Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetter

@ cuda,

what does it mean: the right Tip ? I do not understand the word Tip, did it means the rifht nozzle ?

@ Rick,

Have you got some video or somebody showing how a nozzle is cutting roots.

Here in Europe the only nozzle you could by is a nozzle with chains at the front, the chains are rottating and cutting the roots, but it is too dificult, you have to change che chains to the diameter of the pipe, it do not path banges,etc.

So I would like to see a video how the rootranger works, I can not imagine how the water pressure cut the roots.

Thank you

Comment

Comment

Wow the root ranger is nothing like I expected it to be after reading some posts. That thing with a backwards pointing spray will actually get through root clogs? I woulda thought there was some jet on the front that sliced through roots.

Comment

Rick you said the "proper jetter", can you clarify for those of us who don't understand?

The reason I ask is, I've read elsewhere on the internet that Cart jetter's are a waste of money, and to basically get a trailer jetter. Some who wish to get into jetting are going to have a hard time shelling out $30,000 for a trailer.

Some of us here only go up to 4" pipe and don't see anything bigger, and IMO I think a cart jetter should be fine for that. Then there is the GPM and PSI questions that follow.

There are so many opinions here and all over the internet on this subject, and it can be quite confusing and frustrating for new guys trying to get started.

Comment

sizing a jetter is similar to sizing a drain machine/ snake.

if all you're doing is 4'' and smaller, then a 4-6 gpm machine would be adequate. roots can easily be cut at 3000psi. as the volume goes up, the speed of cleaning and flushing ability gets better. higher pressure is good for de-scaling of cast pipe. higer volume is good for flushing. volume cost more money than pressure does.

i still operate a 5.5 gpm at 3500# 18hp cart jetter. it's pretty portable and can be hoisted into my van.

a trailer is a much much bigger investment and unless you're doing a lot of jetting/ root cutting and remote jetting with no water source, a cart is perfect choice.

hoses and nozzles make all the difference. you could have the biggest strongest jetter out there, but without the proper nozzle, it's not going to cut or pull and without the proper hoses, especially in smaller pipe, it's not going to pull or make it around a bend.

you could go out and invest in some hose and some nozzles and rent a commercial pressure washer. the difference is they are lacking a pulsation valve. those come in handy to create a jumping affect of the hose to allow it to make tight turns and longer runs. it basically breaks up the tension / friction of the hose and piping. even on my trailer i use the "jump jet" / pulsator when needed.

i would stay away from an electric machine unless all you do is 2'' and smaller indoors.

13-18 hp gas jetters should do everything you currently work on. then when you have the market and money, a bigger trailer will bring in the bigger jobs and bigger pay.

i've been jetting for close to 20 years and have owned a trailer jetter for 7.5 years. so it didn't happen overnight.

get your feet wet first, before you jump in head over heals

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick or anyone else, what do you think of these specs on a cart jeter that has this...

8.5 GPM @ 4000psi

12 gallon holding tank

Honda 24HP engine

Would this be more than adequate for someone who sees 4" and smaller?

I'm closing in on 40, and I want to get out of doing additions and major rehabs as I get older. Eventually I'll be down to a 1 man shop, and spending too much time on 1 job isn't ideal for me at all. Slowly but surely I'm taking more drain calls, as I want to focus my attention on that and service, when it comes to the Plumbing side of things. I don't want to make a buying mistake because it would hurt a small company like ours.

Comment

flux, that's a monster of a jetter and not as portable as you think.

for 4'' pipe that's twice as big as you need.

now if you're talking 4''-8'' then fine.

it defiantly would not be my first choice. they make trailers with those specs.

if it's not portable enough to get on and off the truck. you won't use it.

the ridgid kj- 3100 has a nice set of specs. it replaced the kj-3000. this was brought up at both roundups and then some

portable and plenty of power for what you need. KJ-3100 Water Jetter - RIDGID Professional Tools

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  flux, that's a monster of a jetter and not as portable as you think.

for 4'' pipe that's twice as big as you need.

now if you're talking 4''-8'' then fine.

it defiantly would not be my first choice. they make trailers with those specs.

if it's not portable enough to get on and off the truck. you won't use it.

the ridgid kj- 3100 has a nice set of specs. it replaced the kj-3000. this was brought up at both roundups and then some

portable and plenty of power for what you need. KJ-3100 Water Jetter - RIDGID Professional Tools

rick.
                  I thought you said before that it's better to get something bigger PSI wise so you can throttle it down, since you can't do vice-versa? So say for example, that someone bought this jetter, could it not be used on 4" and below if it was throttled down? Also, would a holding tank be "over-kill" then?

