Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Hate having to borrow tools! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hate having to borrow tools!

    I had a neighbor in an emergency situation the other day. Sewer was backed up, family was coming over, etc. She's a really nice little old lady that I wouldn't dream of charging. She has been incredibly helpful to my family over the years.

    I didn't have my equipment handy, so I went down the street to my buddy's house to borrow one of his machines. I should have known better because he doesn't take the best care of his stuff. Anyway, he had some extremely worn cables and during the job one broke. I could see the broken section, and it wasn't a big deal to retrieve, but now he wants me to replace the broken section with a new one. I offered to replace it with one of my used sections, but he thought I should get him a brand new one because I work for RIDGID and I probably get them cheap. I hate situations like this. If I had just taken the time to get my own gear, nothing would have broken.

    Anybody else have similar experience borrowing tools?

  • #2
    Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

    Originally posted by bmitch00 View Post
    I had a neighbor in an emergency situation the other day. Sewer was backed up, family was coming over, etc. She's a really nice little old lady that I wouldn't dream of charging. She has been incredibly helpful to my family over the years.

    I didn't have my equipment handy, so I went down the street to my buddy's house to borrow one of his machines. I should have known better because he doesn't take the best care of his stuff. Anyway, he had some extremely worn cables and during the job one broke. I could see the broken section, and it wasn't a big deal to retrieve, but now he wants me to replace the broken section with a new one. I offered to replace it with one of my used sections, but he thought I should get him a brand new one because I work for RIDGID and I probably get them cheap. I hate situations like this. If I had just taken the time to get my own gear, nothing would have broken.

    Anybody else have similar experience borrowing tools?
    How much money are we talking about here? The guy doesn't seem reasonable. You dont get full value for an old cable. It was old and he wore it out.....he didn't get any value out of the cable? Sure he did. I'd prolly hand him an old cable as replacement and if he didn't like it just wouldn't have anymore dealings with him at all.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

      that's a difficult one brian. truthfully all that's required is to replace comparable with comparable. not old with new.

      problem is he's a neighbor and for the $60.00 consider it as a rental fee.

      you of all people should have a selection of tools/ machines second to none. isn't the school house packed with toys

      next time keep a mighty k-60 in the back of your car like i do with joeys car

      rick.



      this was before the baby stroller.



      size matters.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

        in many instances it will cost one dearly to borrow, if you are a reputable person, and never borrow some thing that has been loaned out to the neighbor hood, as it will really cost you,

        had a friend who had a log splitter, and he said I could use it if I could find it, and he gave me the name of the last known location, it took about 4 more phone calls to find it, when I finally got the tires air up and move the farm, replenished the oil in the reservoir, if tipped one direction the oil would leak out, the carburetor was wore out, $75 later oil and and time repairing it, I split my wood a few cords, and returned it
        built my own splitter with out wheels, so it would have a very hard time being loaned out,

        my dad borrowed a roto tiller one time from a guy, nice guy just very poor on maintenance, that cost my dad a new engine,

        I would most likely hand him a used cable and call it good, since you have a cable that is like in nature,Sorry your in this mess, (you could offer him the used cable and a $20 for rent and call it good),

        No I do not like to borrow tools or loan them as it seems like I am out the other way was well, as most will return them broken or if they do replace some thing it will be with a lesser quality,

        hope it works out for you and the relation ship is not hurt in the out come,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

          I don't like to borrow or loan tools/equipment either.

          Too many bad experiences that I won't even go into.

          I'll go to a tool rental center before I will borrow from a
          friend or neighbor.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

            I think the guy will be reasonable about it. Initially, he was looking for a hook-up. This evening I'll give him one of my not-too-worn cables and work it out.

            Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I split my wood a few cords, and returned it built my own splitter with out wheels, so it would have a very hard time being loaned out
            I like that idea. I'm planning to build my own splitter this year. That's the main tool I go through the 'borrow or rent' debate about in my head. I built a fireplace grate last year that works really well. A fan blows air into the large pipe on the bottom. It gets heated by the fire and then comes out the top and into the room. Didn't have any pictures of it finished, but here are some of the work in progress.
            Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bmitch00; 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

              the fire place grate looks good,

              we have a cattle working chute that has a pipe under it, and if one Jacks it up you can put transport wheels on it, by sliding in a shaft with the wheel on it and pining it, but if one does not keep the wheel next to the splitter, you neighbor/friends most likely will not know it is "transportable" unless you show them or tell them.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

                I do not loan real machines (except to other pros). I purchased a new in the box K39 for my loaner machine. When someone wants to borrow a machine I hand it to them. If they tell me the last guy bent the cable I tell them where to buy a new cable.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

                  Originally posted by bmitch00 View Post
                  I had a neighbor in an emergency situation the other day. Sewer was backed up, family was coming over, etc. She's a really nice little old lady that I wouldn't dream of charging. She has been incredibly helpful to my family over the years.

                  I didn't have my equipment handy, so I went down the street to my buddy's house to borrow one of his machines. I should have known better because he doesn't take the best care of his stuff. Anyway, he had some extremely worn cables and during the job one broke. I could see the broken section, and it wasn't a big deal to retrieve, but now he wants me to replace the broken section with a new one. I offered to replace it with one of my used sections, but he thought I should get him a brand new one because I work for RIDGID and I probably get them cheap. I hate situations like this. If I had just taken the time to get my own gear, nothing would have broken.

                  Anybody else have similar experience borrowing tools?
                  I would say "Dude I was born at night but not last night" And then a couple 'Really? a new cable?"
                  And if that didn't work I would throw him a new cable and never deal with him again.
                  Seattle Drain Service

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

                    I'd replace the cable even though it was worn out ,in his eyes it was fine... Call it a loss and move on..plus so close to home not worth the trouble.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

                      He's just trying to take advantage of you and your position, do what you need to to make him happy, but understand what kind of person that makes him and write him off.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

                        I have lotso tools and equept. I will stop lending. Screwed up genie lift, lifts 650 lbs about 23 ft.high, doesn't work as smooth.
                        Roto hammer,old one cooked! 60 lb bosh demo hammer $800 in repairs. That's it !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hate having to borrow tools!

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          that's a difficult one brian. truthfully all that's required is to replace comparable with comparable. not old with new.

                          problem is he's a neighbor and for the $60.00 consider it as a rental fee.

                          you of all people should have a selection of tools/ machines second to none. isn't the school house packed with toys

                          next time keep a mighty k-60 in the back of your car like i do with joeys car

                          rick.



                          this was before the baby stroller.



                          size matters.
                          That's a nice truck in the background there Rick! is that yours?
                          I"m lusting after a Reading Aluminum 10' service van or Spartan/Supreme 10' service van.

                          I used to ride around with a K-50 in the back of my Mazda hatchback. It stank. Even when I brought the cables back spun dry and clean

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X