Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k7500:removing guide tube and inner drum

Hi folks,

I kinked my 5/8 cable at 85feet in and couldnt get the guide tube to slide off after taking of the front knurled nut. Is there a method to take the guide tube off?

I have an extra 25feet by 5/8 cable. Do you think it would be too squishy to put all 5/8 by 125 into the drum or would you carry it separately?

Thanks, you guys are the best!

Re: k7500:removing guide tube and inner drum

I take a crow bar and pry a little bit at a time all around the red inner plastic drum and it will come off....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

After removing the nut put the machine on its back and take a crow bar under the arm and bang it up a few times we get them off every time marvin

Comment

The cable originally kinked inside or outside the drum ?

Comment

Thanks for the fantastic help. I just went to my van and use the hook of my crow bar(towel protected) and tapped about 5 times and off came the guide tube. You knew it exactly. I must have been wiggling that guide tube for 1.5 hours and it didnt even budge. I went as far as dragging the loose 85 feet back into my van and fixing it in my garage. I wish i knew on site how to fix it so now i am heading back to finish the job next week. Oh well, gotta charge them more now.

The kink occurred in the drum. I wasnt careful enough while feeding. Is it safe to bend it back straight with pliers or would you recommend replacing that cable? It came out pretty straight with pliers though. Would it be too tight for me to add my extra 25feetby 5/8 onto the existing 100footer making it 125 feet

Comment

depending on how open the kink winds are will determine your success. i found that using 2- 3/4'' x 6'' nipples will allow you to grip and straighten the cable without nicking it. slide them onto the cable and use your hands for gripping and straightening.

125' of 5/8'' is fine with the 7500. just remember the extra weight. and unless you need the 25' more often than not, it's simple to add to the 100' if needed.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. I would have never thought about using 3/4 nipples to straighten on the job site. I will follow your advice about keeping the 25 footer separately as the unit is pretty heavy already.

Comment

Working...
              X