1/4" Cable.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1/4" Cable.......

I use a 1/4 x 50 in my small machine ,it gets more use than any machine I own ,saves me alot of trips to the roof .Mine come from drain-cables direct. http://www.gorlitz.com/pc_combined_r...5F4E86B8FE7542
    Last edited by laidback; 07-28-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

the general IC 1/4" has the "flexcore" wire innercore, which makes it stiffer than a 5/16" Ridgid IC cable. I find that the combination of smaller cable and slightly stiffer yet still flexible does the trick. also does not kink as easy as the ridgid 1/4" ic cable

Comment

Electric Eel or General has the best 1/4" cable. I don't use the Super-Vee or hand crank auger as much anymore though since I got the Model N. Finding it's 5/8" IC sectional cable will do pretty much any drain under 3".
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Here is some clarification on the RIDGID cable offerings:
          There are 3 different wire sizes of 1/4" cable:
          1/4" cable used in the Kwik-Spin uses a 0.072" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (not sold as a replacement part)
          1/4" cable used in the Auto-Clean has a 0.080" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (1/4" x 30', cat no 34893)
          1/4" cables as accessories for the K-45 and the K-40 has a 0.092" diameter wire (model no's S-1, S-2, and S-3)
          For the 5/16" cables, there are 2 styles:
          5/16" hollow core uses a 0.080" wire (C-1, C-2, C-21, C-22)
          5/16" inner core cables have a 0.092" wire and inner core of steel wire rope (C-1IC, C-2IC, C-13IC, C-13ICSB, C-23IC)
          Since you said you got the cable from Home Depot, I am guessing it is actually the cable intended for the Auto-Clean (0.080" wire). You can get a 25' S-2 cable (cat no 50652) that is able to transmit more torque to the blockage and is better suited for use with the K-45.

Comment

Originally posted by laidback View Post
            I use a 1/4 x 50 in my small machine ,it gets more use than any machine I own ,saves me alot of trips to the roof .Mine come from drain-cables direct. Drain, Sewer Cleaning Equipment & Machines, Water Jetter, Trenchless Pipe Replacement, Bursting & Video Inspection Equipment by Professional

The two 1/4" x 25' cables I bought from DCD were very stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by bmitch00 View Post
              1/4" cable used in the Kwik-Spin uses a 0.072" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (not sold as a replacement part)
              1/4" cable used in the Auto-Clean has a 0.080" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (1/4" x 30', cat no 34893)
              1/4" cables as accessories for the K-45 and the K-40 has a 0.092" diameter wire (model no's S-1, S-2, and S-3)
              "5/16" hollow core uses a 0.080" wire (C-1, C-2, C-21, C-22)"
              "5/16" inner core cables have a 0.092" wire and inner core of steel wire rope (C-1IC, C-2IC, C-13IC, C-13ICSB, C-23IC)"
              Since you said you got the cable from Home Depot, I am guessing it is actually the cable intended for the Auto-Clean (0.080" wire). You can get a 25' S-2 cable (cat no 50652) that is able to transmit more torque to the blockage and is better suited for use with the K-45.

Why aren't all these cable options listed on the Ridgid web site "options"/"cables" section for the K-45 & K-40 ?

Which of the two cables below is more flexible ?

"1/4" cables as accessories for the K-45 and the K-40 has a 0.092" diameter wire (model no's S-1, S-2, and S-3)"
              "5/16" inner core cables have a 0.092" wire and inner core of steel wire rope (C-1IC, C-2IC, C-13IC, C-13ICSB, C-23IC)"

ThanX for the info

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                The two 1/4" x 25' cables I bought from DCD were very stiff.
                That is my experience with dcd 1/4" as well, though I've been using them for some time with few problems (other than they are annoying to get in and out of my machine (gorlitz) as they are so stiff).
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bmitch00 View Post
                  5/16" hollow core uses a 0.080" wire (C-1, C-2, C-21, C-22)
                  5/16" inner core cables have a 0.092" wire and inner core of steel wire rope (C-1IC, C-2IC, C-13IC, C-13ICSB, C-23IC)

Have any specs on the Ridgid #14013 cable ?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    Have any specs on the Ridgid #14013 cable ?
                    I did not find that number in the ridgid catalog. What is it?

5/16 inner core works good for me.
                    I found one time I could not get through because of rust build up. I went around a 90 which pushes the cable to the edge of the pipe right into a big chuck of rust.
                    Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                      I did not find that number in the ridgid catalog. What is it?

5/16 inner core works good for me.
                      I found one time I could not get through because of rust build up. I went around a 90 which pushes the cable to the edge of the pipe right into a big chuck of rust.

I love the Ridgid 5/16" IC cable but it's not good at tight turns.

Picture seems to show a plastic inner core but listed as hollow.

Ridgid 14013 Replacement Cable for Power Spin

Comment

Name:  aab75670be0c074b9581016a64fa5723.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  233.7 KBName:  0f5e905d562c86fba32b6cb91a82cca5.jpg
Size:  142.6 KB

The Top snake that I use. Not perfect, but does the job most of the time. I don't even have to take the trap apart most times, just spin it through a pop up or pry or drill a basket strainer just enough to get it through.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick V View Post
                          Name:  aab75670be0c074b9581016a64fa5723.jpg
Size:  233.7 KBName:  0f5e905d562c86fba32b6cb91a82cca5.jpg
Size:  142.6 KB

The Top snake that I use. Not perfect, but does the job most of the time. I don't even have to take the trap apart most times, just spin it through a pop up or pry or drill a basket strainer just enough to get it through.

You're related to Bob ?

Comment

ridgid cat no 34893, I think an auto-spin replacement cable, is pretty wimpy.

I bought a s2, cat no 50652 a couple days a go to see if I like it. it seems too stiff, much like dcd, though I've yet to use it.

I use these just for tubs and showers, so when I say wimpy or stiff, I'm referring to using them in tub traps.
                            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

how did the marco cable work for you? what is your favorite these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                                how did the marco cable work for you? what is your favorite these days?

The Marco 1/4" cables were my #1 choice for small lines/tight corners but they are no longer in business so I've been using a Ridgid 5/16" hollow core cable to take it's place.

Not bad but I'm still looking for something a bit more flexible.

Comment

Working...
                                X