X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for clearing cement/concrete blocked drain

We encounter a 4" drain blocked by brick at position 10 ft away from the drain hole. We just bought a ridgid K-60, please advise if this machine can help? What kind of cutter should I use to break the brick and ultimately clear the brick from the drain?

Re: Advice needed for clearing cement/concrete blocked drain

I've had success vacuuming out large 3" landscaping stones with a powerful shop vac out of a 4" line. These stones were oval and smooth and I'm sure that helped. I would advise against attempting to "break" any brick, stone or concrete in a drain with a K 60. Most likely, the only thing breaking will be your cable and attachments. Good luck.
    Last edited by BlackPenny; 06-15-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

too bad you didn't ask last week. i had a rookie plumber in malaysia who could have assisted you.

your best bet to to try and suck it back towards the opening. a jetter should be able to sneak past it and suck it towards the opening. then as easy as it fell in, it should be able to pulled out.

k-60 is a great machine, but a brick is a challenge for even a k-1500 or jetter.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I extracting big landscaping stones out of a building trap before through the lawn vent. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do drain wise.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          too bad you didn't ask last week. i had a rookie plumber in malaysia who could have assisted you.

your best bet to to try and suck it back towards the opening. a jetter should be able to sneak past it and suck it towards the opening. then as easy as it fell in, it should be able to pulled out.

k-60 is a great machine, but a brick is a challenge for even a k-1500 or jetter.

rick.
          Thank you Rick for your advise. You really rock, do let me know if you ever have chance to travel to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia or Singapore. We owe you a drink :-)
          Right now it is really have to try my luck because the drain have been blocked almost 95%, the water still can pass through it but at very slow rate.

Comment

my buddy steve will be back in a couple months, maybe i'll join him for the root beer.

make sure if you use a jetter, use one with a 3/8'' minimum and all rear jets. the object is to sneak the nozzle with the hose past the brick, then use the water flow and pressure to blow the brick back.

what size pipe and how deep?

how did it fall/ get in there?

is digging an option?

do you have a camera to assist in the placement of the jetting nozzle?

do you need me to come there with my toys

is it hot and humid right now

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick,
              The drain size is 4" and the brick is stuck at distance about 10 ft from the drain hole.
              We were called by owner after few other plumbers failed to get the brick out from the drain hole. So we have no idea how the brick can get in there. Digging is not an option because it will be very major job and costly. We do have camera it is too short to reach the place.

You are always welcome to visit our country for root beer at my cost without bringing your toys. We can bring you around for city tour.

By the way, have you ever try using carbide tip of rothenberger to break the brick before? Does it works?

Comment

problem with the carbide tipped tools on this stoppage is the brick is a solid mass. it will move down stream until it gets lodged in a bend and then you're in bigger trouble. the carbide tool is better for some cement that was poured in. where it's not moving.

try the jetter and if you can get a pumper truck to help suck, you might just get lucky.

what camera do you have that can't reach 10' away?

even a camera with a long wire hook might just sneak past the brick and drag it back to within reach.

camera is a must for this kind of work.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick, thanks for your advise. It is definitely worth more than two cents. :-)

Because Ridgid camera is quitely costly to us in Malaysia. So I bought a more economic camera made in China which is only 3 ft long at time we started the business. We will invest a Ridgid camera sooner.

Comment

do you have flat electricians fish tape (a flat sewer cable would work, also) or can you get one? i've used the 1/4". if so either heat cable bend end to 90 degree elbow or cut it off then heat and bend. push it in gently try to bump it around brick. turn hook so it is behind brick. then gently pull brick back. if it stops lightly jar it with tape. patience is a virtue, here. have fun. breid....................

Comment

Tape measure or something stiffer like Breid said ..Fish tape..
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X