Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new to the k60

Originally posted by TheMaster
    I dont care if you get dirty,its all about the customer.

option......push a cable back into a sealed drum......or option 2 drag it out the azz end of a machine in 10' pieces and haul it out. DUH.
    Option 3: use a long guide hose (i use a 21' hose of 3/4" liquidtite) and never have to pull the cable out of it during a job. I would say 95% of my K/S drains can be cleared in less than 20'.

No matter what type of machine you use, there is always going to be cable between the machine and the drain.

A skilled draincleaner can use any machine safely, effectively and keep the job clean.
    Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 07-07-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
      or option 2 drag it out the azz end of a machine in 10' pieces and haul it out. DUH.

Comment

using only drums for 15 years then getting a k60 (so i would not have to haul a dm55 into basements and crawl spaces) i was surprised how versatile the k60 is lavs to mains w/ one tool. looking forward to using some 5/8 cable i only have 7/8 now . drain cleaning is a dirty sport there is no magic bullet to fix it all (or Rick would have a collection ) the k60 comes close . since getting it up and running i have made a point to use it on every drain cleaning job possible to get use to the different feel and set up. so far 2 drains out of 25 were better w/ a drum 1. an over head (one man cant feed and hold the clutch on wile on a ladder ) 2.a tiny apt. where I had to go over the back of the washer through a 2" trap . other than that i have used the k60 no dirtier than a drum i use a drop cloth w/ both . splatter the occasional cabinet w/ both. that said the high speed open cable clean better imo. apparently I am drinking the k60 koolaid, have some!

Comment

Originally posted by pipe doc View Post
          using only drums for 15 years then getting a k60 (so i would not have to haul a dm55 into basements and crawl spaces) i was surprised how versatile the k60 is lavs to mains w/ one tool. looking forward to using some 5/8 cable i only have 7/8 now . drain cleaning is a dirty sport there is no magic bullet to fix it all (or Rick would have a collection ) the k60 comes close . since getting it up and running i have made a point to use it on every drain cleaning job possible to get use to the different feel and set up. so far 2 drains out of 25 were better w/ a drum 1. an over head (one man cant feed and hold the clutch on wile on a ladder ) 2.a tiny apt. where I had to go over the back of the washer through a 2" trap . other than that i have used the k60 no dirtier than a drum i use a drop cloth w/ both . splatter the occasional cabinet w/ both. that said the high speed open cable clean better imo. apparently I am drinking the k60 koolaid, have some!
          i've done both of your problem examples. the k-60 is very easy to strap to the top of an "a" frame ladder. especially a little giant where you can control the height of the ladder. so overhead drains are still pretty easy with the k-60.

i find that using the k-50 sitting on top of the washer or dryer using a yoga mat to protect the machine works great. i use the k-50 over the k-60 as i like the lighter weight and footprint. plus the 5/8'' cable is safer to use on the slower speed 50.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i've done both of your problem examples. the k-60 is very easy to strap to the top of an "a" frame ladder. especially a little giant where you can control the height of the ladder. so overhead drains are still pretty easy with the k-60.

i find that using the k-50 sitting on top of the washer or dryer using a yoga mat to protect the machine works great. i use the k-50 over the k-60 as i like the lighter weight and footprint. plus the 5/8'' cable is safer to use on the slower speed 50.

rick.
            Me too all around.

TM, I have 2 hoses that are 21' each with 3 sections of C-8 pre-loaded into the guide hoses. I can carry the K-50 in 1 hand, my hand tools in the other and have the guide hoses over my shoulder. It takes me about 30 seconds longer to set up than with my spartan 100.

I thought it was all about giving the customer a better job and not about what's easier? In K/S lines where grease is the #1 culprit a sectional is going to clean and scour the pipe a lot more effectively than a drum machine will because of the open wound cable and higher RPM's........I agree that drums are sometimes nominally simpler and easier to set up, but I've tried both and I greatly prefer the sectional.....even for "longer" runs over 40'

Have you ever used a sectional machine? It sounds from the way you are talking ("it would be a nightmare") that you haven't.

Dang it, there I go breaking that half-years resolution to stay out of the drum-sectional war......neutrality is just too hard to maintain! I don't know how Switzerland does it!

