X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new to the k60

Brian was very helpful thanks! we were both said it would be fun to do a ride along day with you. let us know when you need a couple of trainees.

Comment

Hate to get off topic a bit, but I have a K50 and I'm not to experienced with it. Have had it maybe 3-4 months. When I engage the clutch and grab the cable it will stop spinning. The clutch seem to be in good order, but I'm no Ridgid drain machine expert. Is it suppost to stop spinning by just the power of my grip? If not, what is causing it to be that weak?

BTW, my K50 aint new, probably 15 years old.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I just put a new front bearing in the one I got...put a cable in it and no it did not stop spinning in my grip with channel locks...I would like to think it is probably clutch jaws not gripping the cable good...but that is a guess based on what I could tell how it operates when I had it apart...suprised none of the other K-50 users didn't post a reply....but if they pm'd ya, my bad....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
          Hate to get off topic a bit, but I have a K50 and I'm not to experienced with it. Have had it maybe 3-4 months. When I engage the clutch and grab the cable it will stop spinning. The clutch seem to be in good order, but I'm no Ridgid drain machine expert. Is it suppost to stop spinning by just the power of my grip? If not, what is causing it to be that weak?

BTW, my K50 aint new, probably 15 years old.
          Sounds like a clutch problem too. If it has deep grooves where it grabs the cable then spend $25 or $30 bucks on a new clutch

Originally posted by dcman View Post
          I just put a new front bearing in the one I got...put a cable in it and no it did not stop spinning in my grip with channel locks...I would like to think it is probably clutch jaws not gripping the cable good...but that is a guess based on what I could tell how it operates when I had it apart...suprised none of the other K-50 users didn't post a reply....but if they pm'd ya, my bad....
          Did it get any quieter for you after the new bearing??

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Sounds like a clutch problem too. If it has deep grooves where it grabs the cable then spend $25 or $30 bucks on a new clutch

Did it get any quieter for you after the new bearing??

No it didn't...I think it might be the motor....if I drop the motor its quiet...but when I set it in, its loud, kinda like the motor is stressed under the load of the gears....guess I get to investigate the cheapest way to fix it..I don't know if the motor can be fixed or if i can buy a aftermarket motor from like Grainger or what....

Derek

Comment

Dude, the K-50 is never quiet.

Did you change the clutch? They wear out 10X's faster than the K-60 clutch. I believe it's due to the direct drive design. My K-50 is older than yours and the motor is still very strong.

My honest advice would be to pack it up and ship it to AJ Coleman or maybe All-Star if that's closer/cheaper.

If it is the motor, wouldn't consider a motor that isn't a Ridgid

Now if you'll excuse me, there is a cheese dog with my name on it .

-Chris
              Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 06-16-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

still poping the overload on a new k60 belt and clutch look fine. am i doing some thing wrong? or is the motor super sensitive now that it has poped? 45' x 4" w/ a 7/8 spring end. dosen't seem to be enough to stop a 1/2 horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                  Dude, the K-50 is never quiet.

Did you change the clutch? They wear out 10X's faster than the K-60 clutch. I believe it's due to the direct drive design. My K-50 is older than yours and the motor is still very strong.

My honest advice would be to pack it up and ship it to AJ Coleman or maybe All-Star if that's closer/cheaper.

If it is the motor, wouldn't consider a motor that isn't a Ridgid

Now if you'll excuse me, there is a cheese dog with my name on it .

-Chris
                  Enjoy the cheese dog! I had the back half off and its still loud....It maybe its just loud...it just confuses me that when I drop the motor its quiet and when its under load its very loud...I am not a motor expert, but I did wonder if a motor can do that......I didn't know All-Star would work on sewer machines....thanks!! Me...I am gonna have a soft salty pretzel!!

Derek

Comment

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment I think i figured out my problem! the idler cone & bearing are not centered in the housing.causing the clutch bracket to hit the housing under load.the spacing between the bearing and housing lower right is about3/16 and upper left is 0 . one can see the marks in the pics.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by pipe doc; 06-18-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I was so happy to find out what is going on w/ my k60 ( a simple tool and die problem) not the idiot running it, not a fatal design failure ,under powered ,defective motor. I am so excited to get it back on line. it is a great machine .

Comment

Have you used in now that you took it apart and put in back together? I had to do the same thing.....

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                          Have you used in now that you took it apart and put in back together? I had to do the same thing.....
                          yes it worker great till under load then the motor would pop .

Comment

So even after you found the problem, its still popping the breaker?

Derek

Comment

yes the bracket on the clutch is hitting the housing even w/ new clutch .

Comment

Originally posted by pipe doc View Post
                                yes the bracket on the clutch is hitting the housing even w/ new clutch .
                                Sounds like you might need to send it back under warranty......?

Derek

Comment

Working...
                                X