X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumber rick to the rescue

had a job yesterday that was right out of the textbooks on how not to clear a sewer stoppage.

the customer called rescue rooter on friday for what she thought was a toilet stoppage. turns out it was a main line stoppage. so the tech didn't see the 4'' c/o with much easier access just the 3'' c/o that was up the stairs and around the backyard about 80' of cable away.

needless to say i get a call from the homeowners friend who's an electrician and ask if i can get a cable out of the line that was cut off and stuck

after getting the details of the job, i told him i would use my jetter to cut out the roots in the 6'' line that they were caught in.

the tech had his supervisor come out with the camera to see the problem and of course come up with an estimate to get out the cable. $3500.00 to jet, $10,000 to dig and $35,000 to replace the sewer line

that's when the owner of the property kicked them out and called me for help.

showed up to a hillside home on a narrow dead end street with very tight parking for a truck and jetter. met her electrician there and assessed the job. figured i'll use my 4 forward 6 rear 18gpm nozzle to cut out roots and allow my 1/2'' warthog nozzle to chop up the balance.

needless to say, the cable that 3 grown men couldn't pull out the day prior, i pulled out with 1 finger. approx 80' of .55 spartan cable. what's even better is there was no cutter, just a cable with a connector and a 45 degree bend. i doubt there was ever a blade as the coupler was bent and no way a pin would have been able to connect to it.

the jetter took longer to turn around and get out of the hillside than the jetting job took

homeowner was thrilled and i was off to start my 3 day weekend

rick.

so this is what i find when i get to the job. the cable was cut off in the rear 3'' c/o. 3 men couldn't pull it out.

that's right. my 1 finger is mightier than 3 men.

as you can see, the coupler is bent and no blade or pin was in it.

the 4'' c/o and the 1/2'' warthog nozzle i used to give it a thorough cleaning once i broke through with my 4f 6r nozzle.

the 1/2'' root ranger was not used as i was worried if i hooked the cable and got stuck. same rearon why i didn't try a cable and cutter to free it up.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: plumber rick to the rescue

Great work! BUT, Now You have a moral Dilemma! You're are in possession of 80 Ft. or rescue rooters sad cable. I feel the clever members of this forum will have some sweet suggestions for it's future! GAME ON !!!!!!!!!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

When ever I remove some other companies stuck cable, I call them to come get it. I always hope if I ever get stuck they would offer me the same consideration.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

actually i left the cable for the homeowner. the tech wanted to charge her $300.00 for the used cable.

they never left any paperwork and she never signed anything.

good luck collecting

did i forget to say, she's also an attorney

it's one thing to use the right equipment and a properly trained employee, it's another thing to send out a guy with the wrong wrong tools and not enough knowledge to know right from wrong.

probably a cheap lesson to learn

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

So the guy gets HIS cable stuck , abandons it and wanted to charge the customer for the cable..Now that takes balls. The sewer guy was probably going to have the cable taken out of his pay. So he thought he could pull a fast one..What a And a pat one the back and an atta' boy for Rick
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What I find most disturbing is that he is out trying to clear main lines with a whipped cable end. It looks like he was doing this for awhile as the one side of the coupling is worn down from rubbing on the inside of the pipe.

Comment

Do You think this cutterless cable is possible a clever ploy to sell a new lateral ? The proposed dollar amount speaks volumes about
              their intent !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

rick when you jet with a cable in the line i take it you never rotate the jetter hose. Do you just slide the jetter hose in, are you ever scared to get tangled on the cable??

Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  What I find most disturbing is that he is out trying to clear main lines with a whipped cable end. It looks like he was doing this for awhile as the one side of the coupling is worn down from rubbing on the inside of the pipe.
                  Good catch! Didn't see that worn end at first and was willing to give the guy a break thinking the head popped off when Rick pulled on it.

Rescue Rooter had to of known someone else was going to at least pull on the cable to get it out, right? C'mon they're not that dumb are they?

Comment

Rick, I really don't understand why you would even own a Root Ranger with the jetter that you have. As I understand it, the selling point of a Root Ranger is it's cutting power at lower GPM. In short, a poorer mans root cutter for those that don't have the funds or market for a high GPM jetter.

Then, the Warthog is less likely to get stuck and doesn't have to be worked nearly as much. So if you have the GPM & PSI for the Warthog, why would one ever need or want a Root Ranger?

Honestly asking 'cause I'm guessing there is some reason that I missed.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Good catch! Didn't see that worn end at first and was willing to give the guy a break thinking the head popped off when Rick pulled on it.

Rescue Rooter had to of known someone else was going to at least pull on the cable to get it out, right? C'mon they're not that dumb are they?
                      I'm sure they thought they were going to sell the job and remove it themselves.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Rick, I really don't understand why you would even own a Root Ranger with the jetter that you have. As I understand it, the selling point of a Root Ranger is it's cutting power at lower GPM. In short, a poorer mans root cutter for those that don't have the funds or market for a high GPM jetter.

Then, the Warthog is less likely to get stuck and doesn't have to be worked nearly as much. So if you have the GPM & PSI for the Warthog, why would one ever need or want a Root Ranger?

Honestly asking 'cause I'm guessing there is some reason that I missed.

Thanks.

J.C.
                        Don't forget he still has his cart jetter for when he need to be more portable.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Don't forget he still has his cart jetter for when he need to be more portable.

Mark
                          Understood. If there were little to no parking issues, and one could swing a high GPM setup, then the cart & Root Ranger would seem a little redundant.

Granted, I do no jetting. No parking issues here though.

J.C.

Comment

Remember JC Rick uses the Root Ranger because it is the most aggressive nozzle period. It takes no prisoners! As for RR using just a bent cable it fits there business model, ie it will work on soft stoppages, if it won't work because of roots then a new sewer is sold to the customer.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

$3500 to jet... they really have no shame.

On a steep hill the dig bids might not be out of line, but you just know they were. Thieves. Ask the atty to 'Angie's List' her experience. Better yet, wait for them to small claims or lien her for not paying, then get them in front of a judge lol.

Nice work Rick... You know they teed it up for you and all you had to do was swing, but nice work nonetheless.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X