Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grease build ups on new home sewers ?

The little city I live in requires backwater valves to be installed if your sewer is repaired, and on all all new construction. The city has had to pay to pump out quite a few crawlspaces, and clean/replace more than a few carpets.

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
    Why exactly are they requiring backwater valves on new construction?!?!?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

In my small town we only have to install backwater valves if your connecting to the sewer and. The client has fixture that are below in elavation of the closest downstream manhole? I cant see why every house would need one they just cause problems?

Comment

Seanny, the rule you describe is the correct way. The city I actually live in is very small, and would rather let the customers deal with their own sewer backing up than have to deal with the aging city sewer backing up.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have found that if I use Dawn dish soap, doing the cleaning or cleaning the milking equipment, the drains in the meat room and milk room in the barn stay, very clean, there plastic piping.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I don't understand why bother installing backwater valves in new construction. Why not juts put in an overhead sewer.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ratz, a backwater valve works when the power is out, and has fewer moving parts than pumping sewage up to an overhead sewer. Any method will have downsides.

Comment

Overhead sewer means a pump for the basement only. They will still be able to use the first floor, and up plumbing with out any issues when the power is out.
                Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                Ratz, a backwater valve works when the power is out, and has fewer moving parts than pumping sewage up to an overhead sewer. Any method will have downsides.

Comment

I follow what you're saying, It might just be the way we were taught. I typically avoid pumping sewage any time I can. The pump is just something else to go out on a saturday night.

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Overhead sewer means a pump for the basement only. They will still be able to use the first floor, and up plumbing with out any issues when the power is out.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    I follow what you're saying, It might just be the way we were taught. I typically avoid pumping sewage any time I can. The pump is just something else to go out on a saturday night.
                    So then tell me when the city sewer backs up and is pushing the backwater valve shut, where does the water the house use go? In the homes I seen that have only a backwater valve, they have to stop using water all together during a city sewer back up or they will flood out their own basements. A flood control system with a backwater valve and a pump will let them use their whole house as long as they have power. But an overhead sewer will let them use water during a city sewer back up any time even if the power is out or the ejector pump goes out. As I said the ejector is only for the basement plumbing everything above that will work fine.

Comment

So what you're saying is every house should have a hung sewer and a sewage ejector crock for all lower level fixtures.Even when you can gravity flow everything???.Personally if my house needed it I would rather have the backwater valve.The counties around me tell me the other reason they are making us install backwater valves is for when the city jets nothing blows back into peoples houses..Who woulda thought? Still the bottom line is when the city sewer is overtaxed you're done anyhow
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Around here lots of cities and villages want you to install overhead sewers. And homes that have a gravity system that exerainces city sewer back ups, the cities tell them the best flood control is an overhead sewer. When I get calls for people that flood I give them prices of a outdoor flood control, and indoor system like the Tramco 960, and a price to convert to an overhead sewer system.

Comment

the city would be fools to jet downstream with their monster combo trucks. out here they jet upstream 99% of the time with no issues.

if i could jet upstream 99% of the time, i wouldn't need to even think anymore about nozzles and hose selection.

out here a backwater valve installed on fixtures that are not below the down stream curb level is illegal.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

If you don't need them, then you do NOT need them. You said it was a city ordinance? Which code are you under? And can't you go to the state and dispute this and get them removed with their permission if they are indeed 100% unnescessary? Seems to me if they are CAUSING problems are are not needed in the first palce, then you could get a state official to allow you to remove them and the city couldn't say shi... I think I remember a post/thread by NHmaster that said something to the effect that when push comes to shove, the city can't change the plumbing code. Someone correct me if I am wrong cause I can't find that post to save my life.

Comment

Stolen, Depends on your state, here in Missouri there is no state licensing and individual municipalities can set their own code. so the city my house is in can require it, and there really isn't much to be done about it, short of trying to change the city ordinance.

Ratz, except for the places that require the whole house to be on a backwater valve "like my house," when we install one the upstairs isn't affected by it, the valve gets tied into the sewer between the affected fixtures and the service, so you can still gravity flush the upstairs piping "as long as water can escape the manhole" when the backwater valve is forced closed.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                                So then tell me when the city sewer backs up and is pushing the backwater valve shut, where does the water the house use go? In the homes I seen that have only a backwater valve, they have to stop using water all together during a city sewer back up or they will flood out their own basements. A flood control system with a backwater valve and a pump will let them use their whole house as long as they have power. But an overhead sewer will let them use water during a city sewer back up any time even if the power is out or the ejector pump goes out. As I said the ejector is only for the basement plumbing everything above that will work fine.
                                Where I live on the NW side of the city, the past few heavy rains flooded the street, it was over the curb. Wouldn't a valve w/ a pump be better in this situation? The last time this happened my first floor toilet wouldn't flush.

Comment

Working...
                                X