Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cast iron sewer pipe cleaning question?

Looking for information on what would work best clean or resurface a old 3" cast iron sewer pipe hopefully without breaking it due to age 1960's. Root Rat, Root Ranger etc. Replacement is the best option but cannot afford cost of that right now. Hopefully cleaning out pipe will help. Mello Max suggested I write this forum for info. K-60, Cuda or anyone else please advise.

Thanks for your help!
    Jon

Re: Old cast iron sewer pipe cleaning question?

The 60s is hardly old pipes in most parts of the World. You have not really said what type of problem you are having so it would be hard to make suggestions for you. I believe your best bet would be to call Gear Junkie or drtyhands who are both members of the forum and in your area. They both own the same sewer cameras, they both own K-60s and they both own jetters.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Jetting is your best option. We use a 3/8" Warthog nozzle to knock it loose. BE PREPARED - you will end up with a heavy amount of scale that will not be easily removed from the line. It is often times time consuming to get it all out properly. Good access to this line will be key. Good luck!
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        The 60s is hardly old pipes in most parts of the World. You have not really said what type of problem you are having so it would be hard to make suggestions for you. I believe your best bet would be to call Gear Junkie or drtyhands who are both members of the forum and in your area. They both own the same sewer cameras, they both own K-60s and they both own jetters.

Mark
        House was built in the 50's or 60's. Max Reed and I ran a camera down the line. The back bathroom sewer line is holding water due to a dip in the line. When toilet paper is used it clogs approx where the water stops. Having the line replaced is not an option right now. The thought was if the line could be descaled or smoothed then everything might flow better until line could be replaced with trench-less. To do trench-less both baths have to be torn-up. Max has a Harben Jetter but his machine is down right now. What would be the best method to achieve a smooth line and hopefully not make the situation worse?

Comment

We use the spinning root rat with chain or wire to descale cast iron pipes. Wire might be safer in this case. It sends off sparks in the pipe.
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

A jetter would work best but I am not sure about trench-less indoors.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I gave Max my number when we all had dinner a few months ago.Tell him to give me a call.If Ben can't take care of you guys with his jetter I be right up there with mine.

Comment

With a dip in the line as you say, everything might not really help short of digging that spot up. If however you feel there is a lot up build up where the toilet paper stops then you may have a chance it will get you by.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Check your pm.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    I gave Max my number when we all had dinner a few months ago.Tell him to give me a call.If Ben can't take care of you guys with his jetter I be right up there with mine.

Thanks for your response. I spoke with Max this morning and he was not able to find your phone number. He did look at this forum. Asked if you could give him a call so we could move forward. His phone number is (sent to Adam in a PM). Thanks for your efforts.

Jon
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Once you get the line clean as possible and you still have problems,
                      a pressure assisted toilet might be able to overcome the dip
                      if it isn't too far away from the bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                      X