Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid k-400 (what can this machine do)

Hi all, I;ve been in the plumbing field for 11/2 years now, don't have any drain cleaning experince, but now i got my hands on a ridigid k 400, what can this machine do can cut though roots all all what are the pros and cons.

Re: Ridgid k-400 (what can this machine do)

Ridgid k-400 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum

Comment

I use mine only for secondary drains....kitchen sinks, laundry drains, and etc...never would use it in a root infested lines....
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I use a very similar machine, and I agree with Dcman, secondary drains only. It Will clean a main, but not a root stoppage. And, you're taking a good chance of tearing up a cable especially since you're new at this.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

the 3/8'' cable is ok for 1.5'' lines, but i would switch out to 1/2'' cable for cleanouts up to 3'' no roots.

it's a decent machine for the occasional handyman, but a full time plumber or drain cleaner will find it's too big for the small stuff and too small for the big stuff.

get yourself a k-39 or k-45 and a k-60 with 5/8'' and 7/8'' cable. for about $2000. brand new, you'll have the right machines to do 95% of everything you'll run into.

trust me

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

It's sold at Home Depot. Ridgid only sells the good stuff to trade specific tool suppliers.

I wouldn't even dream of touching roots with a K-400.

Comment

I have a K380, the model before the K400, basically the same machine, different frame/cart,
              I do not do a lot of drains, but the K380 had been much appreciated it has aloud me to open up a few drains that I would not have got with out it, the clog was beyond the reach of the Hand held type machine, (similar to the K39), and with the longer cable I was able to reach the blockage and clear the line,

when I first got it I got into some roots, (simply said I was lucky), I did get the drain open and the cable out,

but there are better machines out there,

If I was buying again I would follow Ricks advice and go with the drill cleaner and the K60, with the correct cables,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

K-400 is useless. It's made for people who shop at home Depot. The Ridgid K-400 is fast becoming just like those cheap hand cranks you find all kinked up and tossed into a corner. Just a more expensive mistake for home owners. It's for 2 lines or 3 inch branch lines only no roots.
                I remember looking at a call and the neighbor said you don't need his service "I have a real machine" Lol guess who got called back there and to pull out a real machine.

Even worse are those Harbor Freight General Mini Rooter knock off's Crap crap crap.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  K-400 is useless. It's made for people who shop at home Depot. The Ridgid K-400 is fast becoming just like those cheap hand cranks you find all kinked up and tossed into a corner. Just a more expensive mistake for home owners. It's for 2 lines or 3 inch branch lines only no roots.
                  I remember looking at a call and the neighbor said you don't need his service "I have a real machine" Lol guess who got called back there and to pull out a real machine.

Even worse are those Harbor Freight General Mini Rooter knock off's Crap crap crap.
                  Don't sugar coat it...what are you trying to say...lol...

Derek

Comment

Have one... will gladly trade it for a k-50 (I already own a k-60)
                    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
                      Take a number!!!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post

That K-50 is a heavy little sucker for it's size

Comment

that's because it's all motor and all business.

it's not had a major design change since it came out. that's a good thing

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

OK ... all the real plumbers have a point and should be heeded ... I bought my K-400 on Christmas Eve just before HD was closing ... I knew I'd never get anyone to come out and my wife was frantic. I LOVE REAL PLUMBERS and would not try to DIY unless I was in a real bind. Well, the K400 is a very nice machine for them that knows what they are doing ... it is NOT a professional machine. I cleared my "soft blockage" with a lot of dwell time and patience. It is a very fine machine, but I know a clueless Joe could REALLY get himself into trouble ... My advice is to get to know a plumber you trust ... they may be able to help you in more ways than just plumbing ... most are average Joes with above average understanding of the mechanical universe. Find a good one and make him your friend. Read this forum so you can avoid PISSING off your new friend ... a good plumber understands what you want and what it will take. You get what you pay for ... I love this forum ....... sometimes when **** goes bad it is going to cost you ~ so don't throw your money away with RR and RR wanabees .... ; )

Comment

Have to agree with Rick on this
                              400 is mainly for kitchen and you take a chance putting it to the test in a main line
                              But i find alot of machine on the small size like that are only able to handle Kitchens size lines.
                              I do like Rick 300 machine but i live in hawaii . lol
                              I got spartan mainly machine and they are work horses but they are not as controllable as a k-60
                              But they are powerful and do have very good power feeds on them.
                              I carry 125 feet in mine and love the machine but most of the work is getting it to the clean out but with that machine
                              you should be train on it, so you dont break a arm.
                              But i would not mine a 400 type machine for smaller jobs where i want to keep the mess down.
                              Knowing what the cable can and cannot do is the biggest part of any machine when you run it i would say.

Comment

Working...
                              X