X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there's a reason mike has diamonds

had a call today from a customer i've only done 2 jobs for. told him i would try to get there today. he calls me back this afternoon and told me he made a big mistake, he had called someone else since he was desperate.

turn out he calls the world famous mike diamond plumbing. comes out there for the $99.00 drain cleaning special.

what's amazing is the guy drags the drum machine out of the truck, never plugs it in and calls his supervisor who shows up with a camera. of course he says his camera can't get past the 2'' kitchen line or the vent from the roof. instead he writes up a $4000.00 estimate. amazing how it comes out to such a perfectly round number. the owners wife calls her husband and explains. he calls me and i tell him to have them take a hike. remember they never plugged in the drain machine.

i show up and walk around. 2'' roof vent, pull toilet or snake from the 2'' c/o outside the kitchen.

grab the k-60 with 7/8'' reverse auger and cleared the line at 25'. continued to 55' and removed small roots. rerun again with same setup and 3'' offset on the auger. all good, everything draining.

now remember the owner has lived there 35 years with no main line stoppage. there is no parkway trees on this street.

if they want to install a 4'' main line cleanout in the future, great. but remember they called for a stoppage. not for a show and tell. they never plugged in their machine. they never got their camera outside the house. but for $4000.00 they would come back and put in a cleanout.

ps. they never passed go and they never got their $99.00

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: there's a reason mike has diamonds

Can you get them to open a franchise here?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Kanga Rooter is using the same tactics as the Mike Diamond. They advertise $99.00 drain cleaning all day long. But when they show up the home owners end up having a whole new sewer installed.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I just came from a job where the guys showed up said no cleanout we have to install one cost is $4500, did the install which was way super easy line was under 2" concrete 1 foot or less down outside in a stairwell, I would have charged $1500. Anyway then proceeded to say the whole sewer was shot and for 20k they could save them from the terrible situation, they had me look at it and I only saw 1 questionable joint that needs replacing didn't even have roots. But their Ad is $99 any sewer cleaned lol.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I mentioned this somewhere on the interwebs once or twice. I had a call where a guy wanted to get another estimate to install a clean out. I show up and the gentleman lets us in his home and leads us towards the two sets of stairs in the foyer area, I started to head to the downstairs thinking he going to show me where the overhead sewer line is, and he no no its upstairs. My partner and I look at each other puzzled, and we follow him up to the master bathroom. He shows us a shower that is plugged. So here come all the questions from us. Is this the only drain backed up? Have you had a back up in the basement or first floor at all? Did you show the other company the problem? The last question he said yes and then proceeded to explain what the other company told him that he needs a proper clean out for them to clear this blockage, and it would only cost him a few thousand to locate the sewer and install one. So we explain the basics of how water seeks the lowest level and since it is his 2nd floor shower that is the only blocked drain, that all that needed to be done is power rod the shower. Which we did and got the line flowing for only a couple hundred bucks. The guy was thrilled, but still worried about not having a proper clean out for the main. So we went in the basement, he did not have an over head sewer was a standard 4" CI stack going out gravity through the basement floor. So there is clean out #1, then at the front of the house near where the water meter is located is another clean out so there is CO #2, then we proceed outside and look around the yard and wow there is a 6" outside clean out that the previous owner had installed. So that is 3 proper clean outs in my book.

The guy that was out before me was one of the Mike Diamond/ Frank Blue devotes.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We have a couple of companies around here that offer $99.00 drain cleanings, and I've always wonder what the catch is.

Comment

The catch is ..Theres always a catch.Bait and switch..Truth of the matter is some people would rather call a larger "more established company" thinking well they have been around forever so they have to know what they are talking about..A lot of times they won't bother with a "small potato" like me unless it's a referral.I don't own any diamonds but I sleep well at night knowing I am honest and try and give my customers an honest deal on work
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

REMEMBER "THE SHINING ? " At 2 A.M. I'd like to stick My smiling ,Bald head through the AX Hole On Mikey's Door .

SAYING " HERE'S JOHNNY"
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Funny how those $99.00 and $49.95 guy's try to make us out as rip-offs when the truth is yes I may get $300 for a sewer cleaning but I'm not selling them a $5,000 new sewer they don't need either. We don't hide our rates or bait and switch. When I'm done the customer has a complete understanding of why their sewer or drain is backing up. We don't excavate if I say the line needs replacing "It Really Needs Replacing" and I pass on the name of a few local excavators who are good and also send us work.
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                    Funny how those $99.00 and $49.95 guy's try to make us out as rip-offs when the truth is yes I may get $300 for a sewer cleaning but I'm not selling them a $5,000 new sewer they don't need either. We don't hide our rates or bait and switch. When I'm done the customer has a complete understanding of why their sewer or drain is backing up. We don't excavate if I say the line needs replacing "It Really Needs Replacing" and I pass on the name of a few local excavators who are good and also send us work.
                    Don't ever apologize for a $300.00 rodding! How Many
                    Suits ,running around, would play in Your Poo for $300 ?
                    Last edited by toolaholic; 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                    X