Will you take payments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you take payments?

Had a call someone was in need and wanted to make small payments as hard is it is. I feel for the guy but I am no longer billing out or taking payments due to everyone I allowed to pay later or make payments have screwed me and not paid!
    Am am a bad person for doing this? maybe. But I have to run my business like a business and not a charity I'm not rich I'm broke like everyone else. I feel bad for not helping there is nothing I can do I have to pay my bills.
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: Will you take payments?

Originally posted by TheMaster
    I typically do not take payments but depending the situation I have been known to do 25% down and the rest over 3 months. The job has to be a "need" and the person has to be an existing customer in good standing who I feel like can and will pay me over the 3 months.

Couple of examples. Call of a high water bill and the customer has a toilet running. We all expect it to be a under 200.00 repair but then I find a leak under the slab and the house neeeds a bypass or a repipe.

Go to clean a sewer that usually runs 150-250 and my cable comes up out of the ground at the curb and the sewer is 8' deep.

I'm not taking payments on a bath remodel or anything like that.
    I have no work history with this person maybe if they were a customer that I know But this person had nothing to put down or a job. So I know I am not going to get paid. Like the others
    Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I wouldn't take payments unless I knew and trusted the person. Bill outs are about 40% of my business so I don't have much choice. In the last year I have a handful of people that haven't paid me in over 120 days

Just part of doing business that you have to deal with some slugs............

Comment

It depends on the situation if we will take payments.

We had a black lady once who's cast iron mains in the basement were all cracked and plugged solid. She came right out and said upfront "May I make payments, as I can't afford to pay the entire bill". She was such a nice lady and she also home schooled her children, and so my fathered agreed. She broke the bill up into 4 payments, and every month there was a check waiting in the mail for us. The fact that she was upfront and honest when we walked in the door, made the decision that much easier for us. We understand that there are many people "up against it" in life, and we try to help those people out as well.

We have never been burned from someone making payments. Now a few stretched it out over a solid year, and that ticked us off a little bit, but we still got our money in the end.

Your gut will tell you if you should do it or not.

Comment

What do You get ,when You didn't get what You wanted ? " EXPERIENCE ! "
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I forgot to mention I would accept a check post dated up to 30 days and he declined
            Rod

Comment

I have done the payment thing..So much up front, then given 3 checks dated out already over the next couple months ..Worked out .He got his job done , I got paid and he appreciated that I worked with him..Sometimes you have to trust people.Other times go with your gut.Remember there are a ton of deadbeats out there..
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

a couple I have taken to court then they don't show up I win the judgement then their nowhere to be found They skip out on the bill plus I'm out $72.50 every time I have to take one to court it's crazy
                Rod

Comment

The sign on the door says: Plumbing & Heating...... not Savings and Loan!

We take credit cards so if your bank won't extend you credit, why should we? Plenty of other good money out there that we don't have to chase down every month.

Comment

I use to take payments on a case by case basis. Most were existing customers and none of them cheated me out of the money.

I had a client who was a stucco contractor. After the 71 earthquake he had a bunch of stucco jobs. From what I was told he would do the work by taking a second mortgage on the homes he was working on. When the payments started coming in he used it to build apartment buildings. We started working for him in 81 and I think he has 2,000 units already. By 1991 he built a $13,000,000 home on the cliffs in Malibu because his wife didn't like the $10,000,000 they just finished in Bel Air. You can't teach that type of success.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i don't take credit cards. i take checks or once in a blue moon cash. at any give time i'm sitting on 20-30 invoices. i never ask for a deposit and rarely ask for a signature. 99% of my work comes from referrals and i trust them.

when you work for hoa's, you typically get paid in 30 days. never on the spot.

my jetter i sold for 50% upfront and 8 monthly payments. last payment due in 10 days 0% interest if paid by the end of the month.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        What do You get ,when You didn't get what You wanted ? " EXPERIENCE ! "
                        " learning is a measurable change is behaviour due to experience"

Comment

Working...
                        X