Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
K60 what am I doing wrong? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • K60 what am I doing wrong?

    I have had the k60 for about a year now and I still havent had good luck with it. Did a root job yesterday from a basement clean out major root wad at 68' worked it over 5-6 times and only cleared about 40% of it. Went back today with the k7500 and destroyed the roots in one pass. I am still not sold on the k60. After hearing all the good things here im guessing its something i'm doing. Any tips or look for it to be up for sale here soon.
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

  • #2
    Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

    What type of head were you using in what size pipe?
    The k-60 is not a 7500.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

      K-60's excel with saw type blades acting like a high speed hole saw.
      Seattle Drain Service

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

        Originally posted by Cuda View Post
        K-60's excel with saw type blades acting like a high speed hole saw.
        That's where I was headed.
        They sometimes have a tendancy to load up with product on the teeth.
        Occassionally I'll try and pilot hole with the 4-blade or even the auger,which by the way I'm scared of due to the three that Plumber Rick broke the welds on in one day.
        I think I'm just going to go ahead and cut a 7/8" section and make my own 12' auger(P-Rick)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

          How do you know the 7500 does the job in one pass?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

            the k-60 with the spiral root saw is the cutter of choice. forward will cut like a hole saw and running in reverse will act as an auger hook. there is no better agressive root cutter than a spiral root saw.

            now i know if you want to sell it, there will be a bidding war. and i don't like second

            the proper cutters are the key to success.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

              I generally start with a spade bit and work up to a 3" or 4" C cutter. All the root jobs ive done with the k60 I never pull back a large rootball. with the 7500 I can make multiple passes at the problem area and when I quit pulling back roots I'll video the line. With the 60 it's tough to feed the cable in and out. I just seem to get really dirty and sweaty. And the line still needs to get cleared more. Its usually these jobs the customer is watching me the entire time and I feel like a monkey humping a football.
              Mike
              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                I sold my 7500 to Rick1643
                I'll have him check in

                I cannot carry the 7500 in my rig.In three years I have not failed with the k-60 and the proper bits.I have however opened lines that up to three plumbers have failed at.
                To each his own though.Dunbar and all clear love their big drums

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                  I only use the c-cutters on the k-60 for grease or something soft. I use the 4 blade small and large to get lines open then my root saw if it's roots.
                  Seattle Drain Service

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                    Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                    I only use the c-cutters on the k-60 for grease or something soft. I use the 4 blade small and large to get lines open then my root saw if it's roots.
                    And the crowd goes wild

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                      Originally posted by haycad View Post
                      I generally start with a spade bit and work up to a 3" or 4" C cutter. All the root jobs ive done with the k60 I never pull back a large rootball. with the 7500 I can make multiple passes at the problem area and when I quit pulling back roots I'll video the line. With the 60 it's tough to feed the cable in and out. I just seem to get really dirty and sweaty. And the line still needs to get cleared more. Its usually these jobs the customer is watching me the entire time and I feel like a monkey humping a football.
                      Are you letting the RPM's get the roots or forcing the cable in to the mass until the cable stops and springs back. The k60 relies on High rpms all the time. It will do a great job for you if used right, but you will always feel like a monkey humping a football. it is to much work for me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                        Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        It will do a great job for you if used right, but you will always feel like a monkey humping a football. it is to much work for me.


                        I don't think anyone could have said it better.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                          if that's how you feel, then you need to take lessons from a k-60 user with experience.


                          i've given more demos to plumbers who have never seen the machine and were so impressed they either went out and bought 1 or asked the boss for 1.

                          there is no reason to be flimsy with the machine.

                          it's simple to set up and use. if it wasn't, would there be so many people praising the k-60.

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                            Back when I ran 7/8" sectionals, I always started out with the straight auger then work my way up to the larger blades. Yes I am making more than one pass, but in times of heavy roots it will go much faster to start with a starting bit and working your way up than it does to go in with a large root saw and getting to large of a bite. The same goes for 1 1/4 cable and even with drum machines start off with a starting bit, then increase the cutter in increments.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: K60 what am I doing wrong?

                              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              Back when I ran 7/8" sectionals, I always started out with the straight auger then work my way up to the larger blades. Yes I am making more than one pass, but in times of heavy roots it will go much faster to start with a starting bit and working your way up than it does to go in with a large root saw and getting to large of a bite. The same goes for 1 1/4 cable and even with drum machines start off with a starting bit, then increase the cutter in increments.
                              I do the same.

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X