X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4" Cable.......

Who in your opinion makes the most flexible yet durable 1/4" cable to get around those PITA steel 90's ?

I recently tried one of those Home Depot hand crank 1/4" cables in my K-45AF and although it does navigate the 90's no problem it's just too flimsy to get past a blockage without flipping/twisting up in the drum.

Do the 1/4" and 5/16" cables have the same diameter wire ? Is the 5/16" actually more flexible than the 1/4" ?

Re: 1/4" Cable.......

Originally posted by TheMaster
    I use the hand spinner because with a lavatory arm or a 1.5 bathtub trap/arm they are only a couple feet long. 99% of the time here a lavatory dumps into the 3" or 4" stack 3' down the wall. I dont need power to clean that. Bathtub is usually 5' long and connects to the same 3 or 4" stack via a left or right hand wisconsin fitting. Again I do not need power to clean such a short drain. It would be easy to ruin a 1/4" cable with a power machine.

Most of my runs are 8' to 15', sometimes longer. Do you think this cable would hold up in my K-45AF ? Do these have a core or are they hollow ?
    Last edited by AssTyme; 07-02-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I have had good luck with the General Wire flexicore 1/4" cables. flexible yet strong.

In a pinch I use the Ridgid cables from HD that you mentioned. You just have to be careful with them. I use them in the K-50, so I have a lot of control over the cable though.

I've never used a marco cable. But General Wire makes some of the best cables across the board

Comment

I just bought ridgid innercore cables for my 5/16" drum adapter..That's pretty much the smallest I need to go..I'll check on the model #'s .1 has the drop head (last one I snapped off in a tub drain), 1 has the bulb auger..C1-IC, C2-IC
        Last edited by OLD1; 07-02-2011, 12:04 PM.
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          I just bought ridgid innercore cables for my 5/16" drum adapter..That's pretty much the smallest I need to go..I'll check on the model #'s .1 has the drop head (last one I snapped off in a tub drain), 1 has the bulb auger..C1-IC, C2-IC

I love the 5/16" Ridgid cables that come standard in the K-45AF's. Very durable and I like the little bulb head but they are just too stiff for some of those 90's.

Comment

Looks like I can get a spinner with the Marco cable for $24.00 delivered. Too bad I can't find just the cable for less as I don't need the spinner.

Amazon.com: Used and New: MARCO - Mini Top Snake (1/4" x 25' cable)

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              I love the 5/16" Ridgid cables that come standard in the K-45AF's. Very durable and I like the little bulb head but they are just too stiff for some of those 90's.
              Gotcha..I have the 3/8" drum adapter and the 5/16" ..I am thinking a 1/4" drum adapter would be a nice addition to the arsenal..problem is I no longer have a k50 just the 60 .I can only imagine what the 60 would do to a 1/4" cable ..I know I am pressing my luck using these on the 60..Ridgid I am still waiting on a drum rated for the 60 here in the US...I dont see that happening any time soon though..

So that being said if I need to go 1/4" I might need a drill setup..

''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I been using General Wire in the K-40...no problems in 1.25" steel 90's yet....but needs a little broke in to do it....
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  I been using General Wire in the K-40...no problems in 1.25" steel 90's yet....but needs a little broke in to do it....

1/4" or 5/16" ?

Comment

1/4" or 5/16" ?

1/4" I have got a 5/16" waiting but still the 1/4" keeps working...
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

i found that the 5/16'' ridgid cable with bulb end is a good combination. the 1/4'' and 5/16'' use the same wire gauge and the 1/4'' is a tighter wind, thus making it stiffer.

the 5/16'' is my k-39 cable of choice. 3/8'' is too heavy. if i need a real cable, i will go to the 5/8'' sectional on the k-50 and clear just about everything.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

1/4"" cable with bulb head from Spartan. Right out of the box I snip the bulb off and put a little bend on the end of the cable. Perfect for 100 year old galvy that has never seen a cable before.

It's bad news when it finds some old lead waste lines in the wall

Comment

I like the General cables and ridgid cables. They both hold up great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                            Marco without a doubt. Buy one and you'll thank me. HD supply has them at a good price. 1/4"x25'

I use it in a marco manual hand spinner. I use it for lav drains typically and some bathtubs. Works great.

here it is,its called the Top snake. 2nd one down in this link. Marco Products

And here she is in all her glory I'm really liking the looks and feel of the 1/4"x25' cable and can't wait to field test it in my K-45AF

Kind of a shame to throw away the spinner (looks well made) but tomorrow's trash day

Comment

And here she is in all her glory I'm really liking the looks and feel of the 1/4"x25' cable and can't wait to field test it in my K-45AF

Kind of a shame to throw away the spinner (looks well made) but tomorrow's trash day

Add a stock,magazine, lengthen the
                              barrel. give it to sons of guns !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X