Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sectional Challenge

Trying to envision this...

So the drum machine is on the floor with 6 feet of cable hanging out? or is it up on the granite countertop hopefully under a dropcloth?

Where do you put all the fine china that was in the cabinet?

I ask because in all my years of plumbing in this tri-state area I have NEVER EVER seen a cleanout above the kitchen sink. Is this standard practice elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Trying to envision this...

So the drum machine is on the floor with 6 feet of cable hanging out? or is it up on the granite countertop hopefully under a dropcloth?

Where do you put all the fine china that was in the cabinet?

I ask because in all my years of plumbing in this tri-state area I have NEVER EVER seen a cleanout above the kitchen sink. Is this standard practice elsewhere?
      Depending on the distance to the clog I think the machine of choice for this type of access would be a super vee or Ridgid k45
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
        Do this with a sectional. Notice Chico is busy making a video while his machine cleans the drain. lol 59.95

His name is more like Boris than Chico..Sounds Russian
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have nothing against the users of the k-60 and I might would buy one but I'm not goo and gaga over them. Its a powerful machine and its small but its more work IMO is all I'm saying.

One guy here says he uses conduit as sleeving and leaves his cable in it so he can carry it in the house and then string it out. Why worry with that when a drum CAN have way more cable and there is not all that stoppiung to add cable in sections. and then you hafta do all that in reverse. Too much time handling the equipment instead of cleaning the drain IMO.

Don't think it's very powerful at all it does the job with it's RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Don't think it's very powerful at all it does the job with it's RPM.
            I personally don't find the K60 very powerful the more I use it. Now my drill and eel and DM-55 can knock out the toughest clogs. But the K60 is great for winter with all the dam snow banks it also works really good in trailers and the little vacation cabins where space is limited. It has it's place and I'm glad I have it.
            Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Sectional vs. drum, I would like to hear from the sewer tape guys for a change....or the kinectic water ram soldiers
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Since I'm a plumber I have the tendency to install proper cleanouts. I install cleanouts in the vent above the rim of the K-sink. I like my customers to have proper cleanouts.....I like to do things proper. .

The old homes here are all on crawl spaces or have 6/12 or less roof lines. Most are single story as land was plentiful here.

New homes here have 2" and they all have cleanouts above the sink rim either on the outside of the house or in a wall cabinet,walk in attic,etc etc.

Island sinks I use a blow up bag to open the drain then follow with a cable with water running.

Thats whats up. Thats my opinion and its submitted respectfully.

P.S. I dont get what your saying when you say "" (unless the supply lines are 3/8" or worse they are 1/2" o.d copper)""

3/8" o.d suppliy lines are pretty much standard size.....and if your talking about 3/8" i.d copper.........well thats the same as 1/2" o.d. copper.
                In Chicago 1/2" OD copper supply tubes was required by code for many many years. I replaced a faucet today that had 1/2" FIP X 1/2" comp. stops. I used adapters to reduce down to 3/8" comp. as it was a condo and we could not shut down the water to change to stops on short notice. Some big box stores sell "universal stops" that include these adapters (1/2" female comp thread X 3/8" male compression thread).

With most kitchen sinks on outside walls and the vents behind cabinets, I don't find it practical to install cleanouts on kitchen sink lines here as a result. With the cold weather here you will not find any cleanouts on the outside of the building. I have not ever seen a cleanout on the vent stack above the flood rim of a kitchen sink around here. It sounds good in theory but I think that I would have a tough time selling that to my customers. Most have really high end cabinets in their kitchen and are not going to want me rodding from there.

I do sometimes rod from an overhead cleanout at the change of direction in the basement ceiling if it's practical, but that is also rare as most of my customers have finished basements. But most of the time I'm crawling inside the sink cabinet and putting the K-50 right next to the drain opening.
                Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 07-09-2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                  Sectional vs. drum, I would like to hear from the sewer tape guys for a change....or the kinectic water ram soldiers

Haven't used my water ram in awhile. Still working on saving up for my first sewer tape

Comment

a cleanout on a kitchen sink line, would be a DREAM in Pennsylvania.

Comment

So once you feel like you have enough cable in the drain you continue to feed the rest of the cable in a drain until you get to the end or the next section that you can take apart. Then you reassemble the drain with the cable in it and run water. You carry in sections of cable in conduit and then find room to let a 21 piece of conduit stretch out through the house with drop cloths under it.
                      The 3/4" liquid tite is very flexible. I coil it up into a 2' diameter circle and drop it on the tarp right behind me and the machine. You don't necessarily have to have the guide tube stretched all the way out straight for the K-50. The K-60 and K-1500 guide tubes are not as forgiving because they are a lot bigger (1.25" and 1.5" liquid-tite respectively). But if you keep them oiled they stay pretty limber.

With the K-60 I need a bit more clearance behind me (maybe 5' square or stretch it out with a runner dropcloth under it). More for the K-1500. Doesn't take me very long to set it up cause it's all pretty light. I have a buddy that works at an electrical supply house so I get a good deal on the liquid-tite and replace it often (about once every 6 months) so that I don't have to deal with it when it gets all rusty.
                      Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        a cleanout on a kitchen sink line, would be a DREAM in Pennsylvania.
                        Getting a clogged kitchen sink call in Berlin would be a dream Now add a clean out on top of that would be nothing short of a miracle
                        Rod

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Getting a clogged kitchen sink call in Berlin would be a dream Now add a clean out on top of that would be nothing short of a miracle
                          I'm going to take a vacation someday to your town and bring some papertowels with me j/k, seriously I feel for you Rod

Comment

In all seriousness I can't make the video because most of the times on kitchen sinks I use the k-50 drum adapters and never see the cable.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

(pulls up chair and watches thread for the next three days)
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                                (pulls up chair and watches thread for the next three days)

''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X