X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard As A rOck..............

There are many homes in my area where a 1 1/2" or 2" kitchen sink line will come down on the backside of a house and turn into 4" cast a few feet about the basement floor and then run under the floor and eventually tie into the main cleanout up front.

Several of these jobs have been a real PITA to completely open back up to 4" again, some I couldn't get fully open.

Had one today where I had to start out with a 2" half cutter and work up. I worked at it nearly 2 hours and barely opened it up to 3".

There is a dark colored "cement" / "rock like" buildup in these lines.

I actually broke one of my C cutters in half today trying to open it up.

What are you guys doing/using on such lines ??? What is this stuff composed of ? Fossilized food ???

Re: Hard As A rOck..............

A jack hammer ...Seriously I'm not gonna bust on you about your choice of machines , cables , cutters etc.Sometimes you just gotta tear it out and repipe ..In my opinion even with the best machines , jetters etc. you are still on borrowed time .50 , 60 years old cast iron pipes don't get a whole lot cleaner seems like no matter what you try ..sometimes
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Is this where the chain knocker comes in handy?

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        I'm not gonna bust on you about your choice of machines , cables , cutters etc.

That's just not you being you

Having a bad day ??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Is this where the chain knocker comes in handy?

Don't know but like I said I had to work to get a 2" half blade through the 4" cast line. As soon as a toilet fed line ties in it's all good. Seems like the debris from the kitchen sink isn't making it out fast enough and fossilizing ???

Comment

kitchen sinks in cast iron or gal steel is nasty scale.

a snake is a grinding experience. while a jetter with the proper nozzle and pressure and flow will get under the scale and lift it off in sheets.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Ricks right the jetter would be best because if you used a snake with a chain knocker and the pipe was thin and you made a hole they would think you did it, "We never had a problem till you........"
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                That's just not you being you

Having a bad day ??????????
                Must have been but I'm back now..I have a chain knocker for the 5/8" and tried to see what it would to to a 2" piece of no hub..Basically nothing..I don't have one for the 7/8" cables..yet..I know they def. make one for the 1 1/4" cables and I hear it will get busy...Don't have jetter but I imagine on thin or deteriorated pipe that could blow some stuff apart too..If it's a kitchen line it's grease ..That stuff will harden like stone

Let us know what you did to get things flowing ..
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X