was in the gear housing it was not letting the motor even start up.
                      All good points especially dropping the motor ..It's only 3 bolts and you can clean it real good and re grease..I really miss my 50 for running the drums ..The 60 just snapped a drop head auger off one of my 5/16" cables..That cable is way too small for the 60 to run..I even use a 3/8" cable with male end to utilize different cutters ..Kinda worried I am going to snap that one too

Comment

If it has 3 bolts its a very old k-50 the head lifts off and the motor stays. The k-50d has 2 bolts and the motor drops marvin

Comment

I love my '82 K-50. It's the perfect all-around machine for sinks, tubs showers and floor drains. The ability to run small drums 1/4". 5/16" and 3/8" in addition to the versatile 5/8" sectional makes it unique.

Old1, didn't we tell you to be careful with those drum adapters on the K-60

just kidding bud, all in fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                            I love my '82 K-50. It's the perfect all-around machine for sinks, tubs showers and floor drains. The ability to run small drums 1/4". 5/16" and 3/8" in addition to the versatile 5/8" sectional makes it unique.

Old1, didn't we tell you to be careful with those drum adapters on the K-60

just kidding bud, all in fun!
                            Oh yes you did..I am always one to push the envelope and learn the hard way..The 5/16" cable was probably rusted and weak to start with ..Yeah thats it

What I do wish is that they , (ridgid) would come out with a drum attachment for the 60...

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                              What I do wish is that they , (ridgid) would come out with a drum attachment for the 60...

What you are wishing for is a drum machine

Comment

Working...
                              X