X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term cipp results

Has anyone inspected a cipp sewer after it was installed? If the original reason for lining was roots, what were the results when you inspected it and how long ago was the cipp installed?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Long term cipp results

I have inspected a lot of Liner jobs. Most (and I do mean most) are in fine shape, roots can only get around the outside of the epoxy. Probably the oldest I have looked at was 4 years old. The problems that I have seen are the liner stretched when installed and is protruding into the city sewer. There is a cutter made for this that is robotic ( I am scared to actually ask how much it cost at this point) I have seen liners that are thin in spots meaning the epoxy was not soaked into the liner evenly or not enough was used. I have seen folded in liners causing a restriction. And I have seen a lot of liners that just got shot in for the side sewer but lined over the downspout line that y's into the side sewer but the people didn't notice at first because the sewer was working great! till it rained. There are a lot of liners to choose from everything from home built units to factory made units. I have not bought one yet but will as soon as I can so that I can pipe burst from the house to the property line with HDPE then turn and line to the city street sewer saving the customer of the high cost of city street removal and repair. The company I think is the best is LMK Industries (Thanks Jake) But the biggest name in town is Perma-Liner.
    Last edited by Cuda; 06-04-2011, 01:30 PM. Reason: poor spelling
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I installed my first two around 7-03-07 and camed both of them about six mths ago both are just as they where when installed.

#1: 4" PVC roots NOT an issue then or now.

#2: 4" clay. Pipe broken under road and roots almost every joint. Installed patch at break. Still have to maintain root growth in the rest of the pipe but so far NO growth noted at the patch.

I've installed I'm guessing 4, specifically for roots (ie, at change over. AC bad belling of joint) and so far have not had to return, but they have not been in all that long. Time will tell but so far they seem to be keeping the roots at bay.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I installed my first two around 7-03-07
        Fernco spot repair patches
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

As Cuda said, there are many different types of lateral lining systems available now days and each is different in it's own way. After having worked with several of these systems first hand i can tell you that LMK offers the best technology for lateral lining hands down. Pull in place is garbage, two step inversion is a PITA and we shouldnt even discuss the garage made crap they sell on ebay!

The company Cuda referred to as "the biggest name in town" is nothing but a really good marketing firm with no real resources of their own. Take a look at their products and you will see that they have chosen to imitate many of the other manufactures products in their own name and market them well. They are constantly battling lawsuits for infringement only to change something slightly to get by, all while having made a boat load of money for a product that someone else devised. We had more failures with their product than i care to remember! Now, we are far more capable and have a true technology company on our side.

If a liner is installed correctly in a host pipe that was a good candidate for the lining process, there should never really be a reason to scope it. I have however seen relined pipe after others have installed it and it looks terrible! Mostly pull in place type systems. Roots should not really be able to penetrate it if it is saturated properly to start with.
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

the liners i've seen issue with are the older slip liners. not the cipp/ cured in place pipe.

the pvc slip liners don't actually glue to the host pipe. they are slipped into the line and are basically free floating. biggest issue is the roots they are trying to prevent are now free to run wild in the space between the host pipe/ original sewer and the liner. they then pop out into the sewer at the saddle cut outs.

the video alex posted looks like a slip liner.

the other issues i've seen are the fly by nigh companies that are doing lining on pipe that is not a candidate for lining. offsets too large and roots not properly cut out. it's like a dr. casting a broken leg without setting the bone in the proper alignment.

when properly prepped and properly installed. they should have a line that is fool proof.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Around me guys will line or burst anything, the canidate for lining or bursting doesn't seem to apply. I have one client and his neighbor right now that are fighting over me bursting the line and the neighbor wants it lined to save money. It is a shared line. It has major offsets and the liner guy told them "it turns those into ramps like handicap ramps on the sidewalk" And I believe it does as I have video from past liner jobs. But at a certain point I believe a new burst line would be better than lining a bad sewer. The only thing that makes me wonder on sewer burst jobs is a line having bellies in it. We still dig up lines with bad bellies even though my competion says just enlarge the pipe to the next size. I have no problem making a 4" line into a 6" line but sometimes it's hard to make that determination.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

cuda, we all know a pipe burst job is a much better finished product than a liner job. the liner is only as good as the host pipe and the installer prepping properly.

with the pipe burst, the line is brand new and a slick interior that will hold up to a sledge hammer hitting it all day long.

i wouldn't be overly concerned with a slight dip or belly. i would be more concerned with improper butt fusion and lack of reaming the interior bead.

see to many lined jobs that should have never been lined. it should have been pipe burst instead or just properly cleaned.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X