Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer drain camera shopping question

Hi

I work with a septic contractor and am shopping for a sewer / drain camera. We are trying to add this service with drain cleaning. Currently, we use a rigid k 400 and K750 drum machine but are just shooting in the dark.

I have never used one and can not find a rental in Wilmington, DE. Most companies I have called are asking about $125 an hour for the camera and operator and a $50 to 80 for a service call.

I am hoping someone can give me the pros and cons on their cameras, what to look for in a camera, and if there are any used ones for sale. I do not need to record images, the longest run would be 100-ft.

Thanks,

karl

Re: sewer drain camera shopping question

Get color. And get a camera that suits your needs. Do you need to record? What size/type of pipes will you be inspecting? I do mostly residential under 100' in cast iron and clay 4" lines. I have a spartan. it has been great, but there are other cameras just as good. A good camera system is not cheap, but I find it is worth having. Every sewer I clean i offer a camera job at a discounted price to show the homeowner what the problem is. I record this to DVD for them to keep. Then give them options on how to remedy the problem. Informing the customer and giving them options 80% of the time leads to more work, and 100% of the time leads to a better relationship of trust.

Comment

I have owned several unit so far. I like the Seesnake, and RS technical. But stay away from intruder elite. The push cable is chit and the camera heads are very week
      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

I do not think I need to record. Pipes vary from 1 1/2 to 4 inch pvc, cast, clay, basically anything they had lying around to attach a house to a cesspool or tank.

Comment

Give Allan J Coleman a call. They ship all over the US, talk to Kirk or Marvin. I know they had some used and new Ridgid Compacts for sale which it sounds like it will fit your needs.. But they will help you get the best camera for your needs at one of the best prices.

Allan J Coleman
          5725 North Ravenswood Avenue
          Chicago, IL 60660-3913
          (773) 728-2400
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Give Allan J Coleman a call. They ship all over the US, talk to Kirk or Marvin. I know they had some used and new Ridgid Compacts for sale which it sounds like it will fit your needs.. But they will help you get the best camera for your needs at one of the best prices.

Allan J Coleman
            5725 North Ravenswood Avenue
            Chicago, IL 60660-3913
            (773) 728-2400
            Used camera's huh? Do they refurbish them for re-sale? This might be something for us to take a long look for our first camera.

Comment

Not sure and the only used ones are the Compacts. They do service and repair SeeSnake systems along with many other brands. Best call over there and talk to Kirk.

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Used camera's huh? Do they refurbish them for re-sale? This might be something for us to take a long look for our first camera.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

My company purchased a camera made by InSight Vision .. We purchased the VuTek SL200...It is color ..self leveling..counter..Thumb drive recorder.Zoom.. .Text and Microphone for audio..great picture... We use it for mostly residental sewer lateral inspection work...Great service after the sale as well...Very reliable too... There are alot of great cameras out there now..Stay away from the cheapo brands...A good camera system is going to cost you some money but, it will make you alot more....I suggest that you start researching to see what fits your needs. Im always concerned about spending so I am cautious but I have already paid off 75% of the cost of our camera system in only 4 months..In other words the camera has generated 75% of the purchase price in camera work and additional services sold as a result of using the camera.. So the main point is that the camera system makes you money...I didnt spend money on a camera..I invested in my business... So far that investment is paying dividends and I expect that to continue... When you can show a customer the problem with the camera and offer a remedy it leads to additional sales and higher customer satisfaction and takes your company to another..higher level... .Good Luck, Tom at magic Touch sewr and drain Cleaning LLC.

Comment

Oh one thing I failed to mention in the above post... When you buy a Camera System you should always (IMO) purchase a Locator... In my case, I purchased the Ridgid Scout.... So no mater what Camera System you buy I suggest you get a Ridgid Scout to go along with it..The Scout is the best there is for sewer work.....Period. Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X