X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting drain cleaning business

hi guys finally built it a heated pressure washer 5gpm @ 4000 mounted on trailer with 250 gallon tank got 1/8 hoses 1/4 hoses and 3/8 hoses
    now where do i go from here
    i currently work as a plumber/ drain cleaner from 8-5 but wanting to start my own
    past year i've been working with other plumbers that don't have the equipment to do drain cleaning
    but that has been really hit and miss
    any advise to get customers? what about insurance ?
    also will be competing against a 150.00 local drain guy he's been pretty much killing everyone here
    any and all advise welcome
    thanks
    Last edited by ironmann44; 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM.

Re: starting drain cleaning business

will you be competing against your present employer?

if so, you'll probably get let go.

when i started, all we did was large scale new construction plumbing. so any side work, did not compete with the boss. i was able to build up customers slowly but shirley for 16 years before i went into business for myself.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

currently driving hour and half to get to work really won't be competing and he knows that i do side work

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        will you be competing against your present employer?

if so, you'll probably get let go.

when i started, all we did was large scale new construction plumbing. so any side work, did not compete with the boss. i was able to build up customers slowly but shirley for 16 years before i went into business for myself.

rick.
        Rick, does Joey know about this Shirley gal?

As Alf would say, "Ha, I kill me!"

Ironman, you need to create a full business plan for your new venture including budgets, sales goals/projections, operating expenses (INSURANCE, licenses, INSURANCE, taxes, INSURANCE, oh yeah did I mention INSURANCE?), advertising (even if it's just printing business cards), etc. You need to know what it's going to cost you to get into business and how much it's going to cost you to STAY in business. You need to carefully consider every aspect of your new business. Consider consulting an accountant that works with small contractors to help you with the numbers.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ironmann44 View Post
          also will be competing against a 150.00 local drain guy he's been pretty much killing everyone here

Must be nice, around here $150.00 for a main line is average to high. We have a $50.00 and a $85.00 guy

Comment

thanks to all, lots of good points here

Comment

I agree with Chris, definetly do a business plan it will give you a clearer picture of what you need / have / should do. After I wrote mine (Business Plan Pro is a must have software) I realized the way I wanted to start was not going to work. So I practically worked 2 jobs for a year before going out on my own. I used all the money I earned from side jobs and stuck it right back into my company. I made sure I had a nice cushion of $$ too. Advertising is important, and it usually takes some time for it to start working. I've been running radio ads for 4 months and I am finally now starting to get calls from them. Start with a craigs list ad. I still run those. Some of my best customers found me on craigs list.
              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
              X