Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease build ups on new home sewers ?

Grease build ups on new home sewers ?

I have been in the same subdivision doing work on 4 different homes at least ¼-1/2 mile apart in my service area.

And all of these home are less than 5 years old.

And all share the same problem. Heavy grease build up. 70-90% blockage in the home under floor.
    3”-4" PVC all home have back flow valves.

All are clean families. And swear they don’t abuse there sewers ?

It is money in the bank for me but I would like to give an answer as to why it keeps happening.

The plumbing in 3 of the 4 homes is all correct. no bellies or obstructions.

The only thing I can tell them as of now is.

I have been seeing this a lot the last few years, and I am contributing it to anti bacteria soaps and cleaners killing all the good germs and bacteria. And this is allowing the solids and waste to remain in the sewer. Also having low flow toilets is also a contributing to the problem by not allowing the waste to flush out of the system….

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks mike
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Re: Grease build ups on new home sewers ?

mike, the backwater valves are part of the problem. they do retain waste. are the valves in good working order? do they really need them?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The valves are in good condition. And it is a city ordinance now for new construction

Also under camera inspection there was also a lot of grease in the lateral as well
      Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

Count how many fast food restaurants there are within a mile. If there are more than a few there's your answer. People with fast food readily available will choose that over eating healthy everyday. The human body doesn't process grease well so it ends up in our sewer system.

If your poop floats, you're eating too much grease.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          The human body doesn't process grease well so it ends up in our sewer system.If your poop floats, you're eating too much grease.
          Really? Didn't realize that.

Can't wait to tell a hot customer this one...hehe

Comment

Do like Chicago and install a grease trap under the sinks.
            Attached Files
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              Do like Chicago and install a grease trap under the sinks.
              You guys have to install that under residential kitchen sinks?

Comment

In multifamily homes with out an outside catch basin, yes. (3 or more family)
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  In multifamily homes with out an outside catch basin, yes. (3 or more family)

I'm glad things are still simple around here.

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                    all home have back flow valves.
                    Therein lies your problem. As Rick said, backwater valves restrict flow. I see this frequently in homes with backwater valves around here in Chicago. Nearly all combined sewers around here and flooding through the sewer system is a hot button issue.

The best bet is to remove the flapper and jet the line periodically.

I hate backwater valves. Is Appleton requiring them because of flooding in combined sewers during heavy rainfall?

I prefer to install a lift station over a backwater valve any day of the week.

This is my preferred set up for flood prevention: Tramco Pump
                    Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

No combination here sanitary and storm are separate.

Drain tile goes into sump pumps and pumped on the lawns or into city storm sewers
                      Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                      1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Count how many fast food restaurants there are within a mile. If there are more than a few there's your answer. People with fast food readily available will choose that over eating healthy everyday. The human body doesn't process grease well so it ends up in our sewer system.

If your poop floats, you're eating too much grease.
                        When I got out of College and was hired at Chemed, my div. V.P. provided me with extensive training. His experience came from being the senior plant manager for the City of Anaheim Sewage Department. His expertise in waste water was so good that he could tell what nationality of tourists were in the Disneyland area by the anabolic make up of the waste stream at any given time of year. (the type of food they would eat) It was critical that every person in that department understood this so that they could maintain balanced treatment plants.

Comment

Looking at it from another angle. You can suggest that once a week they dump a cup of dish soap down the drain with some water. The concentrated emulsifiers in the detergent will alleviate the problem.

We don't do jetting or drain service, but I still have some customers that will call us up with these problems. Over the years I know which ones are the "grease" down the drain culprits. Persians are notorious for pouring pots of grease right down the drain. I started most of them on this type of weekly regiment and viola, no more grease clogged line issues.

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                            No combination here sanitary and storm are separate.

Drain tile goes into sump pumps and pumped on the lawns or into city storm sewers

Why exactly are they requiring backwater valves on new construction?!?!?

?????????????????

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bizarre requirement?

You loose all velocity of the flow when a backwater valve is introduced!!

I must be missing something....Did they have issues with the city mains backing up?

You mentioned that the laterals were caked with grease too....what size and type pipe are they?

Comment

No clue why they require them. It started in 2003 I think.

City back ups are not common here at all.

Yes there was a trace of grease in the main. But nothing like under the floor.
                              Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                              X