X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum drain cleaner

i've been using this technique for years now and thought it was a good time to share it with you

2'' shower drain with a combination soap scum, hair and cleanser. turns into a very solid clog up to the trap.

the trick is to scrape it off the walls of the pipe and suck it up so it doesn't plug the trap or beyond.

a 1.5'' x 16'' brass slip joint 90 and a 5 gallon ridgid bucket head vac.

use the brass 90 to scrape the walls of the pipe while the vac sucks up the grit and hunks.

this one also had the remnants of the 2'' built in test plug from 4 years ago.

rick.

original 4 year old drain and stoppage.

1.5'' x 16'' slip joint 90 with vac hose to scrape and vac the riser.

1 of the larger chunks of soap and scum.

rubber test seal that was still in the instant set drain top.

clean and no snaking required.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-12-2011, 11:53 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: vacuum drain cleaner

Just did this last week Rick. It's amazing what that stuff turns into. Add hair too it and voila! A very durable house coating.

I think the one I worked on is going to need the trap replaced in the not too distant future. 3" P-Trap wit offset 45's in the vertical before the trap. Car Wash shower.

Quicker to replace it than attempt a cleaning of it.

J.C.

Comment

Rick, You have a great Book Hidden inside of You ! It would be a great service to all, and help with Your college fund. How about
      Getting some Pro. help to assist in this ? Hope the ones near You give You a little push.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tell you what..I also figured it would be better to vacum instead of snaking in a lot of instances..Problem is my ridgid wet vac would take up 1/2 the truck..I am going to take a closer look at the bucket head vac. Looks like it takes up the space of well a 5 gallon bucket.. Good deal !
        Last edited by OLD1; 05-14-2011, 06:07 PM.
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

even better, the vac. cost $20.00 and comes with the basic 4' hose.

the new buckets are $3.00 and most any 5 gallon bucket will fit and snap on.

and when you need to. you can steal the bucket for your tools

i only have 2 as they are hard to find.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            even better, the vac. cost $20.00 and comes with the basic 4' hose.

the new buckets are $3.00 and most any 5 gallon bucket will fit and snap on.

and when you need to. you can steal the bucket for your tools

rick.
            are you talking about the vac heads for the 5gal bucket being hard to find? I see them at homedepot for 20bucks and lowes has them also.

i was thinking of getting a wet vac and saw the 5gallon bucket head but it seems like it was a bit too flimsy, i wondered if it would even last. I then looked at the 20 gallons that cost upwards of $100 and it just looked to big and it will take up too much room in my van.

Comment

I understand about room and carrying a vac. I just special ordered 2 Rigid Vacs from home depot that are 3 gallon. They are sleek, take up hardly any room. They are thinner then the bucket head and very powerful. It is a Rigid WD3050, sells for 49.97. You cannot find them at any stores unless you live in Canada. U can only order them at the special order desk at Home Depot or a Rigid retailer. I did use the Dewalt vac that was battery operated/ electric, it worked well with liquids but not to well with dirt and debris so I found this one and i am very happy with it.
              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

We have several Bucket Head vacs around. We use them everyday! They are the best for all sorts of things. I buy them at Home Depot and we just toss them when they are too nasty or get destroyed. All you need is a bucket!
                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

My HD has 100's of them in stock

Less the one in my van

Comment

I buy the biggest baddest Shop Vac I can find ( I currently have the 16 gallon Ridgid) and use them until they quit or I cant get the stink out...lol I really like hydro excavating water meter boxes and sucking out dirt on concrete cut remodels. 100's of uses for a good vac:-)

Comment

I've also been thinking about a bucket head....have a 12 gallon (or maybe 16) Ridgid now but it just takes up too much space. Bucket head would be nice since I already have a 5gal in the truck at all times anyway. I just don't know if they're all that powerful.
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                        I've also been thinking about a bucket head....have a 12 gallon (or maybe 16) Ridgid now but it just takes up too much space. Bucket head would be nice since I already have a 5gal in the truck at all times anyway. I just don't know if they're all that powerful.
                        Trust me on the WD3050, I saw it at a friends house and fell in love with it. It is very powerful yet small. The attachments are 1 7/8 sold in stock at Home Depot. If u don't like it, I will buy it for you.
                        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Working...
                        X