Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when $295. is less expensive than $75.

i'll explain

an out of town landlord living in wash. d.c. owns an apartment building out here in los angeles.

he's hired a guy for $75. every 3 months to snake out his sewer main running down the driveway to prevent a known root stoppage.

i guess he's tired of spending $75 4 times a year = $300.00

so i explained i'll come there 1 time a year and jet the line for $295.00

after 5 minutes of explaining the process and advantages, he was sold and i'm waiting to catch his job on the tail end of another jetting job. i don't normally jet a small job without a 2 hour minimum using a 7000# trailer jetter. but when i have excess time on a jetting day, i'll sneak in a few for extra credit

i've had days where i booked 1 job and added 3 more jobs at different locations.

jetting is soon becoming my next k-60

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: when $295. is less expensive than $75.

Next? I can see into the future.....soon, you will abandon the K-60. All jetting from there on out.

J.C.

Comment

Boy, Rick, I wish we could get your rates here! We've been jetting now for 2 weeks and have done 7 jobs so far, but we could never get $295 with a 2 hr. minimum, the main reason being like I've mentioned in other posts, we have enough of a market with our ag based economy for large jets that absolutely every septic company has either a large trailer or a full truck mounted jetter, some are even running combo trucks, so there is probably more competition here, but it is still profitable. We're more like $250/hr straight across, one hour minimum. Course, we're country bumpkins too so our cost of living is probably lower too.

Love jetting, though, glad we made the move, and especially glad we bought the trailer. Two upcoming jobs are 475' of 15" pipe completely blocked with silt and 100' or so of 10" about half blocked with silt. Neither job has water supply close, so our trailer is paying us back already.

Comment

Um Rick, was that a flat rate you just spit out there?

Comment

Clean out located outside? Or a remote inside job? I figure outside clean out for that price.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
            Boy, Rick, I wish we could get your rates here! We've been jetting now for 2 weeks and have done 7 jobs so far, but we could never get $295 with a 2 hr. minimum, the main reason being like I've mentioned in other posts, we have enough of a market with our ag based economy for large jets that absolutely every septic company has either a large trailer or a full truck mounted jetter, some are even running combo trucks, so there is probably more competition here, but it is still profitable. We're more like $250/hr straight across, one hour minimum. Course, we're country bumpkins too so our cost of living is probably lower too.

Love jetting, though, glad we made the move, and especially glad we bought the trailer. Two upcoming jobs are 475' of 15" pipe completely blocked with silt and 100' or so of 10" about half blocked with silt. Neither job has water supply close, so our trailer is paying us back already.
            Maybe I'm wrong, but our area is lacking in the jetting department. Besides every rooter company in the book, which isn't many, not many guys around here jet at all, and that's why I want to get into it.

Comment

the job is $295 total. that's $45.00 service call and $250 for the hour.

i looked up the video from 8/03 and saw it was roots in the 6'' line at 85'. access is from 4'' c/o for first 65' then the last 20' is 6''. that's where the jetter really shines

the 2 hour min. on normal jobs pays for me having to drag the jetter out of the shop and dragging it back. can't exactly drive around town with it and expect to park. that's why the 2 hours. but on these smaller non emergency jobs, i just fill in the blanks on a jetting day to pick up the lost time. it's a win win for all.

my big jetter has paid for itself in under 1 year with all the specialty work i've gotten from it.

just ordered a higher power remote that should get me 500' of signal.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have a similar set up on my jetter with remote. Where are you getting your higher power remote from and how much?

Comment

it's a home made remote set up i designed for my jetter. i'm getting a higher output transmitter to match my reciever and according to the specs, it's 500' line of site.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Funny how you word the charges, I just say $499 but I will do an easy one for a little less.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Rick to you camera the line when done jetting? What kin of warranty do they get with jetting over cabling?

I try to sell a jet job to almost every sewer line with roots, The results are so much better! Its a hard sell not to many people have a clue as to what jetting is

Comment

Rick, DON'T give him my name. He won't like our prices. We're at $750 min. for any jetting service.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Rick, DON'T give him my name. He won't like our prices. We're at $750 min. for any jetting service.
                          Good , Now that's more like it.
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i'll explain

an out of town landlord living in wash. d.c. owns an apartment building out here in los angeles.

he's hired a guy for $75. every 3 months to snake out his sewer main running down the driveway to prevent a known root stoppage.

i guess he's tired of spending $75 4 times a year = $300.00

so i explained i'll come there 1 time a year and jet the line for $295.00

after 5 minutes of explaining the process and advantages, he was sold and i'm waiting to catch his job on the tail end of another jetting job. i don't normally jet a small job without a 2 hour minimum using a 7000# trailer jetter. but when i have excess time on a jetting day, i'll sneak in a few for extra credit

i've had days where i booked 1 job and added 3 more jobs at different locations.

jetting is soon becoming my next k-60

rick.
                            Why is someone snaking the sewer 4 times a year??

He must be using a drum ..Def not a 60 ..(That was for Asstyme)

So what are you saying..With the jetter he would only have to get it done once a year??? Why doesn't he replace the sewer??
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                              Why is someone snaking the sewer 4 times a year??

He must be using a drum ..Def not a 60 ..(That was for Asstyme)

So what are you saying..With the jetter he would only have to get it done once a year??? Why doesn't he replace the sewer??
                              correct. it is a drum with 3/4'' cable.

the problem is the sewer is a 4'' main with 4'' cleanout. the 4'' runs approx 65' until just before the sidewalk then turns to 6'' for the balance of the line to the city main saddle connection. my video from 03 shows the heavy roots in the 6'' line at 85'.

the guy hasn't a clue of the line nor an expanding cutter.

any work in the public right of way/ sidewalk into street runs anywhere from 6-10k and needs a sewer contractor. i'll be retired before he sees any break even cost.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X