X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More jetter talk...

As you know my jetter is pretty well kaput. Lucky for me I have a backup. I've been using a 3.8 gpm at 3,000 psi cart with 1/4" x 150' with good success for quite some time. Mostly I jet drainfields, the occasional main line to the septic tank, sand filter mainifolds (with my 1/8" hose) and the occasional commercial kitchen line.

Now that I'm looking at going with a new machine, I need to make some decisions. My little septic truck carries 300 gallons of water. It also has a very large tool box that I could put a jetter and reel in. I'm considering switching to jetting only with this truck. Right now I carry my 300 for drain cleaning on it. I could use that on my big septic truck (that carries only 75 gallons of water), where I now carry my cart jetter and a 100.

So I could just replace the cart and go on the way I am now, or I could put a bigger machine and reel in the tool box and be able to do bigger jet jobs. What do you think? I'm pretty sure I could drum up more business for the jetter through my local plumbers.

If it was you, what would you do?
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Re: More jetter talk...

the bigger jetters have less competition as a whole. if you have a septic truck with 300 gallons of fresh water, i would gear it towards a decent jetter set up. if you have a pto, you could incorporate a pump to run off the pto shaft.
    a small jetter has too many guys doing the small stuff.

bigger jetters get bigger accounts and bigger pay.

go big.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      the bigger jetters have less competition as a whole. if you have a septic truck with 300 gallons of fresh water, i would gear it towards a decent jetter set up. if you have a pto, you could incorporate a pump to run off the pto shaft.
      a small jetter has too many guys doing the small stuff.

bigger jetters get bigger accounts and bigger pay.

go big.

rick.
      So what would you suggest gpm, psi and hose?

Comment

psi is easy and cheap to accomplish. it's the gpm that gets expensive.

what size lines are you jetting?

you could always throttle down a pump, but you can't ramp up a pump.

if your largest lines are 8'' pipe, then 16-18gpm is plenty.

roots are pressure and sludge is volume.

fill in the blanks and do you have a pto to run a pump or do you need an engine?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I suppose I'll have to do a survey of potential clients to find out what they are hiring other companies for. I do have a pto that is running my vacuum pump direct drive. I could convert to hydraulic but that would add alot of extra cost (I think. I don't really know what the engine would cost to run an 18 gpm pump). I'm thinking I might run an engine. This will drop off a bunch of idle time on the truck too. I don't run into roots that often, sludge is more likely the issue for me personally. One thing I just thought about is if I run it hydraulic, at least on the systems I have used, you can't run to motors at the same time. Some times I need to run the vacuum pump and the jetter at once.

You say roots are pressure and sludge is volume, what about grit or sand?

Comment

grit or sand....volume
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

18 gpm at 4000# requires at least a 43 hp diesel engine. mine is 50 net to also run the hydraulic pump for the reel.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Trent, you're gonna have a hard time fitting a big enough engine for that big of a pump in a toolbox under your hose trays on your truck. If you want that big of a jet, try this: A lot of trucks have a spot on both sides of the transmission for a pto. Rather than running it off of an engine, put a second pto on your truck and a right angle gearbox and come through the back of the toolbox and just mount the pump in the box. I checked in on that myself and most of the pumps are not directional, you can spin them either way, so there's not even an issue of trying to get your shaft rotation right. Then you'll have room for a remote hose reel, nozzles, etc. and you can put a heater core in the box to protect your pump in the wintertime. Maybe you could mount a larger 1/2"x200 or 300' power rewind reel ahead of or behind the toolbox on the frame. Hopefully you can find a reel that is fairly wide and not too deep so it fits in the 31" or so of space between your frame and the outside of your hose trays. If you are really into fabricating, put the larger reel on an arm that you can unlatch and swivel out the side of the truck. Sounds like fun, you supply the money and I'll tinker with it til it's cool, LOL! Kidding, of course, I'm so busy right now I don't have time to sleep, much less help someone build something that'll make me jealous.

Comment

Kendall, you are right about not enough room for the engine. I'll check into the dual PTO. I do have a good sized space behind my toolbox just before the rear tires. I just had a thought, why not put the reel on a slide? Seems like it would work.

Comment

Working...
                  X