X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore Well Intake Flushing

Hi from Canada. I have a shore well system on Lake Huron supplying my home. This has a 10' deep well using 36" tiles and uses a 4" intake pipeline that goes 325' from the well to the lake. This pipeline is meant to keep the water level in the well the same as the lake. The well is about 100' from the water's edge so there is 225' in the lake. The pipeline is buried deeply in a trench made by a large excavator and is partly buried in the lake bottom so that only the last 100' can actually be seen on the bottom. At the end of the pipeline I've used a gabian basket filled with rocks to anchor it securely from the surge that the prevailing SW winds routinely kick up and to keep the end of the pipeline off the bottom.
    This system has worked very well since installation in 2003 but this spring 2011, we noticed that the well was unprecendently able to be drawn down 1-1/2 feet
    below the lake level during our lawn irrigation cycles. The well slowly recovers overnight, so obviously we have a partial blockage of some kind happening. I'm looking for solutions to cleaning out the line and would appreciate any input, especially from anyone who has successfully flushed out a similar pipe.
    Our shore is shallow and there is a mixture of stones and sand. We also have zebra mussels in profusion on the rocks and although they may end up being the culprit, at this point from the crude inspection I've done I really don't think so. Most likely I've got a build up of sand, so I'm considering mechanical rodding or water jetting solutions but figure the expense would be high. I'd prefer to flush the line myself with water pressure or maybe even air, although I'm concerned about rupturing the heavy plastic pipeline.
    Sorry for being so long-winded but thanks for your time!

Re: Shore Well Intake Flushing

This is an interesting one.

How deep is the pipe at the waters edge during winter months?

I would suspect the mussels. do you have anything covering the pipe at the inlet (screen anything)?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i think i understand your installation.

with sand, gravel. jetting would be your best answer. a high flow, high pressure jetter. not a little toy.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

do you have any kind of treatment system in place? I'm not sure i'd want to drink anything that one of my sewer machines or jetters had been in.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

very simple. jet with a new hose. or a hose that's never been exposed to sewage.

plus it's lake water and i doubt it's 100% potable water. especially in an in ground well with tile.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X