Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sectional Challenge

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    i guess me being the ambassador for the k-60 you feel that i keep needing to prove myself.

according to my customers and the fact i don't spend 1 penny in advertising, yet have over 1500 customers in my data base that only goes back 11 years, might be proof enough that what i say and what i do is the truth.

i've spent well over 10 thousand dollars in both travel and lost income participating in 2 group get together at the ridgid roundup.

i don't make false promises like others around here.

nothing keeping you from video taping me out here.

you still don't believe the video josh posted from a semi commercial kitchen stoppage. the fact that we came in dinner clothes and never got dirty. never got the cardboard on the floor protecting our dinner clothes from getting dirty or wet. ask ben, bill, adam or josh who were there.

i really think the problem is you've never been shown the proper way to use a sectional. there's a right way and a wrong way. try the right way and you'll be more positive like others have noted in the thanks i get from steering them to a k-60 sectional machine.

or go back to your drum and have fun taking it up and down.

your negative about sectionals and pressing. yet you don't own the k-60 or the ridgid propress. could it be that you're just not happy with ridgid products?

rick.
    Sorry Rick, the Sectional Challenge has been closed. Never shown to be possible. Feel free to start another thread if you'd like showing "spun dry and clean" cables from a sectional on a galvanized sink line indoors.

I will try to read and learn from it.

J.C.

Comment

Effing hate cleaning out kitchen sink drains. Almost always guaranteed to get black crap somewhere. And god forbid you have to spin the cable for any reason coming out.

Just the other day we were cleaning out a roof vent, ran 50ish feet. Pulled teh cable back and it was HORRIBLY gunked up with the black stuff. Ran again, dumped Ksink and washer with it sitting in line, then pulled out again. Still just awful black. Pushed in again, ran the machine for a third time. Dumped washer with machine spinning the cable, then turned on kitchen sink hot side and let machine churn the lines for 10 minutes. STILL CAME OUT BLACK.

the ONLY way you will accomplish a clean cable in that situation is to jetter it then run your cable. Just isn't happening. Cables and water don't scour near enough to come out clean. Just use rags and hope for the best. And lining the cabinet with newspaper is a good idea, or anything for that matter.

And sectionals suck for keeping things clean. Absolutely their biggest weak point.

and at Rick. No amount of experience is going to change the fact that sectionals are a bigger hassle than drum machines. There is absolutely nothing you know about plumbing, with all your years of experience, and lost money at roundups and all that not advertising stuff, that will change the fact that you have to thread a cable into a sectional and clip it onto another cable. And same thing for coming out.

nothing. It is more of a hassle is what every drum guy is saying. Hell I use one 2-3 times a day (k-60) I ain't saying it doesn't do a good job. I, we, are saying it is a HASSLE compared to a drum. Sure there are situations where the 60 is better, roof vents, but there are just the same scenarios where the drum machine absolutely blows the 60 out of the water for plumber friendlyness. Like a cleanout in a back yard. I can unload a drum machine, and be all the way to the clog by the time you can get your first piece fed in on a sectional. But on roofs, there is no way in hell I can get a big drum up there.

Weather or not the 60 is better is highly debateable. And it probably overall is better. But it's much more work on the operator to get the same results. I have yet to see a sewer the drum guy couldn't unstop and had to use, or call in a different plumber to use his, k-60. I have snapped a drums cable before on a line that a guy with a 60 couldn't unstop either. You may see sewers like this, oh roto rooter and their drum couldn't do it so you saved the day with the 60. I have yet to even hear of a sewer a drum guy couldn't unstop that a 60 could. then who is to say the drum guy was doing it right either?
      Last edited by stolen; 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

jc, why don't you post a video of yourself using a sectional machine and i'll give you the pointers what you're doing wrong.

remember i don't need the lessons. it's you that's having a hard time understanding written instructions posted over and over again.

so just go ahead and make your own video for all of us to critique and give you a heads up so you might learn from your mistakes.

go ahead and do the video. it's a learning experience for you.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Man, my eyes hurt. I just read this thread from page one to......WHAT? are you serious, 13 friggin' pages?

I cleared a clogged galvanized line the other day with a blah, blah, blah................

Sink drains just fine now ='s happy customer.
          She paid with a check, and it to has cleared ='s Happy Me.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            jc, why don't you post a video of yourself using a sectional machine and i'll give you the pointers what you're doing wrong.

remember i don't need the lessons. it's you that's having a hard time understanding written instructions posted over and over again.

so just go ahead and make your own video for all of us to critique and give you a heads up so you might learn from your mistakes.

go ahead and do the video. it's a learning experience for you.

rick.
            I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is no need for me too. I know what I'm doing is correct but still won't get the cable back clean. You should know it too.

