X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call with the root ranger....

Had a close call with the root ranger while jetting a badly blocked storm water drain this week.

The tape I usually have indicating the last 2m of hose before the nozzle must have come off while working and as I pulled the hose back the nozzle shot out and took off straight up and over my shoulder!

Flew past me and into a lemon tree before I even got a chance to shut off the valve on the mini reel!

All I can say is I was damn lucky and it was a wake up call, that warning tape is a life saver and its straight back on there now.

I couldn't hear how close it was due to it being full of water and the pipe I was jetting was also deep under water in a hole.

Cheers Phil

Re: Close call with the root ranger....

Lots of the larger truck jetters I have worked with have a 5' leader hose that is a different color than the main hose to serve as your warning. There has been incidents where guys have been killed by a jetter nozzle getting away and smacking them in the head. I am glad you didn't get hurt at all and just had a scare.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i don't think a leader hose will work too good on a small hose at the couplings will not be too flexible.

i have a 10' leader of orange on my 1/2'' red hose.

electrical tape wears off pretty easy. but electrical heat shrink tubing holds up real good

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i don't think a leader hose will work too good on a small hose at the couplings will not be too flexible.

i have a 10' leader of orange on my 1/2'' red hose.

electrical tape wears off pretty easy. but electrical heat shrink tubing holds up real good

rick.
        Thanks Rick I like the idea of the heat shrink.

I had thought of that but was worried the heat might damage the jet hose?.

I might give it a try on an old section of damaged hose first.

Cheers Phil.

Comment

You guys might should wear helments.

Comment

no problem with a heat gun. just go slow and keep it away from the hose.

the heat shrink will eventually get snagged and cut. but if you feather some electrical tape at the leading edges, it tends to not snag.

a 2'' section of shrink tubing is plenty.

i use tape for my footage marks. just too lazy to heat shrink all my hoses every 10' with 5 different color codes. red 10', white 20', blue 30', yellow 40', green 50'. then it repeats.

also a sharpie/ magic marker also works pretty good on the hose next the tape for easy future marking.

now if only the hose makers could come up with a hose that changes colors every 10' or has a marker stripe of color. back to the drawing boards.

bill, how about i come to australia and we'll work on it

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post

actually i wear safety glasses, have a hand held remote control for my big jetter or a foot pedal for my portable jetter.

i also wear a medical alert usb bracelet on my wrist while doing this type of work. it's a read only usb memory that has all my contact info and medical records. i can update from my computer at any time. cost about $20.00 and comes in different sizes and colors. it's also water proof.

i use to wear it full time, but i'm worried about loosing it. if it had a better connector like a watch band, then it would be better.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Helmet does not help when it comes flying out of the manhole and clocks you in the jaw.

Comment

I have the medical alert usb as well, Rick. I got mine when I was put on blood thiner. It has come in handy a couple times for me, makes the check in at the ER go much faster as well.
                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  actually i wear safety glasses, have a hand held remote control for my big jetter or a foot pedal for my portable jetter.

i also wear a medical alert usb bracelet on my wrist while doing this type of work. it's a read only usb memory that has all my contact info and medical records. i can update from my computer at any time. cost about $20.00 and comes in different sizes and colors. it's also water proof.

i use to wear it full time, but i'm worried about loosing it. if it had a better connector like a watch band, then it would be better.

rick.

Comment

So, who is going to start a company making marked jetter hoses? Seems like it would be a lucrative business adventure. Seems like it would be a some what easy process if done during the process of making the hose. Black and caution yellow braiding on the last 2-3 ft would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      So, who is going to start a company making marked jetter hoses? Seems like it would be a lucrative business adventure. Seems like it would be a some what easy process if done during the process of making the hose. Black and caution yellow braiding on the last 2-3 ft would be cool.
                      Def. Also anodized color cables for snaking would be cool too.Come up with a color scheme for those too. They are pretty easy to remember footage though..I think
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Helmet does not help when it comes flying out of the manhole and clocks you in the jaw.
                        Thats why only professionals should use jetters right?

Comment

Thats why only professionals should use jetters right?
                          That is why someone that has been trained to use a jetter should use them. Some jetter manufactures will be more than happy to train the operators on how to use their machines safely when you buy them.

Comment

Working...
                          X