X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter

Now that I am cleaning 2+ sewers a day, I am really cursing my k-60.

I am thinking about personally investing in a jetter. I am just a plumber but am tired of having to use old worn out garbage that was paid for 20 years ago and is "getting it done".

What are the advantages to using a jetter?
    Do they clean better?
    And how powerful are they, are they going to slice through PVC?
    What can they NOT do.
    How effective are they at clearing root stoppages? Will they clear a sewer a cable won't?

I searched a few pages back, and didn't find a real good thread for this information, so any info would be appreciated.

Also what size would you, yall, recommend for basic residential sewers (4 and three and sometimes 2 inch)

Will I be able to go down a vent with a jetter?

Again thanks for the info!

Re: Jetter

Really? Nothing?

Comment

Sorry it's just a lot to write.... we have gone over this alot. Why is a jetter better..... well it actually cleans the pipe not just poke a hole through the obsrtruction.......but you have to learn to use it. Mud, old persons sh** will hug a cable and will not be cleared, the jetter will clear it where a snake won't unless you have hours to waste. Downspouts are a jetters delight as they move dirt and kill roots. Jetters are just another weapon in your portfolio of tools so you don't have to say "You need to call somebody else"
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

litterally hundreds of post and photos on jetting. just start reading some of the old stuff and then ask specific questions.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          litterally hundreds of post and photos on jetting. just start reading some of the old stuff and then ask specific questions.

rick.
          thought my questions were pretty specific. Found a good post that included capacity of pipe.

So if you are working on a line and it starts to fill up the cleanout full, you have to pump it down then correct?

And if I buy a jetter that will go to 5000 psi is there a pressure regulator and a gauge so I can turn it down for pvc and such?

I'm really interested in how WELL it will get through root stoppages. All things being the same, lets say your root stoppage is 6 feet long. Hella roots. But not so big that it is impossible to clear with a cable. Will a jetter clear this stoppage faster and easier than a cable? Cause it's a pain with a cable having to pull the cable out, clean it off, back in, grab some roots, back out blah blah blah.

Comment

My cart jetter 18 hp 5.5gpm @ 3500 psi with a root ranger will blast through a 6ft long root mass in 6" clay pipe in seconds.....with ease...and thats only a cart jetter. if were jetting smaller lines that fill up fast 2" or 3" i will turn down the machine to 2kpsi or 2500psi...so i dont get a flood

We jet sewers about 1-3 times and week.....jetter is providing a much better service than cabling a sewer line, plus its much less labor intense on the operator.

Maybe rick will let you ride around with him and the big boy jetter for a day or so.......he has been know to take other forum members on a jetting demo...
            Last edited by jhplumbing; 08-25-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Yesterday and today we Jetted the rainleaders(downspout lines) clay and concrete both filled with 50 years of mud and sand and roots. Houses both where having wet basement issues. No snake could take that on. Went mellow just used 1 motor at 3000psi 8 GPM with the 3/8 warthog. Completly cleaned out both of them real nice.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                thought my questions were pretty specific. Found a good post that included capacity of pipe.

So if you are working on a line and it starts to fill up the cleanout full, you have to pump it down then correct?

And if I buy a jetter that will go to 5000 psi is there a pressure regulator and a gauge so I can turn it down for pvc and such?

I'm really interested in how WELL it will get through root stoppages. All things being the same, lets say your root stoppage is 6 feet long. Hella roots. But not so big that it is impossible to clear with a cable. Will a jetter clear this stoppage faster and easier than a cable? Cause it's a pain with a cable having to pull the cable out, clean it off, back in, grab some roots, back out blah blah blah.
                I never really have to pump it down because I run a snake through to poke a hole in the line first unless I know the line then I might jet and turn off the jetter every now and then.

