X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More .55 Cable Issues....

Is anyone else having issues with their cables always going bad near the end weld after 50 jobs or so of use ? I'm lucky as hell the first one didn't totally break off in a sewer again

Last edited by AssTyme; 05-01-2011, 04:49 PM.

Re: More .55 Cable Issues....

I found if you do not keep the cable lubricated it can cause issues. Also the welds are the weakest part of the cable so be sure to hit the ends with some sort of penetrating oil to ensure if any acid might be working its magic on the welds you will put a stop to it.

Also be careful of over torquing the cable, when you feel the cutter get in a bind let it build up some torque and break it free. Letting it build up to much torque will put to much unneeded stress on the welds. The above happens with standard cable as well but when it breaks at the weld you will lose the cable.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

never happens on a sectional

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        never happens on a sectional

rick.
        I have seen sectionals break due to acid in the lines weakening the metal. And I only broke one sectional in my lifetime over torquing the cable. It takes a bit of talent to over torque a sectional cable, since its designed is to cut the blockage with rotation speed to cut the blockage verses how a drum is designed to build up torque and tear the blockage

Comment

The above has never happened to me when I was running OEM Spartan cables. And this was when I was very green and was torquing the chit out of the cables. After some leaning I've been much easier on them as of late. My Spartan rep gives me a buy 4 get the 5th for free deal so they really aren't that much more $$$ than the other brands. When it comes to .55 cables Spartan can't be beat !!!

Comment

I haven't changed a .55 cable in 5 years. I don't use mine everyday like you guys do however. Mine are, of course, the original Spartans. I do keep them lubed, for the most part, and I'm careful with torqueing.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I can't think of anything other than torque that would cause the cable to start unwinding like that. Unless it has something to do with the heat of the weld and tempering of the metal?
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

My brother uses a mix of Spartan and Drain Cables Direct's .66 cable. Only time he has seen one of the double outer windings break from the weld is when he fails to keep it properly lubed up. He has had the Spartan and the DCD cables do that to him. But when he properly maintains them he gets about 2 years out of them before he wears them out.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                  I can't think of anything other than torque that would cause the cable to start unwinding like that. Unless it has something to do with the heat of the weld and tempering of the metal?

Comparing the Spartan cables to other brands it's like they have a different manufacturing process. For the welds and winding of the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    Is anyone else having issues with their cables always going bad near the end weld after 50 jobs or so of use ? I'm lucky as hell the first one didn't totally break off in a sewer again

Form the second pic it looks like the cable has been over torked a few times by the looks of the cable winds being offset.
                    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                    1-920-284-7471

Comment

I've had the same problem with every single cable I've ran (around 10), not just a few. I'll let everyone know if this ever happens to one of my Spartan cables as that's all I'm going to run from now on.

Comment

Working...
                      X