X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size the pump for a jetter engine

Let me explain, I just got a 24hp honda engine and want to build a big jetter with it and need to know what size pump that it can power. I know the formula for pump/engine sizing but Honda was found to give false hp rating. That's why they don't give the hp anymore to their engines. Originally I wanted to use a 7gpm 4000 psi gear driven udor pump but am wondering if I need to step it down some. Any thoughts?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Size the pump for a jetter engine

look at this link for the bolt on gear reduced pump.
    UDORĀ®

half way down is your 7 gpm/ 4000 psi 24hp pump. GKC 26/28-GR7.0400024 HP Gas seal kit UD-10 valve kit UD-31 55 lbs.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That was the original pump I had planned for the engine but I'm thinking I need to go to the 7gpm 3500 psi pump instead. On paper, the numbers look better for the 3500 psi pump.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

stick with the 4000# model. no one says you need to crank up the unloader.

the 4000 will do 3500 by adjusting the unloader. while the 3500 will put a hard load on the pump by going up to 4000#.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yes like rick said buy the 4000 psi model. I bought there 10 gpm 3000 psi model and the 10 gpm part is correct but with hose and tip no matter what I do the 3000 is a little scarce but the 10 gpm is there so to anyone buying a pump i say buy the psi as the gpm will be there and hope you come near the rated psi. Since I actually got to a 4000 psi machine I take no prisoners I am still looking to buy a 5000 psi machine with 4-5 gpm cart style as my root killer. And Hondas lies about the 24hp should read (peak) 22 hp to 20 hp is more correct.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Cuda..why the preference for 5gpm 5000psi pump?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Actually looking at the udor link I might want the GKC 21/35-GR that was 5.5 gpm and turn the unloader down to the psi that was needed for the job. If this was a portable unit (skid or wheels) for 6" and under lines. But the 4000 psi 7 gpm pump looks good also the price would be my determining factor.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Cuda..why the preference for 5gpm 5000psi pump?
                Because I dont think you will get 4000 psi with hose and tip off the other pump maybe like 3800 or 3500 with different tips and might spend too much time on some stubborn roots trying and trying to cut them free. Once they are cut I can take a garden hose and flush then away with a cart unit. But I am a guy who started with too much gpm and not enough pressure to do a perfect job. So Now I like high psi to beat the roots.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

what size hose do you plan to use? will you have a water supply tank?

or, to get to the 'root' question, what do you want to do with it?

no need for 7gpm in 4", really no need for it in 6". would not hurt you to have 7gpm except that you need bigger hose and a supply tank with 7gpm vs 5 and the bigger hose may stop you from doing things in smaller lines from poor access. you can dial down rpm to get less than 7gpm to run with smaller hose if you don't mind having a second reel... the hp will be lower at lower rpm, but w/o looking at it in detail i think it will be ok.

agree with others get the higher psi capable pump regardless of flow choice; you don't NEED to run it flat out, and the capability is there, and I think the honda will do it anyway...
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I was planning on 200' of 3/8" as my main along with 1/4" and 1/8". My primary usage would be root removal. I would like to get into resturant PM but that doesn't look likely for right now. I want to have a 3/8 warthog. Is there any issue reducing down from 3/8 to 1/4" so I can use my root ranger with the 3/8 hose? I was planning on getting a bigger nozzle for the ranger. I was planning on having a 8 gal water tank with it.

So it looks like everyone is recommending the 7gpm 4000 psi pump? I talked to an engineer at Gorlitz today and he said that pump would work as long as it's gear driven....not sure if this is true but that's what he said.

Also, everyone talks about having pressure loss with the unloader...should I get a bigger unloader to lower the loss?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gear reduced pump is easier to set up compared to belts and pulleys. pretty much a bolt on setup.

the unloader is basically a pressure regulator with an adjustable high pressure relief/ bypass.

every piece of pipe or fitting will take away some psi. but that's why you measure the outlet pressure and adjust for it. 3/8'' hose at 7gpm will lose approx 1.5# per foot or 300# in the 200' hose you want to run.

who did you talk to at gorlitz? they tend to use giant pumps.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Talked to Udor today, they also said that the 7gpm 4000 psi pump will work on that engine. Funny thing was both udor and gorlitz tried to push for higher volume (8gpm+) and less pressure. Maybe this is American jetting but thinking about it, Aussie style with high pressure and low volume makes more sense in regards to cutting power.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The Honda GX690 is still a low HP motor. We tested a 6GPM Bertolini pump 5000psi with a GX690 and it kept cutting out. We then coupled it with a Briggs Vanguard 27 and it ran with ease.

I would seriously consider high pressure/low flow. You don't have water supply issues and the pressure does all the work for you! 60m 1/4" then 60m 3/16".... job done under $8k!
                          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill, ever damage the pipe or blow components with such high pressure?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This thread is very, very. very informative.

Thanks to all who have posted. I know feel like I have 1/2 of 1% of a clue about jetting

It makes a lot of sense that you will cut faster with the higher PSI.
                              Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 09-14-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X