X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas company sends out warning to drain cleaning companies

the so cal gas company just sent me a heads up warning when snaking sewer sewer lines to be aware that the stoppage could be caused by an underground gas line that was installed using trenchless methods.

basically they use to pneumatically bore from the street main to the house to run their yellow hdpe gas lines to the meter. of course the tool would blast right through anything in it's way including sewer lines.

in all the years and thousands of sewer main cleanings, i've personally hit 1 and tore it. and also hit a utility conduit, but didn't damage it as i was only there to camera the stoppage.

the gas company wants us now to call in before snaking a main sewer that runs outside if you suspect the stoppage might be caused by a gas line. especially when you have to remove a fixture to snake from.

the one i hit was installed over 5 years prior and was plugging 3-4 times a year before i was brought in to camera the line. of course the line was already stopped up and i had to snake it first. this was in the days of the 7500. so i only nicked it causing a high pressure leak and hissing. had i had a k-60 at the time, i would have sliced it in half with my root saw.

so who else has also had a close call with a gas line?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: gas company sends out warning to drain cleaning companies

Not snaking, sorry. Many times digging. High pressure one once that evacuated the area.

J.C.

Comment

Who else had close calls with gas lines? Answer ,The Seven that died in the San Bruno
      gas line explosion. Also the folks that lived in the 37 homes that were destroyed.
      Nice work P.G.$E . Class act to give Your C.E.O. a 35 Million retirement package. He was at the wheel when You sank those familys.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Never ran across a gas line in a sewer BUT I did receive that same warning letter from the gas co a few months back.
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

never found one in a sewer line yet. Had an incident with a telco line laid thru a sewer a while back. I get cautious when working on foundation drains for just that reason. I've seen more than one where a util co whacked right through a carefully laid foundation drain.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I had the same problem here in iowa when i owned a roto rooter outfit but when i hit it we had to camrea it to find out what is was i could only get a whip threw it we kinda got lucky

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	f92fa2c5619479c94ed69514e4d0461d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	14617

I cut straight through a plastic gas pipe with this baby attached to the Root Ranger. We thought it was tree roots!

We only found out after the client called back saying there was a sewer smell in the bathroom. We returned to find the toilet bowl was bubbling gas. The sewer main had filled with gas and the emegrnecy services shut the street down and evacuated the area.

The RR snaps into the quick release coupling and the blade tears and scrapes at the roots, cement (or gas pipes!). The blade is laser cut and if you remove the quick coupler the blade will adapt straight onto a Ridgid eel cable and you can use it as a cable cutter head.

Oh, thats right, you guys still use 'screw-on' fittings....just ignor this post!
              Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

The same notice was sent out in areas on Long Island N.Y. to the home owners warning them to camera the pipe before cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	f92fa2c5619479c94ed69514e4d0461d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	14617

Oh, thats right, you guys still use 'screw-on' fittings....just ignor this post!

By Golly my great grandpappy used screw on fittings and not quick disconnects so thats all I'm going to use.............Plumbers in America are a hard headed bunch.

I have had 1 gas line so far I still worry about it on shallow sewers. luckily most of mine are deep.

Comment

Another reason to adapt different drain cleaning practices, instead of starting with a root saw or a big c-cutter, a smaller 4 blade is ran thru the line as a probe and to get the line flowing, then a camera is sent down to see what the problem is, if no gas or hi speed cable is found the operater may use a larger blade for the final clean. This of course makes the tech have to charge a little more to the customer but safety has been maintained and the procedure will stand up in court. A jetter would be another option. This all means not just any hack can clean drains because of the extra equipment needed.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

So the gas company considers their practice of "swiss-cheesing" sewer lines perfectly acceptable then?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                        So the gas company considers their practice of "swiss-cheesing" sewer lines perfectly acceptable then?
                        ya and not only that thats there way of getting off the hook if the poor sewer guy hits there gas line in the sewer
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                          Another reason to adapt different drain cleaning practices, instead of starting with a root saw or a big c-cutter, a smaller 4 blade is ran thru the line as a probe and to get the line flowing, then a camera is sent down to see what the problem is, if no gas or hi speed cable is found the operater may use a larger blade for the final clean. This of course makes the tech have to charge a little more to the customer but safety has been maintained and the procedure will stand up in court. A jetter would be another option. This all means not just any hack can clean drains because of the extra equipment needed.

So a jetter wouldn't cut through a PE gas line ..I figured it would slice through it like butter
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                            Good point Cuda not all hacks can afford a jetter or camera!
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Well looks like the Gas Co's have right of way on all sewer lines in this country now!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X