I already have something in mind to combat putting a cart jetter inside any truck, including my cut-away van, as it's rated up to 500lbs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

true, but you said you're pipe size is 4'' and smaller.

that's like buying a ferrari and never getting onto the freeway with it.

i would start off with something smaller and more portable that doesn't require a hitch hauler.

in the old days i would use a hitch hauler for my k750 until it got stolen from the hauler when i ran in to check messages.

4'' doesn't require a beast. you need a k60 size machine not a 1500 monster.

rethink your needs as a monster machine is more to haul than an adequate machine for 4''.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

So the specs of the kj-3100 is the neighborhood I want to be in, as it's more than enough for my needs?

Comment

@Rick,

Could you give me a small lason of hoses ? and also of nozzles.

I have got 3/8 Hose and also a 1/4 Hose and aldo a 1/8 hose for sinks.

All my hoses have 2 nozzles standard and standard with front hole.

Please explain me what you have said with the right hose and also which nozzles you recomend to by especialy for roots.

Thank you

Comment

proper hoses are important because if they can't get down the line and to the stoppage, your jetter is useless.

straight runs/ manhole to manhole doesn't require a hose with much flexibility or bend radius. but if you're doing work that has cleanouts and fittings/ bends, you need a hose that is slick and doesn't stick in the pipe. also a hose that is flexible enough to make the bends. of course the smaller hoses are more flexible, but you sacrifice pressure loss and water volume with smaller hoses.

nozzles are very important in the cleaning process. all rear jets have a better pull than the same nozzle with a front jet. but a front jet will cut through a stoppage that all rear might not. also the angle the jets spray will provide the pull and cleaning power. the more angle the better cleaning, but less pull.

now when it comes to roots. you need more impact with a larger jet orifice. too many jet openings will take away the impact and cutting power of the water. a single jet is the most powerful nozzle out there. but a single jet will not scour the pipe walls without rotating the nozzle and hose. the ridgid root ranger is a single rear jet that oscillates at about 20 degree fan. so in the 3''/75mm pipe it covers about 100% of the pipe opening without much rotating. keeping the nozzle within 2- 3'' 50-75mm of the pipe walls will be your most power. as the nozzle gets further away, the impact gets less. the root ranger is the best cutter out there. a single jet full volume and pressure that osculates destroys roots and blast grit off the pipe. but it does require rotating the hose in the larger pipes. the front jet is also way undersized to cut through a serious blockage.

a warthog rotating nozzle is a good root cutter and descaler, but they cost more and require maintenance. also the impact from the 2 or more jets is shared. so on a 8gpm machine, 4 or less gallons is going to each jet. the front jet does have better cutting action than the root rangers front jet.

depending on your jetters specs/ gpm's a root ranger will turn a small 4gpm machine into a monster root cutter. if you have a larger machine, they make larger root ranger nozzles. for a warthog to work, you need at least 6gpm. but still side by side, a root ranger is much more aggressive than a warthog and at least 1/2 the price.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

@Rick,

I think you know that i have got a 8 Gpm jetter with max. 3000 psi.

So can I take the ridgid root ranger or did I have to by one some where else specialy done for my machine.

Which kind of hoses are you use in 4" lines with bends ?

Comment

8gpm at 3000 will run a 3/8'' warthog. also a root ranger with a larger turbine will tear up those roots.

as far as i know ridgid only sells the one for 4-5 gpm. check with jetters edge out of australia for one that matches your specs. you'll be amazed at what it can do. also see if they have a couple different front jet sizes to chose from. along with a blank non drilled jet when the line is open.

6 gpm rear and 2 gpm in the front will still pull and cut like crazy.

i would use 3/8'' hose for the 4'' line. 1/2'' is too stiff for some of the bends in 4''. plus 3/8'' can flow 9gpm.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

I think it would be nice to have this thread pinned at the top of the board, cause there is a lot of valuable information in here.

Comment

Working...
                                X