Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• city main stoppage, while i'm at a party.

i get an emergency call tonight while i'm out to dinner at a party. the manager calls to tell me the building i jetted last month with 7 cleanouts is backing up at the east end. of course i don't have my computer with me so i go off of memory and track record.

i tell the building engineer (200 unit building) to go check the manhole in the middle of the street. see if there's standing water. of course he can't get the lid off so i ask him to push a stick or a piece of conduit into the top finger hole and tell me when you hit water.

he calls back and says that about 4'6'' from the top is standing water. i tell him to call the city and have them jet the city manhole to manhole.

saved the day and stayed at the party.

engineer calls me back to say it was a city issue and they will clean up the garage

i guess knowing my customers keeps me from having to worry about the job.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: city main stoppage, while i'm at a party.

Good save. Nothing worse than thinking there was a problem with work you did and later find out that it was somebody else's problem.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Pat on the back.

Comment

How would the big box truck Co. have handeled the same situation. And what do You think the charges would have been ? Now please answer Plumbus,s shower trough Question ,Big Guy.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick,

If you go out there on a sat night, or any time, and it's a city/ council choke, do they pay you ? Thats how it happens in Aust.

Just curious that's all.

Comment

the reason why i felt it was the city, was because i've got a track record there. there are 7 different cleanouts that stub out of the 200 unit building. this particular 5'' c/o runs separate into it's own manhole location. had the engineer not been there last night to talk to, i would have had to go and look for myself.

of course if i go out there and it turns out not to be a building issue, then i would have called the city on my own. being a sunday night, late and out of the neighborhood, i would have charged them a service call. the building would pay it and i doubt that the city of la would repay them.

the handful of times this has happened in beverly hills, the city repaid the building. then finally after 9 years of issues, they relined 900' of main in the alley.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Just what are you thinking Rick? That you can actually go out somewhere? Just thinking of going out will make the phone ring.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                How would the big box truck Co. have handeled the same situation. And what do You think the charges would have been ? Now please answer Plumbus,s shower trough Question ,Big Guy.
                It would probably have been a warranty call. they would have sent the on call guy to do it, which probably would have been pissed. Depending on how good he was, and most times big companies hire big idiots, he would not have checked the manhole. then he would have jetted the lines for probably 2 hours before getting the idea to pull the manhole. If at all. And then he would really be pissed once he found out that it was a city issue to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                X