If you buy a machine that does 5000psi it will probably have a gauge, then you most times just drop the throttle down a little if you want less pressure or you could turn the unloader down but dropping the throttle is easier.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

when at all possible, if you can safely jet upstream, it makes life easy.

remember for a jetter to pull itself into a line, it has to blast water and waste the opposite direction. so going into a standing stoppage will create waste water blowing back at you.

if that's an issue then you either snake to open and jet to clean, pump it out as you go, or attack it from the opposite direction.

jetting is not always the cleanest or simplest option, but it is the best at what it does.

the jetter will turn roots into pulp and you typically don't need to clean the nozzle as it doesn't really load up like a blade. plus a jetter hose doesn't get caught like a cable in roots.

like anything else, it takes experience to get a good feel and to get your feet wet, you will get your feet wet and a whole lot more

keep on reading all the jetter threads and see if it's something you want to pursue. big money invested will usually bring back big money.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

What are the advantages to using a jetter?
                    Cleans the wall of the pipe better than a cable. Better on grease and mud.

Do they clean better?
                    In some situations yes
                    (sludge, grease, mud, etc)

And how powerful are they, are they going to slice through PVC?
                    No

What can they NOT do.
                    Work above there classifications(same with cables, you got sink machines, main line machines etc)

How effective are they at clearing root stoppages? Will they clear a sewer a cable won't?
                    With the right nozzle they do a better job.

Also what size would you, yall, recommend for basic residential sewers (4 and three and sometimes 2 inch)
                    1/4" Cobra hose

Will I be able to go down a vent with a jetter?
                    if your careful

Again thanks for the info!
                    Jetters are useful, but for residencial lines I like to cable before I jet.
                    Will Rogers Plumbing
                    Moore, Oklahoma
                    (
                    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

yesterday was all day jetting and tomorrow will be all day too along with a c/o install and some camera work on 2 different job sites.

if you have the right jetter, you will get the right jobs that others only toy with.

jetting is the answer to roots.

combine a jetter with your video and you have a win win combo. seeing is believing.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick do you have any pictures? Like on the same sewer you cabled it, took video, than jetter'd it then took another video?

Comment

Hello,

I can only tell what is happening in Spain.

One companies only work with jetters other ones only with cables. I have started with cables and now have also a jetter so I have both thinks.

So, If I have to deside to could work only with one think I will choice the cables-sectional machines.

Maybe it is because I have no root nozzle for my jetter only standard nozzles.

But 2 weeks a go have a job, done it very quick with the jetter, today the client call back blockage again.

So I take directly the cable machine, cabled and took out the roots.

This is my opinion I can tell, of course jetter is cleaner for work

Comment

A Jetter is just a garden hose if you do not have the right tip.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Rick do you have any pictures? Like on the same sewer you cabled it, took video, than jetter'd it then took another video?

today i had a 60' sewer that was jetted by others a few months back. then it plugged up and was snaked and camered by even another company last week. of
                              course there was no video made, other than a high estimate to install a c/o, and jet.

now is where i come in

i was referred to him by another plumber that was referred to him

took a look and discussed the game plan last week. he was impressed by my game plan and the fact that i was going to install a 2 way c/o. camera and locate and make a dvd, then jet to clean the entire line.

pulled up and discovered that the 20 year old line he thought was installed during the remodel was still the old 1930's cast iron. managed to cut the line with a grinder and make a very clean joint once all the dirt and rust scale was knocked off. camered to 59' reverse with heavy scale and 54' to a 6'' clay line in the alley that was 90% plugged by a gian rubber tree roots. marked it about 6' prior to the city connection.

fire up my jetter to fist blast through the 6'' root mass that's a strong 6'. of course once the tap roots are cut off from the clay joint, the nozzle pushed the mass into the city main. i then jetted upstream the 59' to end of line. camered again and noted 3 spots with some roots left. so i marked my hose and went at it again. completely sheared them clean and de-scaled all the cast iron from 59' back to the c/o and then 8' downstream.

so i have video of before and after jetting which is very impressive. but i always leave the owner the dvd. so i can't exactly share the footage with you. but i can tell you that other than a bad 45 at 44' in, the line is spotless. the owner will have me address that fitting in a couple weeks.

the second job today was 37' of 6'' and 87' of 4'' jetting only.

the jetter is the best way of cleaning a pipe, period end of discussion. but it also involves specialty nozzles and the proper jetter. not a little investment but a big commitment.

money does grow on trees when the trees roots grow into the pipe

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X