Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Drain Cable sizing question , can i use 3/4 inch cable in 3 inch drains? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cable sizing question , can i use 3/4 inch cable in 3 inch drains?

Hi,

I have a K-750 with 100-ft of 3/4 cable. Works ok in 4 inch lines. I mostly clean septic leach lines. I have about 3 or 4 jobs coming up with 3 inch lines. Can I use my cable? If not can I connect r style 5/8" line to my 3/4 pigtail? If not how hard is it to just change the pigtail in my drum as opposed to buying a new drum?

Also, I have been looking on ebay and craigslist, but where can I get a decent used drum with a 5/8 pigtail. Also where should I buy cable?

Thanks,

Karl

Re: Drain Cable sizing question , can i use 3/4 inch cable in 3 inch drains?

The only time I have had problems with 3/4" cable was a toilet was my access point and there was a 90 and a santi and the 3/4 cable was to stiff to make the bends. very rare.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

If i got a long 2" line and a cl out , a 3/4 cable is going in it .

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        If i got a long 2" line and a cl out , a 3/4 cable is going in it .
        wow.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I also have a k 750 the manual says to use a trap leader for three inch traps but the smallest ptrap blade is three inch does three inch refer to the size of pipe i assumed that was actual clade to blade measurment would the spade blade work? Ordered a leader just dont want to order more blades if not nessary thanks sean

Comment

I would not try to put 3/4" drum cable through a trap, pretty much any trap, let alone something as small as a 3", with a leader or without. I've broken 1/2" in a 3" trap. 3/4" through a 3" trap I would never try. I'd be using 3/8", or more likely jetting. If it was some crazy thing with maybe an 8" trap, then... maybe. But I'd be looking at other options first.

Are we confusing 3/4 drum with 3/4 sectional cable in this discussion? Because 3/4 drum is a very different animal than 3/4 sectional. I'm assuming drum because 750's are the machine we are talking about. I tend towards smaller equipment than most, but the post earlier about 3/4 in a 2" line... that is just over the top to my thinking if we are talking about close wind drum cable.

OP's post regarding primarily in leach lines; that is usually a pretty straight shot, at least down a center lateral, and I'd expect no problem in a straight shot. I wouldn't be snaking leach lines here though; your area may call for different technique, but here anything I'd run into in a leach line would be better addressed by jetting.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

in the past i would run my 7500 with 3/4'' innercore through 1.5'' and 2'' lines to access the 4'' main if there was no proper cleanout. as long as the smaller line entered the main through a wye/ 45 and not a 90/ 1/4 bend, it would be fine.

of course the cutter was nothing more than a cable cut off with a 45 bend.

with the 7/8'' sectional, i can do the same if the roof vent is not practical, but the cable is much more aggressive with the open wind and reverse wound cable.

i don't see many traps, except shower and laundry 1.5-2'' traps. with those i use the 5/8'' sectional cable.

once did a 2'' trap with 7/8'' sectional

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

seanny deep - - The 3" P-Trap cutter measures 3" across the widest part of the cutter.

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                I also have a k 750 the manual says to use a trap leader for three inch traps but the smallest ptrap blade is three inch does three inch refer to the size of pipe i assumed that was actual clade to blade measurment would the spade blade work? Ordered a leader just dont want to order more blades if not nessary thanks sean

Comment

hi,

thanks for all the help. I will be taking my chances with the 3/4 inner core drum line on my drum machine and hope for the best. I have never seen a jetter machine work. Will probably be the next purchase, once I get caught up and find steady work.

Any pointers on a jet machine?

Comment

Originally posted by kunkle View Post
                    hi,

thanks for all the help. I will be taking my chances with the 3/4 inner core drum line on my drum machine and hope for the best. I have never seen a jetter machine work. Will probably be the next purchase, once I get caught up and find steady work.

Any pointers on a jet machine?
                    Jetters are the cats meow for drainfield work. If you do much of that kind of work you NEED one. You can do it cheap too. Search the forum and you'll find lots of info about building your own.

Good luck!
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

According to the manual you always use one size smaller cutter, i have 5/8 cable i ordered a 2' trap leader would you use the spade bit? I have the standard 5/8 tool set, any help would be appreciated almost all floor drains are 3" emergency floor drains. "they dont require to be protected by a vent if there emergency floor drains" here anyways.
                      Last edited by seanny deep; 08-05-2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X