Now if you all will excuse me, there is a spot in the bleachers at Route 66 Speedway with my name on it....NHRA races here I come!! I can already smell the N20!!! I love the smell of Nitrous in the morning....smells like, victory

Comment

Originally posted by pipe doc View Post

I was in the same boat as you....drummer for a long time...now using the K-60 for 3 months and haven't had to use anything but that....on smaller drains I put down a large movers pad....don't have much need or calls for overhead drains here....the key is after every use for small drains if the cable is really bad, I go to a car wash and clean it off, then spray it with WD-40 let it dry and wait for the next one...once cabling the drain and get it flowing, let it just spin with the water on and I dawn detergent my lines then let it run again for a while then turn off the water and spin it for a few more minutes...then pack up and move on!!!
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                I was in the same boat as you....drummer for a long time...now using the K-60 for 3 months and haven't had to use anything but that....on smaller drains I put down a large movers pad....don't have much need or calls for overhead drains here....the key is after every use for small drains if the cable is really bad, I go to a car wash and clean it off, then spray it with WD-40 let it dry and wait for the next one...once cabling the drain and get it flowing, let it just spin with the water on and I dawn detergent my lines then let it run again for a while then turn off the water and spin it for a few more minutes...then pack up and move on!!!

No time for that on the days I'm doing several jobs.....way too much drama for me.............

95% of mains in my area can be cleared with a light weight drum machine no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  No time for that on the days I'm doing several jobs.....way too much drama for me.............

95% of mains in my area can be cleared with a light weight drum machine no problems.

I was in that statement referring to small drains and the 5/8" cable only....I don't do on average just 4 or 5 of those a week...so time isn't that bad for me.....if I was doing a lot of small drains a day then yes I would not be going to the car wash that often....And for the record "spin drying the cable" doesn't mean IMO its dry, its just not full of water, hence the movers pad....
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    I was in that statement referring to small drains and the 5/8" cable only....I don't do on average just 4 or 5 of those a week...so time isn't that bad for me.....if I was doing a lot of small drains a day then yes I would not be going to the car wash that often....And for the record "spin drying the cable" doesn't mean IMO its dry, its just not full of water, hence the movers pad....
                    Oh you guy's don't put your cables in the Home owners washer and spin dry them!!!!? LOL
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

• Re: new to the k60

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                      Oh you guy's don't put your cables in the Home owners washer and spin dry them!!!!? LOL

Now that I'll believe

Comment

After re-reading my 2nd post [/FONT]I can see where you became confused. Please allow me to clarify for you. My intention was to express that a sectional machine would in fact be more efficient at performing the task of clearing a kitchen sink drain. My apologies for your confusion. Mea maxima culpa. Effectiveness and Efficiency are Inherently related and I guess I confused myself. That or my mild dyslexia is acting up again. Efficiency is after all a measure of energy input to create the desired output. You can consider that in relation to the machine or the operator. In heavy grease lines, I have found the sectional to be faster from start to finish than the drum. The sectional (K-50 or K-60) takes me less than a minute more to set up than the drum (the drum(s) I'm referring to is a Spartan 100 or a Ridgid K-380). I'll be generous and call it a minute more. The drum takes a lot longer to stir up that nasty black grease than the faster spinning sectional (also due to the open wound cable). So I can either spend a nominal amount of time setting up the machine or spend significantly more time working the cable break up the grease. So it's both more efficient for me and the machine to use the sectional. However, even after working the drum more I have found that the pipe is usually cleared of more debris and produces better flow after clearing with the sectional than the drum.

This is my opinion that has been formed after experience with both types of machines.
                        [FONT=Verdana]
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Rick so you still have your spartan 300 in storage?

Comment

I have both sectionals and drums. I have a Electric Eel Model C and Spartan 1065. I use the Model C over the 1065 anyday of the week. It does a better job. The sectional is king when it comes to cleaning 6" sewer lines. Now when it comes to cleaning drains inside of the home I prefer drums. They keep the mess down, are easier to set up, and I just think they work so much better inside. I've used Spartan 100(old unit, worn it out), General Mini Rooter(hate it, but still like it more than a K50 inside), Super-Vee (love it), and I have a K50 I have a Model N on order right now. The K50 works, it's great at cleaning grease filled kitchen sinks, but with all the space it takes up to set up I'd much rather use a drum. To me a Model C or K1500 can't be beat outside, and a Model N, Spartan 100, or K3800 can't be beat inside. And everyone should have a pistol grip drain cleaner with 3/8" IC cable for kitchen sinks and washers and 1/4" for Lav drains.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard707 View Post
                              Rick so you still have your spartan 300 in storage?
                              yes i have the 300, the 1065, 2- 7500, 3-750, and a couple generals.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                yes i have the 300, the 1065, 2- 7500, 3-750, and a couple generals.

rick.

You ever thought of selling some of your stuff off and retiring early or going on a nice vacation?
                                Will Rogers Plumbing
                                Moore, Oklahoma
                                (
                                405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                                http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                                X