X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Root ranger review #2

Have a look at the training videos when you get a chance. You will see the operator twisting the hose to get the jet stream full exposure over the pipe surface.

Bill.

Jetters Edge Training Videos

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Super bored today so I set up some clear pvc pipe to observe the ranger in 3" pipe. The pressure cause the hose to bend and allows the nozzle to hit the sidewalls. Only 2 places actually touch the pipe; the tip of the nozzle and the opposite side of the front nose. It blows an area about 1/8 of the pipe surface. Even though the spray coverage is 25 deg, the coverage comes down as as a straight path down the pipe. I placed some tree roots near the end of the pipe and pulled back the ranger. At about 10" the nozzle from the roots, the nozzle starts cutting. 3" from the nozzle is where the spray starts to hit the surface, obviously it seemed to be the most powerful at this point. Since the spray follows the pipe surface, it sheared the roots at the surface of the pipe, the rest of the roots just flopped in the spray.

Also interesting is when the nozzle is pointed down, water collects in the pipe. As soon as you turn the nozzle up, the water drains quick, not sure why.
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Ben!

Bill has also turned me into a quick couple guy

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
        Thanks Ben!

Bill has also turned me into a quick couple guy
        what size hoses are you using with the connectors? what size pipe fittings?

have you found that the added length of the connector male/ female will not allow you to make the bend radius on the turns?

on the larger pipe sizes it's not much of an issue as it would be on the smaller sizes.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Provided you have the jetter to back it, isn't a WartHog better? It cuts roots (again-provided you have the power) you don't have to twist anything and a much lower percentage that you will be stuck.

I'll grant that the RR has better bang for the buck. But sometimes paying to not have problems and more work is worth it. No?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

for the smaller 6gpm and less machines, a rootranger works great as a warthog will not. the 1/4'' warthog is a joke and a waste of $500.00

the 3/8'' rr is good but not near as an aggressive cutter as the root ranger.

the power of the rr comes from 1 jet. all basting rearward. so it has great pull and blasting ability.

if you already have a video of the line, then it's very simple to home in on the roots and rotate the hose as needed.

the rootranger requires no maintenance and a simple rebuild of the turbine is a 1 minute job.

the warthog is very expensive for parts.

the 5 warthogs i have get used for general cleaning.

the root rangers i have get used for cutting roots and all out drain cleaning. especially on outside area drains it excels. dirt/ debris settle on the bottom of the pipe. the rootranger destroys anything in its path. the one thing the rootranger doesn't do well is forward cutting. the front nozzle is undersized.

in 2 days i have 3 jetting jobs sch. 2 of them will be rootrangers and 1 will be just a general cleaning with standard nozzle.

last time the roots were jetted was 2/10. not bad for 18 months between cleaning. use to be 2 x a year with cabling.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

JC, something I noticed with the ranger is how the spray comes out. It's right on the pipe at a steep angle. The warthog cuts away from the top of pipe at a shallow angle. I belive this allows for a strong spray. Something else to take into consideration is the jetter using a ranger. Typically they use 1/4" or 3/8 hose...easy to rotate. Handling 1/2" hose is a totally different beast. I would never want to rotate 1/2 hose all day. The sewer line I did that started the review was screwed....it was truly the worst line I've ever seen through a camera in regards to roots. The ranger was able to plow through them. I know it won't be able to take out every blockage but I figure I spent about 600 for 120' 1 1/4 cable....this will allow me to start a hole for the ranger. Do the math on a big jetter and warthog...way more then 600.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick my specs are 5.6 gpm @ 3500psi 18hp

jet hose is 3/8" with the nozzle end being 1/4"mip and yes with certain 4" cleanout tees i have a hard time to make the turn but can get it to go with some trickery

Comment

Working...
                X