X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kinked 5/8 cable any suggestions?

Used my k750 for the third time new homeowner called went out 60 ft no problems went out 70ft no problems "straight auger" pulled toilet couldnt find a clean out in basement. "found maindrainu clean out going thru 6ft off basement floor. "should have been my first clue" anyways put 3" cutter in toilet line was 4" went out 75' heard horrible rock and metal noise stopped auto feed stopped drum, drum beggins spinning backwards and horrible noise echos thru pipe. Tried hand retrjieving no luck, tried putting in reverse wand pulling no luck put machine in forward and tried auto retrieve well pulling no luck. Turn on walk outside can feel vibration in ground 65' past basement door, get metal detector follow line pin point end of cable begin digging. Much to my dismay and the new homeowners to find 45 gallon drum full of rock with. My cable tied in a not. Explains why they didnt know where that tank was... Any ways retrieve my new but kinked cable tell the to call septic installer... Any advise i read a previous thread where i believe rick advised the use of a 3/4 nipple tried that some luck but still pretty kinked at 1o' and at 80' or so "from drum spinning backwards" anyways new at this drain cleaning kinda ruined my day any advise would be great thanks sean.

Re: kinked 5/8 cable any suggestions?

sean, sorry to hear that. sounds like the line and drum was the defect and you were the the unlucky one to get the call.

i don't like cable splices. others have no issue with them.

i would buy a new 3/4'' cable and use the 5/8'' as a backup. but i would cut out the bad stuff and add a male and female connector. i think i would turn the 10' into a leader, and that gives you 70' of clean cable. then a 20' end cable. others would just add a splice to it.

can you recoup some cost from the owner of this job?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

In retrospect i should have asked him to atleast pay for the splice but i didnt i however did line up a few future jobs thru him "fixing the horrible drainage and venting in his new house" also hes allready refered me to his neighbour who just broke ground on his new house. However he called me at noon i was there at one and didnt get out of there till almost seven so i made a bit of money, "besides kinking my cable" beeing new at this i have a hard time charging when things go wrong, also im to sympethetic. I felt bad for this newly retired couuple that spent 350000$ to have problems like this...anyways i dont like the idea of splices once I get my k 60 my 750 will more or less. Be for big pipe and a back up.. thanks for the advise its my birthday on Thursday maybe my k60 will show up that be great. Thanks again sean

Comment

i have spliced several times and never had one break . it has been out of desperation not first choice. the k60 is my new favorite .

Comment

Sorry about the bad luck. My cables are always spliced with no trouble. Sorry to say this but I say it is your fault. You will learn when to expect septics. I don't care what the home owner says about city sewer hook ups. Then always remember to dig the tank up and check the tank level 1st. If you don't one day you will remove an over head clean out and get about 80 gallons or more of sewage comeing back at you.

Comment

I new their was a septic theres only three streets here on sewer i have got a detailed map.of what houses are on it as well. But alot of these houses have two or more systems. I new exactly where the septic tank was for the clean out above the basement floor "cause the homowner had just got it pumped as far as the basement goes..... No one new i do take some responsibility for my cable cause i was running the machine but. Does anyone expect to find a bathroom and laundry going into a 45 gallon drum full of boulders with a plastic lid with a 5" hole cut in it and spray foamed shut with no outlet just the bottom cut out of the barrel.. i know they exist but in a 30 year old subtavision just unexpected... I see alot of stupid shiit but the one thing i know is you just dont know...

Just reread previous comments maybe my explanation was a lil vague downstairs basement went to oil drum full of rock, upstairs went to registered private septic tank and field"just been pumped" no cleanout for basement had to pull toilet 4" abs to illegal 4" thinwall pvc ran into problem when cab le went into oil drum 65' out. From basement door... Thnks for replies. Sean
            Last edited by seanny deep; 08-25-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Ya thats all pretty tuff to figure out. I have a bunch of kinked cables from my learning curve and I still kink them. Look at the bright side you didn't get tangled up in a lift station.
              Last edited by saysflushable; 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

It may help to NEVER feed the line in with anything but your hands. Use the auto feeder to retrieve only. Much about cleaning sewers has to do with "feel".
                Also don't try to clean with the autofeeder, as that is not what it is for. It will only cause you much grief.

Oh and I kinked a cable yesterday. Was trying to get past what we thought was a pressure 90. Turned out to be a shampoo cap that how in the hell it kinked my cable I don't know.
                Last edited by stolen; 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                  It may help to NEVER feed the line in with anything but your hands. Use the auto feeder to retrieve only. Much about cleaning sewers has to do with "feel".
                  Also don't try to clean with the autofeeder, as that is not what it is for. It will only cause you much grief.

I agree with feeding by hand to know if you go in a tank. but dang ain't know way I'm hand feeding or retrieving or clearing a blockage with anything but the auto feed. Actually I think the auto feed is the safest way to clear a blockage. If the cable flipps it won't strip out of the drum. Or I'm just lazy and want the machine to do the work.

Comment

Im teaching my self this drain cleaning bussisness besides the instructions and very, very helpful hints i find on this forum, but so far ive used auto feed till i hit the obstruction, then manully working its way thru and back till it is no more retrieving with auto feed, and repeating steps till water is gone and iv retrieved what ever the problem was... Today at the hospital it was about 150 hospital grade papertowels an. Old lady had flushed one at a time on a double t connected dual toilet "what a pain in the ***" put my 2' trap leader and drop head auger and away i went one or two paper towels at a time...

Comment

Working...
                    X