What magical thing are you going to tell me? Seriously, what wisdom are you going to bestow upon anyone that has done this many times in many situations? Run the cable in faster? Run the cable in slower? Run it forwards? Run it backwards? Use more water...right?

I've already done what you've posted several times and don't get the cable back "spun dry and clean". Others have said the same thing. Been running the cable up to the trap arm, put it all back together, filled the sink up, flush. Do it again with soap. Doing this before I ever read it here. Still coming back black and gunked, just like Stolen and others have stated. But we've all been doing it "wrong" of course. There are several steps we're missing in this intricate production.

Maybe I should setup a mortar tray and some newspaper...right? Why in the f#!# would anyone do that when the cables are gonna' come back "spun clean and dry"? I'll tell you why....and I've tried not to say it, but because in the majority, it is a lie.

In the majority of cases, with metallic lines, no matter what you do, sectional cable comes back black and dripping.

All anyone (You) had to say is that you misspoke and that the cables won't be clean the majority of the time in the scenario I describe. (Lav, Galvy, Inside) Would have been a one page thread....or less.

Why can't you do that instead?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              Man, my eyes hurt. I just read this thread from page one to......WHAT? are you serious, 13 friggin' pages?

I cleared a clogged galvanized line the other day with a blah, blah, blah................

Sink drains just fine now ='s happy customer.
              She paid with a check, and it to has cleared ='s Happy Me.
              Gene, I'm kind of embarrassed I started the thread. Thought it would get cleared up quickly that in most situations cables, whichever type, won't be very clean and dry. And maybe that would help anyone searching equipment make decisions too.

Didn't go that way.

Sorry.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Gene, I'm kind of embarrassed I started the thread. Thought it would get cleared up quickly that in most situations cables, whichever type, won't be very clean and dry. And maybe that would help anyone searching equipment make decisions too.

Didn't go that way.

Sorry.

J.C.
                I have not been participating on the forum a lot lately, but my guess would be, it's been awhile since there has been a good sectional VRs drum debate.

No need to feel embarrassed, I think you, and others, have brought up a lot of valid points that have not been discussed here before, and if you slow down and read every post, this thread actually contains a lot of useful information no matter what side you stand on.

If you ask me it all comes down to whether you're flat rate or T+M.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

BTW...I loved your proclamation "hear ye, hear ye"

I can almost see you in the town square rolling out your tattered Paper "Hear ye, Hear ye by order of the king on this date September the 4th, in the year of our Lord 1706.............."

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    BTW...I loved your proclamation "hear ye, hear ye"

I can almost see you in the town square rolling out your tattered Paper "Hear ye, Hear ye by order of the king on this date September the 4th, in the year of our Lord 1706.............."
                    Oh man, I wish I would have put that in there too! Can't think of all that smart stuff.

J.C.

Comment

Oh man, I wish I would have put that in there too! Can't think of all that smart stuff.

J.C.
                      That's 'cause you're too busy cleaning cables..................Buda......BOOM!

I just flew in from Maine......Boy are my arms tired

Thank_You folks, Thank-You very much, I'll be here all week
                      Last edited by Gene Bickford; 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Bump.

I cleared back to back lavatories today with a 5/8" sectional. Just hand washing lavs with cast iron DWV. Cleared, ran water for a long time, filled one sink on the other side full and let it go. After that, the cables came back gunked and black as coal with the doom juice.

Thanks.

J.C.
                        Man where have I been.I take the end of summer away to get a little work done and this goes on for 14 pages.
                        No hub coupling,wye +1/8 bend,hose adapter on wye,aerator adapter to wye hose adapter.The sectional does not go in unless there is water for the pullback.

Sectional goes back in the tiny useless van so I can address a 4" root infested clay main on my way to finish up roughing the gas in on a re-model.

Comment

JC when you say no setups, do you mean nothing like Dirty is talking about? Where you build up a little rig to run water while snaking? I'll have a video up this weekend of my uncles sink. Maybe I should take a before picture of it.... He thinks it is cast iron, I'll use a 1/4 inch drum machine though, might bring the 60 out too.

I'll even build a little contraption to be able to rinse and snake at the same time!

But even if I do manage to pull it out clean with or without running water, I can guarantee it will be MUCH faster to line the cabinet with something...

Comment

I made a video, but after working with the pipes, I am certain they aren't cast. Sorry JC.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                              I made a video, but after working with the pipes, I am certain they aren't cast. Sorry JC.
                              That's ok. Put it up if you want. Might be something everyone can get something from. No problem if you don't want too though.

J.C.

Comment

Ya, it's a horrible video. First time on camera and, well, I'll make another one in the future on the next customers house I find with real, nasty, cast iron.

Would happily pm it to ya though

Comment

Working...
                                X