Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sectional Challenge

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    What's the prize for the video showing clean cable?

Recognition, status, the coveted spot that Plumber Rick holds.

Harness the power, it will be yours.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      what amazes me is the fact that i have well over 1000 photos posted on the forum. then the ones that are stirring the pot have next to none posted.

honestly i'll invite them to come out to my job anytime and watch me work, film me work or help me work. ben and adam have. they were even present while the 1 official video was filmed by josh.

once again the trick with any kitchen sink drain is to clear the line and flush it with water. a plugged drain that isn't flushed will always be a dirty cable. but what's so difficult to place a mortar tray under the drain and catch any slop that gets pulled back. the sectional is even easier as the cables can easily be disconnected and placed into the tray or 5 gallon bucket. the clutch can be used to lightly spin a stuck cable. there is no lightly spinning a drum unless you hand spin it.

now it even gets easier with a drain that is cleared and water running. of course my first choice is always an outside wall clean out. second is a roof and last is removing the trap and going in from the wall with the 5/8'' which is usually 20% of the time.

cabinets are easily cleaned if necessary. carpets are tuff to clean. in 37 years, i've never had to clean a carpet, or floor. spot cleaning a cabinet is not out of the ordinary when you don't use towels, cloths.

unless someone wants to film me working, the best are my still photos.

rick.
      You already sold me on the K-60, and once I sell my K-75a I'll go get one.

You have nothing to prove to me...your photo's and video's speak volumes for the type of expert you are in this field. You would definitely smoke me in drain cleaning, and I'm not a shamed to admit someone is better than me. You and a few others here have inspired me to get more serious about drain cleaning, instead of turning some drain calls away.

Comment

Sorry guys...I had a cast iron sink today...set the K-60 on my ladder 3 foot off the ground in the basement to hit the clean out....I work by myself....I will try sometime soon to maybe kidnap my daughter to go with me and video it....here there a lot of basements or venting for sinks, so roof vents are available....this one today wasn't real sludged up but still minimal mess...I am not gonna say that you won't have some cleaning up to do but I still like using it over the drum, only because its spinning that cable so fast it takes no time to run the cable thru and it seems like it only takes one pass to open the drain with the 5/8" cable.....with the 3/8" cable and the drum it would take another pass or two and would make the same amount of mess to deal with....I can go either way but I like the fact I carry only one machine now....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          Yeah JC give the K-Silly users a break. They need some time to find just the right job for filming

You seem pretty confident for a guy with less than a year and a half of total drain cleaning experience behind you. I think you will find once you get the experience some of these other guys have you may be just as capable as them to do these things. The trick is to be open to new ideas and try to learn everything you can from them.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-12-2011, 07:20 AM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            You seem pretty confident for a guy with less than a year and a half of total drain cleaning experience behind you. I think you will find once you get the experience some of these other guys have you may be just as capable as them to do these things. The trick is to be open to new ideas and try to learn everything you can from them.

Mark

I am confident, still learning but confident. And believe it or not I do appreciate EVERYONES advise here on the forum as I have learned a lot and hope to continue.

Anything wrong with voicing your opinion and having a little fun with it ?
            Last edited by AssTyme; 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Sectional or Drum your cable is going to come back greasy if it's all full of years and years of grease build up. There are ways to help help assets in keeping it clean though. You just have to use your head. On kitchen sinks where there is no clean out(very common in my area), then what I do is keep a large dish pan under the trap arm and then use a fernco with a wye. Then I have the wye rigged up and bushing down to accept a garden hose And have a ball valve on it for quick shut off. I run the water from the hose while I'm rodding the kitchen sink drain. I do this of course after I have got the drain flowing first . Also helps clean the cable as you bring it back. All back wash goes into the dish pan.

What I don't get is why some people here say just because some one uses tricks to help him clear the line better, then his machine sucks. Maybe it's not that his machine sucks, maybe it's because he is more skilled, and has learned to master his equipment. I'd rather have someone clean my line that will go above and beyond, then to have someone come and get in and get out ASAP.
              Last edited by Will Rogers Plumbing; 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Or it could be the guy that has been using his same quipment 40 years is too stubborn to change and some opened minded guy took all he has learned in the past 40 years and compounded it over the years with new tricks, new skills, new knowledge, different equippment and now he smokes that stubborn old timer.....

I hear where your coming from, there are more than one way to skin a cat.
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

Comment

I agree it's not brain surgery(I almost wrote that in my last post lol), but it's not as simple as throwing a cable down the drain and pulling it out. I'm not too worried what the trade schools teach. I went through one, and I have done all my learning of the plumbing field by reading the code books, learning from others, and trail and error, and on the job training. With out creative thinkers we would all be pushing rocks around and carrying sticks.
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

Comment

good job at proving that it takes 3:17 with a 1.25'' sectional to get through the line while the 1/2'' auto feed drum took 5:02 to do the same thing. out of the hundreds of youtube videos, you couldn't find a more realisitic version with actual job footage.

who in their right mind is using a 1/2'' drum with bulb auger to clean a 4'' line with what appers to be rags and roots

maybe you just like the music to calm you down.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Ok how about this for a challenge? Use a 100 foot steel push rod for a year then you won't care what kind of machine you would use sectional or drum
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                        And you just proved you didn't watch the videos and just want to get at sombody.

The 1st video with the sectional is edited because the cable was walking all over the place behind him....AND THE PIPE WAS SHORTER. The drum machine had about double the pipe to snake through,

Good try tho.

Thats whats up.
                        Too funny, what it really proves is the guy does not know how to run a sectional.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Ok how about this for a challenge? Use a 100 foot steel push rod for a year then you won't care what kind of machine you would use sectional or drum

I used to use those, got a scar on my forehead to prove it where it came unwound and nailed me on the forehead as I was loading it in the truck bed. The thing had those round heads on it the size of a tennis ball. Almost knocked me out. Kind of like getting hit by Mike Tyson in his prime.
                          Last edited by Will Rogers Plumbing; 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM.
                          Will Rogers Plumbing
                          Moore, Oklahoma
                          (
                          405) 323-2852

Comment

Too funny, what it really proves is the guy does not know how to run a sectional.

Mark
                            THANK YOU....Guy looked like he saw that cable and machine for the first time....that is a horrible example of running a sectional and I am by no means an expert at it yet.....

Derek

Comment

First off you're assuming someone with a sectional will get a call for a galvanize kitchen by the end of the week and secondly that they will take the time to film it. Perhaps a more realistic request would be within the next few months.

Mark
                              You're right. That seems more reasonable. Just don't accidentally lock the thread.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                                It was never meant to be an example of how to run the machine,clean a drain to me. Look at how the two machines operate. Its obvious to me which machine is the cleaner easier choice.

Watch the two videos and pay attention to what the sectional guy has to do. His cable and machine is seperate. That could be good and bad but 90% for me thats exactly how I want it. My drum machine has wheels so I'm not carrying anything like I would be with a sectional or handling the cable by having to
                                1. remove it from the basket
                                2. feed into the machine and connect it to another section of cable.
                                3. Do the same in reverse to get the cable out of the drain.
                                4. put the cable back into the carrier
                                5 worry about where the azz end of the cable is going to lay.

Thats 5 reasons why I dont like sectional machines.

I dont see how that surprises anyone.

It don't surprise me...I would think that the reasons you give are why somebody would not want to run a sectional...I have no problems with that...

Derek

Comment

Working...
                                X