Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do for this?

This is a 4" pvc service ~ 550' long.

Vid is looking at the main at the end of it, ~ 160' from the last cleanout.

Appears to go to iron (?) at the saddle. Main appears to be pvc. Saddle has slipped on the main such that the wall of the main is blocking the flow path. HO has kept this working since I opened it and found the problem by not flushing paper. Dig would be in the street, block another house's drive, unknown if other utilities are in the way.

I'm considering trying to cut the offending bit of the wall of the main out with a root saw, or with something like what they use to bore services back in after a reline (metal cone-shaped bit with abrasives on it).

concerns are
    the bend right before the main messing up the angle of the cutter
    slipped saddle possibly exposing cut out wall of main upstream allowing infiltration and requiring a dig anyway
    can I do a decent job that will last

Thoughts?

This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: what would you do for this?

Isn't this the city's connection and there responsibility? It would be here. And they would decide how to proceed. Probably a dig up & correction.

J.C.

Comment

Not here. Here you own your service and your saddle. City's obligation is the main and only the main. If your saddle is causing infiltration, they require you to repair it at your expense. They do at least back you up on smoothing the dig permit process.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

alex, unless i'm seeing it differently than you. the pvc slip lining was not reinstated 100%. they need to go in to the main with the robotic cutter and reinstate the connection saddle.

now what worries me is that the liner might have slipped and is actually doing this to the other wyes in the system.

i would contact the city and show them your video. also find out when this main was slip lined. should be a city issue.

worse comes to worse, a k-1500 with a root saw will cut pvc with the proper grind. i've had to do it before. are you sure it's not a 6'' saddle connection?

call me if you want to discuss more options.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You think it was lined? I hadn't thought of that. That would explain the odd bit of iron or whatever at the saddle then pvc at the main. In fact it kind of has to be that... chalk yourself up another one, unofficially at least until I talk with the san district and confirm.

I will call and ask them if/when it was lined. If that's what's going on, they should buy it, or make the people who lined it buy it. That would really help this HO out... which she's nice and needs it.

I might get a little work too camming all the other services to confirm the liner not slipping .

ps... I've just never seen the step up to 6" before the saddle that seems to be typical for you... it's just not done here. I'm sure this is 4" to the main; a 3/8" warthog would not pass the gap.
          Last edited by Ace Sewer; 05-17-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

It looks lined
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Interesting...............

Comment

Dig or guess. Just my opinion.

Pictures of the fix please.

J.C.

Comment

This has been out there for months. I think I posted it earlier w/o the vid a while ago. Blows my mind what a difference a pic makes. And egg on my face for not twigging to the liner. It was a huge pita thawing the hundreds of feet of frozen to find this. It got started for me again because the ho is opening discussions with her ins co and needed the vid. Kudos to her for the smelly watsebasket keeping it open; I'm re-energized and going to get to the bottom of this and I think it'll turn out in her favor.

This forum is so very very good. Cameras are so so very very good.

Yes, if I'm involved and get them, the pics of the rest of the story will get posted.

Comment

she needs a bidet.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If rick is right about the liner, it looks like it slipped upstream. Can someone explain how it could go up grade?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Tell me why the main looks lined to you guys? I don't see it.

Looks like a PVC sewer with a typical saddle tap that got misaligned during installation or backfill. They come with a cast hub and a rubber gasket.

Comment

never seen a pvc sewer main with a cast iron/ or possible clay wye attached to it. then it converts back to pvc for the lateral.

based on what i see is a pvc slip liner that was inserted like a wet noodle using steam and then inflated back to size and allowed to cool. they then use a robotic cutter to reinstate the lateral.

you can also see a small root penetrating from the cut out. very typical of a slip liner.roots will find the opening and grow into the cut out.

either the cut out was off, or the slip liner slipped.

you can't see that from the video

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

It was lined. They were supposedly out today with the robo-tractor-cutter and cut the service back in. I'd asked to be on site and got the call an hour before they were going to go to work and was tied up with other commitments. Town guy has few options but wants to pay back h.o. for bill from frozen; we are trying to find a solution where he can do that w/o getting yelled at for it (of course, because I cut her some slack and didn't bill enough). No word on whether the liner slipped or the srevice was poorly reinstated from the get go. More to come.

Comment

how did i know that

i've made a lot of dirty movies in my days

glad you got to the bottom of it alex.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X